Who wants Lord of the Rings at Universal?

awoogala

I think that it would be a good addition to Universal, but Theme Park Insider posted an article today saying that Disney is close to a deal for LotR.
Weird, considering the vitriol that Tolkien had for Disney. He thought Disney was plain awful, and wanted to make sure his stuff was never touched by Disney.

Yankeesfan5

Weird, considering the vitriol that Tolkien had for Disney. He thought Disney was plain awful, and wanted to make sure his stuff was never touched by Disney.
That's the key. They agreed with Warner Bros. on a deal, but the Tolkien family still has to approve the deal. However, the family isn't happy with Jackson's films either, so I don't know what is going to happen with this.

awoogala

That's the key. They agreed with Warner Bros. on a deal, but the Tolkien family still has to approve the deal. However, the family isn't happy with Jackson's films either, so I don't know what is going to happen with this.
I read the "article", which is a re-cap of another "article", which is based on a rumor. In other words, all conjecture- basically, the same thing we are doing in this thread.

Yankeesfan5

I read the "article", which is a re-cap of another "article", which is based on a rumor. In other words, all conjecture- basically, the same thing we are doing in this thread.
That's true. I just found it to be an interesting report and one that applied to this thread, so I wanted to share with the crowd.

awoogala

That's true. I just found it to be an interesting report and one that applied to this thread, so I wanted to share with the crowd.
I understand. If Disney gets it, I'm afraid they will sit on it and barely do enough.. like "star tours". I am hoping Uni gets it, due to their excellent handling of Potter (from most reports- have not been there yet myself). Also, Disney has years of Avatar to finish- we all know they can't handle 2 projects at once.. which means it wouldn't happen until 2020 at least!
I also just don't see the Tolkiens handing it over to Disney, that's why I don't buy the "rumors". I'd love to know the sources, but I don't think it's anymore than "what-if" wishes at this point.

Yankeesfan5

I understand. If Disney gets it, I'm afraid they will sit on it and barely do enough.. like "star tours". I am hoping Uni gets it, due to their excellent handling of Potter (from most reports- have not been there yet myself). Also, Disney has years of Avatar to finish- we all know they can't handle 2 projects at once.. which means it wouldn't happen until 2020 at least!
I also just don't see the Tolkiens handing it over to Disney, that's why I don't buy the "rumors". I'd love to know the sources, but I don't think it's anymore than "what-if" wishes at this point.
I fully agree. I went to UNI for the 1st time in January immediately following a visit to WDW, and it has astonished me how fast they have been able to build impressive projects. The difference between Jaws and Diagon Alley will be just 2 years. Meanwhile, it has taken Disney that long on a kiddie coaster.

Bairstow

Disagree. Not the popeye ride. I love water rides and three that are there are fine.

Bilge Rat Barges and Me Ship, Olive are kind of on their own little peninsula, and are the only bits of Toon Lagoon that exist in a cohesive "world", so perhaps they could keep only them and do something with the rest of the Toon area, as well as the Aggro Circus arena?

BryceM

Bilge Rat Barges and Me Ship, Olive are kind of on their own little peninsula, and are the only bits of Toon Lagoon that exist in a cohesive "world", so perhaps they could keep only them and do something with the rest of the Toon area, as well as the Aggro Circus arena?
I agree. I love the Sweet Haven area of Toon Lagoon, with Me Ship and Popeye. It's really nice, and like you said "exist in a cohesive world".

RyenDeckard

I think that it would be a good addition to Universal, but Theme Park Insider posted an article today saying that Disney is close to a deal for LotR.

They also then posted on twitter that people should "read between the lines" on that article.

The only time they said "LOTR is coming to Disney" is when they said that another website said that. They then went on to list a ton of reasons why LOTR probably won't come to Disney and that Universal is apparently "closing in on a deal".

Yankeesfan5

They also then posted on twitter that people should "read between the lines" on that article.

The only time they said "LOTR is coming to Disney" is when they said that another website said that. They then went on to list a ton of reasons why LOTR probably won't come to Disney and that Universal is apparently "closing in on a deal".
I also stated later that I found it interesting and just wanted to share with the crowd.

IAmFloridaBorn

I agree. I love the Sweet Haven area of Toon Lagoon, with Me Ship and Popeye. It's really nice, and like you said "exist in a cohesive world".
Popeye is untouchable. The ride system. I have no problem for a retheming but that style ride is the best of it's kind IMO.
Regarding the rest of Toon, I love toon, and maybe Toon has had it's day but I don't want to lose a water ride for a dark ride. Not fair to those of us who like to cool off for the 7 months of heat. If they did take away dudley maybe they could build a water ride in Uni to balance it. Then I'd be okay.

Disneyhead'71

I had a dream where Me and a bunch of dwarves (or maybe just heavy set hairy guys from where ever Duck Dynasty is shot) were trapped in the Elvinking's Wine Cellar. I had to drink a whole bottle of his wine to build up the courage to climb into one of those barrels to make an escape.

The Lord of the Rings: Universal or Disney? UNIVERSAL! I hope!
PicsArt_1382707485374.jpg

luv

Not me. Not a fan.

But I'm not much of a Spider-Man or Simpsons fan, either...and I LOVE those rides!!

I'm kind of maxed out on Big Franchise stuff. Attractions based on movies or books - fine, great. But the rest of it...BTDT. Enough is enough. IMO.

HakunaMatata89

if they do get the theme park rights ill be very interested in the concept art. i do want to see LOTR in a theme park but only if it is done right and im not expecting it because of how the franchise has been against giving away their baby.

IWant2GoNow

I do. But I think if Universal got the rights (which I'd much rather see happen at this point in time), they should wait until this 3rd gate is built & make that a giant anchor land towards the rear of the park. A nice backdrop to open an amazingly detailed Universal gate.

IndianaJones

I'm kind of on the fence about this.

Loved the books, really enjoyed the movies(although I haven't seen The Hobbit yet, which really aggravates me), but I just really am unsure of how they could pull it off.

To me, I can look at something like Harry Potter or Star Wars and say, okay I can see how they'd make that fun and immersive for everyone, even if you aren't a fan of the source material. LOTR on the other hand would be a bit harder IMHO. I just think that it would be awesome for those who love the material and just meh for those who do not.

That's not to say that Universal Creative wouldn't do something that is absolutely amazing, because recently they have not given me any reason to doubt them.

Just my two cents. If it were to happen, I'd want to see some concept art and get some type of idea on what they were going to do with the property before I made a true decision.

Love the discussion though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom