Who Pulled Roger Rabbit?

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
that would be nice, but unlikely. WDW's original MSEP is in a warehouse somewhere in France right now, waiting for its next destinaton (I think it's HK)... while the original DL MSEP is in DCA. I think if you take the Tokyo MSEP and combine it with whatever floats are remaining, fabricate a new one or two, and fix the Pleasure Island float destroyed in 1998 when the DL MSEP was transported from DL to Cali, you might be able to have that happen.

KentB3

mkt said:
that would be nice, but unlikely. WDW's original MSEP is in a warehouse somewhere in France right now, waiting for its next destinaton (I think it's HK)... while the original DL MSEP is in DCA. I think if you take the Tokyo MSEP and combine it with whatever floats are remaining, fabricate a new one or two, and fix the Pleasure Island float destroyed in 1998 when the DL MSEP was transported from DL to Cali, you might be able to have that happen.

Tokyo's MSEP unit is still intact? I heard that it was scrapped when MSEP ended its run at Tokyo Disneyland, but then, what I heard may be wrong!

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
nah... some of its floats were sent to France to lengthen the WDW MSEP

TP2000

Roger Rabbit not only performs every day in Disneyland's Parade Of The Stars, but he appears on occasion in Toontown at the Meet N' Greet location near Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin. I have a picture taken with him there in Toontown from last year.

Last year he appeared daily in Disneyland's Christmas Fantasy Parade. The Christmas Fantasy Parade begins it's seasonal 7 day a week run this Friday, so I'll be on the lookout this weekend to see if Roger Rabbit makes it into that parade again this year.

Maybe it's something as simple as the fact that Roger Rabbit has a very popular D Ticket dark ride at Disneyland and so there is a point of reference for him to appear in parades and as a walk-around Character. But in WDW, where there is no Roger Rabbit ride, he's sort of one of those Characters that has understandably been lost to history.

xfkirsten

mkt said:
correct sir.. 1999 I believe. Possibly during the end of Spectromagics run

If I recall, Parade of the Stars started in 2000 (for the 45th anniversary)... still seems odd that they'd stick him in that late, especially when he's just a flood-type character at the end.

Jerm

KentB3 said:
In fact, the short-lived Superstar Limo was in fact a last-minute replacement for GMR!

Kent this is off by a bit. Actaully SSL was going to be a bit more of a Rollercoaster but it never worked out that way. GMR has not been done in any other parks because of the cost of it all. I know www.jimhillmedia.com has done a few stories on SSL in the past.

J

Jerm

TP2000 said:
Maybe it's something as simple as the fact that Roger Rabbit has a very popular D Ticket dark ride at Disneyland and so there is a point of reference for him to appear in parades and as a walk-around Character. But in WDW, where there is no Roger Rabbit ride, he's sort of one of those Characters that has understandably been lost to history.

As far as I know Roger is something they can use in the parks any time they want. If it is for money (i.e.--pins, movies, t-shirts) they have to go through Amblin. I know that he does show up off and on in the parks and jumps in and out of Fantasmic! SO I would have to go with TP that it was just the fact that more kids know the Genie, who took over Rogers job in Spectro.

J

LewZealand

Roger is a joint venture.

To clear things up. Roger Rabbit and all his buddies are JOINTY owned by Amblin and Disney. So, in order for any new ride or movie to be produced that involves Roger, an agreement must be reached betweeen the speilberg and Disney camps. Lately, that hasn't beeen happening because of the devides between Speilberg and Eisner. (Spelberg getting in bed with Eisner's arch-nemesis Jeffrey doesn't help either.) The Pull from SpetroMagic probably had more to do with Disney moving on from Roger and using the genie instead. I'm sure no one from Amblin called Disney up and told them to get rid of Roger in SpectroMagic. I'm positive it was a Disney choice, and a wise one at that. But, you can always see Roger around in other parks at different times. But, don't look for any new Roger attractions or films soon. At least not til Mr. Eisner leaves Disney in the next year to two years. I hope this clears things up.
Class dismissed.

NTI2002

Original Poster
Man, with all this talk I really can't wait til Eisner is out of there. He has angered so many people in the business, and we keep losing some of our favorite things because of it. I really miss Roger, hopefully the new CEO will have better relations with the other companies, and can patch up some of Eisners undoings.

LewZealand

NTI2002 said:
Man, with all this talk I really can't wait til Eisner is out of there. He has angered so many people in the business, and we keep losing some of our favorite things because of it. I really miss Roger, hopefully the new CEO will have better relations with the other companies, and can patch up some of Eisners undoings.
Once Eisner is gone, we might (MIGHT!) see the return of George Lucas, Steven Speilberg, Steve Jobs, and many more.

TTATraveler

mkt said:

A little off topic from the Roger Rabbit discussion, but are there or were there any differences between the WDW MSEP and the DLMSEP? I saw the DCA Electrical parade 2 years ago (which seemed pretty short) but really don't remember enough to compare it to WDW's parade.

Jerm

TTATraveler said:
A little off topic from the Roger Rabbit discussion, but are there or were there any differences between the WDW MSEP and the DLMSEP? I saw the DCA Electrical parade 2 years ago (which seemed pretty short) but really don't remember enough to compare it to WDW's parade.

WAY off topic......

The MSEP has changed many times over the years and has lost many of the floats. Here is a brief run down of MSEP and nighttime parades in the 4 MK parks.

DL started the MSEP after seeing how well the Electrical Water Pageant in WDW went over. DL opened The Main Street Electrical Parade on June 17, 1972 and ran for 4 years before stopping for America on Parade. It came back in 1977 and ran till 1982 when it stopped for 2 years for the Flights of Fantasy Parade. It came back and ran till 1996 when the plug was pulled to make way for Light Magic. In June of 1997 it was part of the Hercules Electrical Parade in New York before it was shipped off to WDW for a 2 year run. Then in 2001 it made its return to DCA where it has run ever since.

WDW got its own version of The Main Street Electrical Parade in 1977 which ran till 1991 before being shipped off to DLP. SpectroMagic (kinda back on topic) took over starting as part of the 20th anniversary celebration in 1991 and ran till May of 1999. Then on May 29, 1999 The Main Street Electrical Parade made its return to WDW and ran till April 1 2001. On April 2nd 2001 SpectroMagic made its return (with the Genie and not Roger)

TDL opened with its own version of the MSEP. The MSEP was retired and in its place Fantillusion (one of the most amazing parades ever)took over. Then a few years ago they packed up Fantillusion (and put it up for sale to the other parks) and created Electrical Parade Dreamlights, which looks and sounds amazing.

DLP ran with the WDW version of MSEP from 1992 till 2002. In 2003 they opened a short version of TDL's Fantillusion which runs during the summer seasons. Also DLP used to run a x-mas version of MSEP with x-mas music mixed in with the Baroque Hoedown.

Hope this give you more info then you ever needed,

J

TTATraveler

Jerm said:
WAY off topic......

The MSEP has changed many times over the years and has lost many of the floats. Here is a brief run down of MSEP and nighttime parades in the 4 MK parks.

DL started the MSEP after seeing how well the Electrical Water Pageant in WDW went over. DL opened The Main Street Electrical Parade on June 17, 1972 and ran for 4 years before stopping for America on Parade. It came back in 1977 and ran till 1982 when it stopped for 2 years for the Flights of Fantasy Parade. It came back and ran till 1996 when the plug was pulled to make way for Light Magic. In June of 1997 it was part of the Hercules Electrical Parade in New York before it was shipped off to WDW for a 2 year run. Then in 2001 it made its return to DCA where it has run ever since.

WDW got its own version of The Main Street Electrical Parade in 1977 which ran till 1991 before being shipped off to DLP. SpectroMagic (kinda back on topic) took over starting as part of the 20th anniversary celebration in 1991 and ran till May of 1999. Then on May 29, 1999 The Main Street Electrical Parade made its return to WDW and ran till April 1 2001. On April 2nd 2001 SpectroMagic made its return (with the Genie and not Roger)

TDL opened with its own version of the MSEP. The MSEP was retired and in its place Fantillusion (one of the most amazing parades ever)took over. Then a few years ago they packed up Fantillusion (and put it up for sale to the other parks) and created Electrical Parade Dreamlights, which looks and sounds amazing.

DLP ran with the WDW version of MSEP from 1992 till 2002. In 2003 they opened a short version of TDL's Fantillusion which runs during the summer seasons. Also DLP used to run a x-mas version of MSEP with x-mas music mixed in with the Baroque Hoedown.

J

Thanks for that comprehensive run down. :cool: So it looks like the MSEP is only running it DCA right now, and not even in it's original glory.

While I like the Genie in Spectromagic, I liked Roger Rabbit better. It is to bad that Eisner and Spielberg's sour relationship lead to an almost demise of a good character.

From what I am reading here it looks like the Roger Rabbit won't be seen again in WDW :( :

KentB3

TP2000 said:
Roger Rabbit not only performs every day in Disneyland's Parade Of The Stars, but he appears on occasion in Toontown at the Meet N' Greet location near Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin. I have a picture taken with him there in Toontown from last year.

Last year he appeared daily in Disneyland's Christmas Fantasy Parade. The Christmas Fantasy Parade begins it's seasonal 7 day a week run this Friday, so I'll be on the lookout this weekend to see if Roger Rabbit makes it into that parade again this year.

Does Disneyland have some kind of stipulation that they can use Roger in character greets and parades, and WDW can't for some reason, and/or that this concession only applies to WDW?

NTI2002

Original Poster
LewZealand said:
Once Eisner is gone, we might (MIGHT!) see the return of George Lucas, Steven Speilberg, Steve Jobs, and many more.
on a George Lucas rant, I couldn't care less if he returns or not. he's already ruined star wars for me (look at the dvd"s) much like Eisner has ruined alot of disney.

wow when i first posted this thread i didn't realize i would open up such a sore wound.

tirian

Although I agree with you about Lucas' destroying his own work, I would be pretty excited to see more Star Wars attractions in the D-MGM Studios!

The original plans called for up to 10 or 11 Star Wars attractions! I'm sure that all 10 never would have been built, but even 3 would be cool...as long as they were based on the ORIGINALS.

New Star Wars films + immersive attractions = :hurl:

Regarding Roger Rabbit, the new CEO will probably be able to do something about that. Spielberg and others don't hate Disney--they hate Eisner. Keep in mind, however, that Dreamworks now exists. That could complicate any future R-Rabbit plans.

tirian

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off topic: George Lucas now believes in the Jedi, a quasi-religion that he created for Star Wars.

If that doesn't explain how he manages to ruin the new films, I don't know what does: he's just sort of loopy. :hammer:

....................back on topic: when I was little, Roger Rabbit was all over WDW! I have pictures with him in Tomorrowland (in the good 'ol astronaut-and-Slinky suit), Epcot (with the glorious Arm/Wand-free SE), and Disney-MGM studios (without the hat in front the GMR). In fact, now that I think about it, those old Roger Rabbit pics really highlight when WDW management and imagineering THOUGHT STRAIGHT!

sorry...i got carried away...

KentB3

Jerm said:
WAY off topic......

J

LOL! You sure do know quite a bit about Disney's light parades! :lol:

Although this may be wrong, I remember reading somewhere that MSEP was originally designed for Disneyland only, since WDW had/has the Electrical Water Pageant and Disneyland has no waterway to present anything like this. However, MSEP became so popular at Disneyland, that they couldn't help but add a second MSEP to WDW's Magic Kingdom!

Just thought you'd like to know! ;)

KentB3

Jerm said:
As far as I know Roger is something they can use in the parks any time they want. If it is for money (i.e.--pins, movies, t-shirts) they have to go through Amblin. I know that he does show up off and on in the parks and jumps in and out of Fantasmic! SO I would have to go with TP that it was just the fact that more kids know the Genie, who took over Rogers job in Spectro.

J

Does Roger ever appear at WDW in any other Disney parks in the U.S. besides Disneyland? I do know he appears often at Tokyo Disneyland, but they're actually owned by Oriental Land Company, not Disney, and merely license the rights to use Disney characters and rides!

KentB3

LewZealand said:
To clear things up. Roger Rabbit and all his buddies are JOINTY owned by Amblin and Disney. So, in order for any new ride or movie to be produced that involves Roger, an agreement must be reached betweeen the speilberg and Disney camps. Lately, that hasn't beeen happening because of the devides between Speilberg and Eisner. (Spelberg getting in bed with Eisner's arch-nemesis Jeffrey doesn't help either.) The Pull from SpetroMagic probably had more to do with Disney moving on from Roger and using the genie instead. I'm sure no one from Amblin called Disney up and told them to get rid of Roger in SpectroMagic. I'm positive it was a Disney choice, and a wise one at that. But, you can always see Roger around in other parks at different times. But, don't look for any new Roger attractions or films soon. At least not til Mr. Eisner leaves Disney in the next year to two years. I hope this clears things up.
Class dismissed.

That clears up quite a few things! From this, let's just keep hoping in hope, as far as Roger Rabbit is concerned!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom