Who knows about renting an electric scooter at Disney?

JChoma

My father in law isn't the most mobile and wants an electric scooter to get around the parks. Can anyone share any tips on renting one at Disney? I know there are companies you can get them from cheaper than through Disney, but if the thing breaks down or we need to be getting it to and from the hotel that seems like a huge pain. I read that rentals are first come, first serve and you need to arrive early to get one. I'm also wondering how long of a line we should expect. Any info/ tips appreciated! :)

NYwdwfan

The benefit of renting from an outside company is you can use the scooter back at your resort and can also take it to Disney Springs. When my husband threw out his back 2 weeks before our trip and could barely walk we used www.scootaround.com. They met us in the lobby the day we arrived and were perfectly punctual. They met us in the lobby the day we were leaving while we were waiting for DME. There was no inconvenience at all. We stayed at BC so he was able to use the scooter when we walked to DHS and EPCOT and also in the evenings to go down to the Boardwalk. Having the scooter at the resort was a huge advantage for us.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

We just returned last week from Disney World. My husband rented an ECV in the parks, each of the 5 days he was with us. It cost $70 and they refund you $20 when you turn it in at the end of the day. We never had an issue of there not being one available to rent. Now, we've never been during high season, so can't say about those times. There was no line, just walked up to the counter, again not sure how that would be during busier times. I would suggest if you do this, arrive fairly early and as soon as your through the gate go and get the ECV. In the parking lots they have available wheelchairs to be used to take people into the parks and then when you roll up to the rental area, you drop it off. The same in the evening, when you turn in your ECV, you can get a wheelchair to go out to the parking lot. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

I would rent from an outside vendor, it's much cheaper and you have the scooter for use outside the parks. There are five Disney approved rental services, they are not better but by renting from one of them you can make advanced reservations on line and have your scooter waiting at the bell desk upon arrival and drop it at the bell desk when leaving. Buena Vista, Apple and Scooter Bug are three of them I can't remember what the others are.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

There are five Disney approved rental services, they are not better but by renting from one of them you can make advanced reservations on line and have your scooter waiting at the bell desk upon arrival and drop it at the bell desk when leaving. Buena Vista, Apple and Scooter Bug are three of them I can't remember what the others are.
I believe the Disney approved vendors are also allowed to bring replacement scooters to you if your ECV broke down in the park; I've seen them driving through on one scooter while towing another.

Upvote 0

Hulacat

I have a "sort of related" question- My Mom is 82, very spry but she has a problem with a bone in her foot.About 6 months ago, we had to race to keep up with her at Epcot. Now she can walk but after a while she is in pain and won't say anything. We are locals and have a quick trip to POR and Epcot coming up soon, but she is reluctant to admit she needs a scooter and doesn't want to be seen as "lazy" or "weak" (her words). Any advice that would help me to be able to rent a scooter and keep her pain free would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

smi727

We went with my parents in November. My mom rented an ECV from Scooterbug. They are an approved provider. They dropped the scooter off at All Star Sports for us & we returned it to bell services before we checked out. No problem getting it on & off buses, boats, or monorail. Great experience & would do it again in a heartbeat.

Upvote 0

JChoma

Original Poster
Thanks so much for these tips! We are staying at a vacation rental home so we would need to transport the ECV in the car, i the company brings it to the home. My father in law can walk, just not really fast or long distances. I think he has a handicap sticker in the car so they should be able to park fairly close, right?

Upvote 0

ShareBDwithMickey

Some of the approved suppliers also offer options you can transport in your own vehicle, you would just need to collect it from their main site at the start & return at the end. Parking for disabled is usually at the front or row end nearest the walkway or tram stop, depending on availability.

I am not sure how scooters, even collapsible ones are transported on the trams, but its a question I'm sure someone can answer.

Disney scooters are usual readily available but as already advised work out very expensive when compared to off site costs, think 3 days disney hire to 7 days private as a rule of thumb & all Disney approved/licensed scooter providers can access the parks if you have a problem, most offer a 1hr service in those situation's, which isn't vastly different to how long it can take Disney.

I've waited the upside of 45 mins for them to get a replacement to me, what with staff availability, both to notify that I had a problem, then get that communicated back to the Disney scooter centre & then for them to bring me a replacement.

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

I believe the Disney approved vendors are also allowed to bring replacement scooters to you if your ECV broke down in the park; I've seen them driving through on one scooter while towing another.
Yes they are, it happened to my Dad and it was l
Yes they are you just wait at the site of the breakdown happened to us and it wasno more than twenty minutes from the time of the call until my Dad had the replacement scooter and we were on our way

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

Some of the approved suppliers also offer options you can transport in your own vehicle, you would just need to collect it from their main site at the start & return at the end. Parking for disabled is usually at the front or row end nearest the walkway or tram stop, depending on availability.

I am not sure how scooters, even collapsible ones are transported on the trams, but its a question I'm sure someone can answer.

Disney scooters are usual readily available but as already advised work out very expensive when compared to off site costs, think 3 days disney hire to 7 days private as a rule of thumb & all Disney approved/licensed scooter providers can access the parks if you have a problem, most offer a 1hr service in those situation's, which isn't vastly different to how long it can take Disney.

I've waited the upside of 45 mins for them to get a replacement to me, what with staff availability, both to notify that I had a problem, then get that communicated back to the Disney scooter centre & then for them to bring me a replacement.
You can't take them on the trams , however, you will probably be in handicap parking that is too close for tram service.Wealways just use Disney transportation with the scooter it is just way easier

Upvote 0

ShareBDwithMickey

You can't take them on the trams , however, you will probably be in handicap parking that is too close for tram service.Wealways just use Disney transportation with the scooter it is just way easier[/QUOTE]

Fine for park hoping but not intial arrival if staying off site, therefore they would have to get scooter into the park from their vehicle. Depending when they arrive they may still be quite a distance from the park entrance even if in a disabled parking space.

As the op specifically mentions using a car I'm assuming they are off site guests.

If onsite Disney transportation is definitely they way to go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

docdebbi

we use a scooter at WDW also. we use to rent from disney, but found that it is much more expensive and takes time in the important early morning hours. we are "rush right to our first attraction before it's busy" folks and have wasted over half an hour getting the scooter as it is obviously most crowded right after opening, and all the kiosks (except DHS) are inside the park so you can't do it before opening.
we have also encountered inability to get a scooter when changing parks for the evening. if you don't plan to split days this isn't a problem, as they will hold yours for you if you leave and return later to the same park.
if you are using disney transportation, it is easy to get to the parks, all the buses are accessible, but not all boats so check before you go.
we rent a car and it makes it much easier.
we get the scooter that breaks down into five little pieces and i can lift each of them myself and assemble it myself with no trouble.
we do park in the handicap lots, but if your person doesn't have a handicap sticker, it is not a crazy idea to just drive the scooter from where you park to the actual entrance, those scooters can move if you get the right one from the right rental company. and the rest of you just take the tram.
good luck, going with a scooter is much easier than I expected, and off site is the way to go IMHO

Upvote 0

mishel635

We just went two weeks ago and rented one for my mother in law from buena vista rentals. They were great and told us to call if there were any problems, even in the parks, and they would be able to replace it. We just charged it up every night and then she would use it all day, morning til night and the battery level never even went down to 3/4. Good luck!

Upvote 0

docdebbi

We just went two weeks ago and rented one for my mother in law from buena vista rentals. They were great and told us to call if there were any problems, even in the parks, and they would be able to replace it. We just charged it up every night and then she would use it all day, morning til night and the battery level never even went down to 3/4. Good luck!
Buena Vista scooters is where i rented last time, and liked their product so much I bought one. they sell used scooters very cheaply and my 85 year old dad likes to go places with us (amusement parks, zoos, malls, etc) but can't walk that far. so I actually bought a used one and indeed they were great. I loved the place, and the owner was very helpful. I recommend them highly. (BTW- the airlines let you take them with you for free- drive right up to the gate and walk on and it is there on the ramp when you get off the plane- FREE)

Upvote 0

JChoma

Original Poster
This is so helpful! I'm worried about the time it'll take to rent one in the morning since we'll be arriving as early as possible and seeing as much as we can right away. I didn't realize the scooter rental is inside the gates; thought it was just outside. I wonder if Buena Vista would deliver to our vacation home- I'm going to call them to see! I called Disney and the person I spoke with said vendors can't bring a replacement into the park. Clearly that's not right.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

This is so helpful! I'm worried about the time it'll take to rent one in the morning since we'll be arriving as early as possible and seeing as much as we can right away. I didn't realize the scooter rental is inside the gates; thought it was just outside. I wonder if Buena Vista would deliver to our vacation home- I'm going to call them to see! I called Disney and the person I spoke with said vendors can't bring a replacement into the park. Clearly that's not right.

Stroller/wheelchair rental is inside the gates at all the parks just past the turnstiles. MK it is to the right, just before the tunnel, Epcot it is over to the far left before you go under Spaceship Earth, DHS is on the right, at the classic gas station, and AK is to the right I believe as well.

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

My father in law isn't the most mobile and wants an electric scooter to get around the parks. Can anyone share any tips on renting one at Disney? I know there are companies you can get them from cheaper than through Disney, but if the thing breaks down or we need to be getting it to and from the hotel that seems like a huge pain. I read that rentals are first come, first serve and you need to arrive early to get one. I'm also wondering how long of a line we should expect. Any info/ tips appreciated! :)
That's not true the approved Disney vendors can and have done it for us, now the non approved can not. Buena Vista is one of the approved.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom