Who's to blame for cheap makeovers

J4546

I dont hate PIxar Pier, I dont think the retheme is too garish and I like the area overall, with 10 rides, a great show, a bunch of food and merch options as well as the midway style carnival games area.....Im like the Pier area a lot actually but if they took away the "incredibles theming" from Incredicoaster and renamed it back to California Screaming Id be pleased.

Also I like the GotG tower ride quite a bit and the Pacific Wharf to SanFransokyo is looking good to me as well. Different opinions from different people.

Professortango1

The blame ultimately lies with the public as they keep paying money to pose in IG-friendly refreshes and line up for shoe-horned cheap overlays.

I don't blame Joe Rohde for leaving. Being stuck doing Mission BO with no budget and then having it set to open the same exact day as Pandora, his project. Disney Parks Management just wants it done quickly and cheaply with no room for artistry and the right ideas.

Dear Prudence

Has anyone here actually seen the Pacific Wharf to SanFransokyo makeover, or is this based on photos? I am not thrilled with the IP shoehorning, but does it look good in person?

TrainsOfDisney

Has anyone here actually seen the Pacific Wharf to SanFransokyo makeover, or is this based on photos? I am not thrilled with the IP shoehorning, but does it look good in person?
I have. It doesn’t look bad, it’s well done. I think the bridge messes up some of the sight lines of Pixar pier but I’m not sure how much that hurts in this case.

I just don’t get it, kinda like the tangled toilets at Magic Kingdom. It looks really nice but why not build a baymax experience instead of a Baymax food court? I don’t get the appeal or the point.

I mean at least put in a flat ride for the poor little guy haha.

J4546

because there was already a food court there and putting in a new ride would have made this light makeover a very expensive project

J4546

The light makeover is already a very expensive project. The cost of a new flat ride is in the single digit millions. They’re the sort of things small parks add as a small addition.
I feel like the cost of a single flat ride in a disney park is in the 10s of millions. Even for something like the baymax ride in Tokyo Im sure that cost 20+ million. Not saying I agree with it, but Disney costs are very high. I could be wrong though but I bet tearing out the food area and putting in a small Baymax ride like in Tokyo would also cost multiple 10s of millions.

Consumer

I feel like the cost of a single flat ride in a disney park is in the 10s of millions. Even for something like the baymax ride in Tokyo Im sure that cost 20+ million. Not saying I agree with it, but Disney costs are very high. I could be wrong though but I bet tearing out the food area and putting in a small Baymax ride like in Tokyo would also cost multiple 10s of millions.
That’s money the Walt Disney Co. just doesn’t have.

lazyboy97o

That Disney is paying multiples more than others for a ride from Zamperla is a problem. Even just redoing some thing costs huge sums. Pixar Pier cost more than Expédition Everest.

TrainsOfDisney

Isn't the Baymax ride in Tokyo just a re-skin of Mater? So it's not like they could clone what they already have right next door.
it would still be popular and would look very different. MK has dumbo, Astro, and Flying carpets and nobody complains.

Of course the fact that a clone still costs so much money is a problem. It’s like Disney has set up a corporation so that it costs as much money as possible to do anything.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Web Slingers begs to differ lol
Baymax and Mater are the same exact attraction reskinned. I couldn't go on either.

WEB SLINGERS is a more technologically advanced hands free vs. manual shooter and unlike Midway Mania, doesn't make me want to puke from vertigo. I can't even watch a ridethrough of Midway Mania without getting nauseous. But I can go on WEB SLINGERS repeatedly with no motion sickness problem. Different attractions, though granted, similar as shooter concepts. Also, not right next door to each other. They're across the park. I make that hike from one end of the park to the other regularly. It's not close.

Professortango1

Baymax and Mater are the same exact attraction reskinned. I couldn't go on either.

WEB SLINGERS is a more technologically advanced hands free vs. manual shooter and unlike Midway Mania, doesn't make me want to puke from vertigo. I can't even watch a ridethrough of Midway Mania without getting nauseous. But I can go on WEB SLINGERS repeatedly with no motion sickness problem. Different attractions, though granted, similar as shooter concepts. Also, not right next door to each other. They're across the park. I make that hike from one end of the park to the other regularly. It's not close.
They are the same ride. Same vehicle, same layout. Web is just more generic feeling.

They are also pretty close to one another. Its like saying Buzz and Peter Pan are far apart.

lazyboy97o

No, not just similar as shooting concepts. Same ride system and very similar layout too. It’s just the shooting mechanic that is different. Your motion sickness is also completely irrelevant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom