Who should be excluded to help with the overcrowding problem.

hsisthebest

Original Poster
It seems like 2 of the top issues discussed on these forums is cost and overcrowding. I am legitimately interested in how WDW would combat the latter. If capacity is not improved (which it seems like it won't to the point where it would be beneficial) then the only other option to the overcrowding issue is having less people in the parks.
So my question is, who has to stay away or go to another park so that people who do not like the crowds can have a better time?

-Is it the loud tour groups who have been accused of unruly behavior?
-Is it passholders and other "vacation warriors" who try to ride as many attractions as possible without spending much on food or souvenirs (hey I used to be one) ?
-Is it families (like mine now) that enjoy fastpass+ that wander around the parks enjoying the atmosphere and riding what they can and not sweating what they can't.
-Is it time to limit locals (that spend $$$ on food and alcohol) like Disneyland does?

I myself enjoyed the late 90's and early 00's where EPCOT and MGM would be so empty at near closing/magic hours that you could walk around like you own the place.
But I also now don't despise the crowds- I believe everyone else has as much a right to enjoy the parks as me so it is difficult to imagine trying to price out or limit certain people because I have some right to enjoy the parks more than others (again assuming I'm not in one of the excluded groups).
*steps off soapbox now*

TrainsOfDisney

You fix the over crowding by giving the crowds more to see and do property wide. The new Cirque show is a good example.

Magic Kingdom’s announced Main Street theatre would have helped a lot. MK could also open up Diamond Horseshoe as a performance venue again, reopen closed restaurants, bring back quality entertainment that’s been cut in storybook circus, fantasyland, liberty square, tommorowland, Frontierland, and Adventureland (Main Street is literally the only land that has regular live entertainment.... with the one exception of Main Street philharmonic doing a set in storybook circus).

Running parades day and night. Right now they should be doing FOF as a night parade. Night parades help to distribute the crowds since many guests will choose fireworks OR the night parade and not both.

Running attractions at maximum capacity would also help.

The problem is not the crowds....

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Running parades day and night. Right now they should be doing FOF as a night parade. Night parades help to distribute the crowds since many guests will choose fireworks OR the night parade and not both.
A nighttime parade is a giant bottleneck, especially in a castle park with Main Street as the only way in or out. It's about the worst thing you could possibly do to make the parks feel less crowded.

IanDLBZF

You fix the over crowding by giving the crowds more to see and do property wide. The new Cirque show is a good example.
As will MMRR and RRA once they open this year. WDW needs more major expansions as well. Not just at Epcot and HWS, but MK and AK are in great need.

A nighttime parade is a giant bottleneck, especially in a castle park with Main Street as the only way in or out. It's about the worst thing you could possibly do to make the parks feel less crowded.
I disagree to an extent. Nighttime parades could actually help with post fireworks crowds.

TrainsOfDisney

I disagree, having only 1 major nighttime offering is causing the crowding. Previously there were 2 night parades and 1 fireworks show which helped to spread out the crowds considerably.

The best crowd control I’ve ever seen was during the 60th of Disneyland which saw insane crowds and yet they were evenly distributed with 2 showings of paint the night, 2 showings of Fantasmic, and 1 of Disneyland Forever.

TrainsOfDisney

As will MMRR and RRA once they open this year. WDW needs more major expansions as well. Not just at Epcot and HWS, but MK and AK are in great need.

Rat. will help some but Harmonious, if done well, will be a big help to distribute all-day into the night crowds.

I don’t think MMRR will do much, I’m not sure why they bothered with it right now, the crowds were going to come for Star Wars no matter what. If they had ADDED Mickey’s runaway rr it would have made sense to help the park take the bigger crowds... but that’s not what happened.

DAK needed a real nighttime show to do its part, while it doesn’t have that Rivers, tree of life shows, and Avatar at night do help some.

drizgirl

Night parades occupy people for extended periods of time. Wanna guess when one of the best times was to do a top tier attraction?

Disney can handle the crowd control. They did for many years. They just choose not to any longer.

OneofThree

I believe everyone else has as much a right to enjoy the parks as me so it is difficult to imagine trying to price out or limit certain people because I have some right to enjoy the parks more than others (again assuming I'm not in one of the excluded groups).

Hmmm, let's see; discussing a trip to Disney in the context of a "right". Not so much. Also, discussing a product/service as if the dollar really cares who's spending it. Not so much. Disney will do what it believes will drive shareholder value, probably with an eye on short term performance. That is all that matters to executive management, because that is what the shareholders are paying them for. They are not getting paid to "care" about people who don't appreciate having to navigate a sea of bodies any more than they are paid to care about who personally does, or does not visit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom