Who Killed The Contemporary?

MickeyMind

Original Poster
When I was younger the Contemporary was my favorite resort, and my favorite store was the little store they had where the arcade is now, ( I think it was because of the lighted mickey with fireworks they had behind the stuffed animals.)

But recently I took a trip over there, and I just couldnt help but say what the @#%#$ did they do to it?!

that whole arcade looks like a cheap chucke cheese, and the store in the middle, is not only an eye sore and looks severely out of place but it just makes the place seem so crowded.. I remember when there was nothing in the middle but those circular padded benches.. what happened?

I could see why Disney has nothing to combat the new rides at universal and seaworld, because they spend they're money on some of the most unnecessary things.. there was nothing wrong with that part of the hotel, it was beautiful, clean and open.. now it just looks horrible..

Dont even get me started on the dvc tower, whose genius idea was it to build such an ugly generic looking building towering over the iconic main building? that circular building looks like my old apartment complex in jersey, it doesnt even match the main building's design or color scheme..

I know I might be a little late on all this, but I stopped by there the other day, and couldnt help but feeling like a part of that classic walt disney world feel was dead in that hotel, it just looks like a giant mess, the only thing left of that classic walt disney world feeling in that hotel is the mural and I'm pretty sure that will be taken away soon and replaced by a giant generic mural of mickey or something...

To the disney suits..STOP RUINING DISNEY WORLD WITH YOUR GREED!

I hope Universal does some serious damage in terms of lowering attendance at the world, because only then will you start investing in what matters, and leave whats not broken alone!

..end rant (sorry I just had to)

BriLee

I stayed at the contemporary a few visits ago and, although I never got to go when the store wasn't in the middle and the arcade wasn't like it is now, I enjoyed my stay and generally liked the resort.
but I can understand how it would be disappointing to have something that was such a great memory for you changed.
And the mural, by the way, was done by the great Disney artist (and just artist in general) Mary Blair, who happens to be my favorite Disney artist. She did the concept art for Cinderella, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, and the ride It's A Small World, among other things. If they ever took that mural down I would be so sad/mad!

devoy1701

When I was younger the Contemporary was my favorite resort, and my favorite store was the little store they had where the arcade is now, ( I think it was because of the lighted mickey with fireworks they had behind the stuffed animals.)

But recently I took a trip over there, and I just couldnt help but say what the @#%#$ did they do to it?!

that whole arcade looks like a cheap chucke cheese, and the store in the middle, is not only an eye sore and looks severely out of place but it just makes the place seem so crowded.. I remember when there was nothing in the middle but those circular padded benches.. what happened?

I could see why Disney has nothing to combat the new rides at universal and seaworld, because they spend they're money on some of the most unnecessary things.. there was nothing wrong with that part of the hotel, it was beautiful, clean and open.. now it just looks horrible..

Dont even get me started on the dvc tower, whose genius idea was it to build such an ugly generic looking building towering over the iconic main building? that circular building looks like my old apartment complex in jersey, it doesnt even match the main building's design or color scheme..

I know I might be a little late on all this, but I stopped by there the other day, and couldnt help but feeling like a part of that classic walt disney world feel was dead in that hotel, it just looks like a giant mess, the only thing left of that classic walt disney world feeling in that hotel is the mural and I'm pretty sure that will be taken away soon and replaced by a giant generic mural of mickey or something...

To the disney suits..STOP RUINING DISNEY WORLD WITH YOUR GREED!

I hope Universal does some serious damage in terms of lowering attendance at the world, because only then will you start investing in what matters, and leave whats not broken alone!

..end rant (sorry I just had to)

The new DVC tower does a great job complimenting the original A frame. If you look at the side profile, it looks like a narrower version of the original, including the narrower crown at the top. And the color scheme is concrete and beige, just like the old tower. :shrug:

The Fantasia Store on the main concourse IMO also does a great job complimenting the building with it's grand steel contemporary entrance but open and free flowing design.

I think you're overreacting a bit and clingy to nostalgia...though the whole concept of Disney and the Disney Co when it came to the resorts and parks was constant change and plussing.

BuddhasHomeGirl

I agree....I was at Disney over Christmas and we went resort hopping to see all the different decorations, we got to Contemporary and it was just this cold mess....there were like 4 decorations in the whole place and this was Christmas day! We left saying "Was that a joke?"

MickeyMind

Original Poster
The new DVC tower does a great job complimenting the original A frame. If you look at the side profile, it looks like a narrower version of the original, including the narrower crown at the top. And the color scheme is concrete and beige, just like the old tower. :shrug:

The Fantasia Store on the main concourse IMO also does a great job complimenting the building with it's grand steel contemporary entrance but open and free flowing design.

I think you're overreacting a bit and clingy to nostalgia...though the whole concept of Disney and the Disney Co when it came to the resorts and parks was constant change and plussing.

..umm no I'm not over reacting, over reacting is setting the dam place on fire lol.. I'm not clingy to nostalgia, sure im a bit nostalgic about wdw, but so are so many of us that visit these boards... I'm all for change, but change in the right way.. And this was a change that not only didnt need to be done but completely ruins the feel that that hotel used to have.. and I'm sorry but we're on completely different pages when you say that the dvc compliments the contemporary, it does nothing of the sort, it just looks ugly and kills the look of the main hotel...bottom line is, they should have used all that money and invested in a new ride, (quality ride) but because this was such a big part of the budget, now we're stuck with stitch's dance party and american idol as the newest additions.. Things that I'm pretty sure noone is going to plan their trip around... to sum it all up... they didnt "plus" ANYTHING but their wallets by adding the dvc.. and in the end, I hope it comes to bite them in the a$$ maybe then, they'll get their priorities straight and invest in what really matters

jakeman

...they'll get their priorities straight and invest in what really matters
Invest in what really matters to you, is what you mean.

I can understand your sentiment regarding the shops on the concourse of the Contemporary. I enjoyed them because they seemed to be carrying something different than the other shops on property, but I can definately see where they can be seen as obstrusive.

The constant railing against DVC is somewhat ridiculous. There is a high demand for DVC with a Magic Kingdom view. The DVC tower provides supply for this demand.

Just because you personally don't see the point in something doesn't mean that it isn't a good idea. Perhaps if you took a set back and evaluated changes in regard to the whole and just not how they affect you, you would be a little more understanding.

Ralphlaw

We stayed at the Contemporary for a couple of days last November, and we thought some of it was great in some ways and some of it was, well, less than great. The lobby floor is really sterile. The lobbies at the Poly, Grand Floridian, Animal Kingdom, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Boardwalk, and far more inviting, interesting and lively. The Contemporary Lobby has very little of interest or comfort by comparison. In has a joke of a coffee bar, and vast distances between just about everything. The foyer and drive-up area are also wide open and sterile compared to the other resorts, contributing to this feeling.

Maybe that's the look they're going for, but I did not feel a disney welcome by these surroundings. And I found it somewhat challenging to really relax like i have at the other resorts.

Of course, the Copntemporary is great in its location, its eating, and shopping (which my wife and kids really liked). I also do not like the new tower, and felt a twinge of resentment every time we glided by on the monorail.

Well, that's my two cents worth.

Cynderella

I totally agree. But I am a very nostalgic person as well. I hate that they have destroyed the game room and the main concourse level. But unfortunately that comes with change and there isnt anything we can do. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom