Whispering Canyon Cafe?

nycdrummer

Original Poster
hey all

i stumbled upon a list of fun, family themed restaurants at WDW and the only one the family and i haven't hit is Whispering Canyon Cafe. it intrigued me for two reasons. 1, the BBQ (and unlimited platter) looks great and seems to be a great value for the dining plan. 2, the waitstaff sounds similar to primetime, that sassy/fun interactive type, which is one of our favorites. we had an open date for dinner so i went ahead and booked it.

however, now i see the antics/sassing has been tamed a bit and i'm just trying to figure out if it's worth the shlep from the magic kingdom and then back to riverside after we're done for this meal. any advice is greatly appreciated!

belledream

The platter is definitely a good value, but it is sooo much food - I think the only seconds I got was baked beans...ha. You can also get a refillable milkshake as your drink credit. (That's probably why I couldn't eat much...come to think of it).

Even with toned down antics, you may want to give it a shot as you could spend an entire DAY wandering around Wilderness Lodge itself. There's quite a lot to see and enjoy. Plus, the food is still a very important part of a meal. ;)

Phonedave

As far as food is concerned, if you determine good value to be quantity over quality, then it is. The platter is not bad by any means. When I was younger, and could consume mass quantities (and that right there should give a reference to my age) with no consequence, I loved places such as WCC. Now, I would much rather have a higher quality food and less of it.

So, if you do eat a lot, then it is worth it. If not, I would get something different. Either way, the trip from MK to WL is not bad at all, and it is great to look around WL. One of my favorite resorts.

nycdrummer

Original Poster
As far as food is concerned, if you determine good value to be quantity over quality, then it is. The platter is not bad by any means. When I was younger, and could consume mass quantities (and that right there should give a reference to my age) with no consequence, I loved places such as WCC. Now, I would much rather have a higher quality food and less of it.

So, if you do eat a lot, then it is worth it. If not, I would get something different. Either way, the trip from MK to WL is not bad at all, and it is great to look around WL. One of my favorite resorts.

I appreciate all the feedback thus far, thanks all.

I'd probably rank quality over quantity for food. I guess we're looking for more of an atmosphere dinning, along with convenience since we're in the kingdom that day. We already have Crystal Palace, 1900, Hoop Dee Doo, Artist Point booked for dinners (among others at epcot/studios). I was contemplating switching Whispering Canyon for Skipper Canteen since we're already having BBQ at Hoop Dee Doo, but have heard mixed reviews about that dinner.

Phonedave

I'd probably rank quality over quantity for food. I guess we're looking for more of an atmosphere dinning, along with convenience since we're in the kingdom that day. We already have Crystal Palace, 1900, Hoop Dee Doo, Artist Point booked for dinners (among others at epcot/studios). I was contemplating switching Whispering Canyon for Skipper Canteen since we're already having BBQ at Hoop Dee Doo, but have heard mixed reviews about that dinner.

You are also going to be at Wilderness Lodge for your AP dinner, so that sort of renders the "go see Wilderness Lodge" reason moot.

Don't get me wrong, the food is decent, but for a lot of people the appeal is being able to eat a 5,000 calorie meal between the platter and milkshakes.

belledream

Ooh so you already have WL covered then.

I personally loved the food at Skipper Canteen! I got the whole fried fish. :hungry: Still thinking about it.

There’s no shortage of antics there. I’ve changed my tune. Go for it!

nycdrummer

Original Poster
Ooh so you already have WL covered then.

I personally loved the food at Skipper Canteen! I got the whole fried fish. :hungry: Still thinking about it.

There’s no shortage of antics there. I’ve changed my tune. Go for it!

Skipper Canteen intrigues me since the Jungle Cruise is a family favorite but our family has a couple picky eaters so the menu worried me a little. Whispering Canyon seemed a little safer for those not wanting to explore out of their comfort zone but the more digging I do into the newer version of WCC, I'm leaning towards changing my reservation.

belledream

Skipper Canteen intrigues me since the Jungle Cruise is a family favorite but our family has a couple picky eaters so the menu worried me a little. Whispering Canyon seemed a little safer for those not wanting to explore out of their comfort zone but the more digging I do into the newer version of WCC, I'm leaning towards changing my reservation.
Understandable! Skipper is often referred to as 'adventurous' and 'exotic'. The fish was as crazy as it gets, I think. We got the steak which was just another typical Disney steak - and if any of the flavors seemed too much, I'm sure you could request to leave it off. Otherwise, there's more standard dishes like salad and chicken that I can't imagine are too out there for most.

I loved the atmosphere. So many little Jungle Cruise gems to look at. There are three dining rooms - we sat in the Mess Hall. But walked around to look at the other two after we ate... and wished we could've been in 3 places at once! The servers are top notch, of course.

Good luck with your decision! I'm sure you can make either work well for you guys. :)

DreamalittleDisney

If you like ketchup head on over to the canyon 🤣 we wmr know Oct18 of antics were toned down or must have been a zoo prior to this.. food was of a decent standard based on overall standards on property... yes there's a fair amount but just choose what you want to eat.

If you want to explore W.Lodge or even take a stroll (20mins) or boat to Fort Wilderness for a night time camp sing along and movie with chip and dale its worth it

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The Char Siu pork is a great choice. Noodles galore both as appetizers and entrees.

Ask about the "Shrimp in a Cup" appetizer. It's off-the-menu. I could eat three as an entree!

erasure fan1

We've been to whispering canyon a few times. Our last trip we had the platter and it was ok. Not as good as the first 2 times we had it, but still good. If food quality is first priority and atmosphere 2nd, I would suggest Ohana. The foods better than whispering and the atmosphere is just as good if not better in my opinion.

Shouldigo12

I ate there in March. The food was ok. Not bad per se, but I wasn't bowled over. They also didn't have many vegetarian options when I went so I ended up having a salad for both an appetizer and an entree, causing the waiter to refer to us as the salad people for the rest of the meal. As far as antics go, they were still active when we went. They weren't constantly in your face, but they definitely played a few tricks ;). While it was fun, I wouldn't recommend making a special trip out to eat there, especially if food quality is a big one for you.

Dreaming of Disney World

We ate there last May and LOVED IT! We got the dinner skillet, and it was so delicious. Part way through the meal they brought out a giant bucket of children's stick horses, and every child got to ride one around the dining room while they played a western themed song. My three year old loved it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom