• Josh D’maro

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Tom Staggs

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Kevin Mayer

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

TsWade2

I don't know if Tom Staggs is interested to become CEO of Disney, but just in case if I'm wrong and I hope I am, I'll go with Tom Staggs.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
If they wanted Staggs and Meyer, they would have to buy Candle Media (minus Moonbug and Hello Sunshine). In order to do so, they would sell the Fox assets they got and abort getting all of Hulu.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If they wanted Staggs and Meyer, they would have to buy Candle Media (minus Moonbug and Hello Sunshine). In order to do so, they would sell the Fox assets they got and abort getting all of Hulu.
As I said in the other thread where you brought this up, Candle Media is a rather small company, only worth about $7B. Disney doesn't have to sell Hulu or Fox in order to purchase it, if they wanted to do so. They have the cash on-hand to do, or given Disney's current market valuation of $168B they can do an all stock deal.

Either way I don't see any reason why Disney would want Candle Media, especially if they just want Staggs and/or Meyers. The board can make them an offer and they can leave Candle Media without Disney buying it. Plus there is no indication that either of them would be willing to come back to Disney anyways.

Also as been said already in other threads, there is no indication that Iger/Disney wants to reverse course and get rid of Hulu or Fox. It makes very little financial sense in any of these scenarios.

dmeets

I wouldn't mind Staggs, and of those in the conversation he seems to have the widest breadth of knowledge across the portfolio, but isn't this primarily the same board that already gave him a vote of no confidence once?

Sorry, D'Amaro, I don't see them again going for someone from the Parks side of the house and minimal knowledge of the film/TV/DTC side. I've got to think they want someone who knows how to stop the hemorrhaging in streaming. Which would also rule out McCarthy: Guardian of Waistlines.

I haven't read his book yet but I thought Iger had credited Mayer as his right hand man being key to many of the big acquisitions so I would think he might be Iger's preferred choice (but then that's what I thought three years ago so what do I know). He launched Disney+ but I'm not sure if the board considers that as a plus or a minus -- it certainly wasn't enough to give him the nod over Chapek.

Ultimately I went with Rice since I'd only heard good things about his tenure, he's not a micromanager, and it'd be one final middle finger to Chapek. Plus since Iger wasn't responsible for Rice's firing, it wouldn't reflect on some... prior decisions the way bringing back Mayer would. Downside would be his limited parks knowledge, and if he got the nod he'd probably soon have to find a new Chairperson of Parks, Experiences and Products. Unless the company restores the position of COO in order to keep D'Amaro with the company.

But I'm not sure if Mayer or Rice would even want to come back unless there was some overhauling of the current board since they were all in on Chapek until they weren't.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes

This article postulates that Iger could choose not one but two successors; Dana Walden and Alan Bergman.
I have to say I think I'm in favor of this idea. I've always felt that Disney is at its most successful financially and creatively when it has a business type(Bergman) and a creative(Walden) at the helm. Think Walt and Roy or Eisner and Wells. Or even the creative freedom Iger gives the heads of Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, Pixar, and Disney Animation.

They have strengths, too. Walden has spent decades in Hollywood building relationships with creatives and is well-liked. Her portfolio at 20th Television speaks for itself, with Modern Family, Only Murders in the Building, The Dropout, Dopesick, etc.

Alan Bergman has been with Disney for 30 years and was the right-hand man for Alan Horn, one of the most respected studio heads in history. He also has the confidence of Kevin Feige and others.

I'm just saying that if they can work well together, Walden and Bergman would be a much more appealing succession duo than any of the other ideas I've seen.
I’m hoping Dana and Alan will have the guts to become the new Disney CEOs, perhaps even becoming the new Eisner and Wells. Perhaps they are already being trained by Mr. Iger right now.

MarvelCharacterNerd

This article postulates that Iger could choose not one but two successors; Dana Walden and Alan Bergman.
I have to say I think I'm in favor of this idea. I've always felt that Disney is at its most successful financially and creatively when it has a business type(Bergman) and a creative(Walden) at the helm. Think Walt and Roy or Eisner and Wells. Or even the creative freedom Iger gives the heads of Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, Pixar, and Disney Animation.

They have strengths, too. Walden has spent decades in Hollywood building relationships with creatives and is well-liked. Her portfolio at 20th Television speaks for itself, with Modern Family, Only Murders in the Building, The Dropout, Dopesick, etc.

Alan Bergman has been with Disney for 30 years and was the right-hand man for Alan Horn, one of the most respected studio heads in history. He also has the confidence of Kevin Feige and others.

I'm just saying that if they can work well together, Walden and Bergman would be a much more appealing succession duo than any of the other ideas I've seen.
Dana is definitely in the mix for top choices at this point, but I like the thought of pairing her with Bergman to shore up each other's strengths and weaknesses.

There are worse options than this.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
There are worse options than this.
Like trying to make a youth elixir for Michael Eisner and perform necromancy to bring Frank Wells back from the dead? 🤣

Anyway, I would go for Alan and Dana as the new co-CEOs of Disney, just as long as they:

1) Have the same mindset as Eisner and Wells in the early 90s.

2) Give Josh D'Amaro the boot, so the parks can be great again, make new creative attractions/expansions, and go easy on the IP.

3) Sell off 20th Century Studios (basically its films and shows), and use the production resources of the unit to relaunch Touchstone Pictures.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
Now Fox Business is reporting that NBA commissioner Adam Silver is on the short list, along with Dana Walden and Kevin Mayer, to replace Iger. I can tell he doesn’t have the creative spirit, which is a big no-no for Disney. I’m still rooting for both Walden and Bergman as co-CEOs.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Um…probably none of those people…but I guess Mayer if I was a hostage?

By the way…I have 100% privileged financial data that I’d like to share with everyone here about the management. All hail, Caesar!!!🏛️

Attachments

• 416AE328-2010-4231-AE67-14006955D824.jpeg
    416AE328-2010-4231-AE67-14006955D824.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 47

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Now Fox Business is reporting that NBA commissioner Adam Silver is on the short list, along with Dana Walden and Kevin Mayer, to replace Iger. I can tell he doesn’t have the creative spirit, which is a big no-no for Disney. I’m still rooting for both Walden and Bergman as co-CEOs.

You know what stiff had no creative “spirit”?
1678214919856.jpeg

And you know who had one?

1678215028498.jpeg

…results vary

TsWade2

I’m hoping Dana and Alan will have the guts to become the new Disney CEOs, perhaps even becoming the new Eisner and Wells. Perhaps they are already being trained by Mr. Iger right now.
Well, I'm not sure about that, but if it's possible to have two CEOS like Eisner and Wells, then I suppose Walden and Bergman will do, if they have creative minds. I hope!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom