whishes: what is it?

acishere

I agree - Don't pass up Wishes.

Just think of the exiting of the Magic Kingdom afterwards as an adventure of sorts. You know, like the running of the bulls in Spain. It's exhausting, scary, you're running for your life and you'll probably get trampled at some point, but in the end, you've got a great story to tell.
Or just find an empty bench and wait the storm out.

Upvote 0

cslafferty

Don't forget about the parents who think because they have a sleeping child in a stroller they have the green light to plow through the crowds, using said stroller as a battering ram. Nothing like getting your achilles tendons bashed by a stroller traveling at high speed!! Never understood why everyone's in such a hurry to go stand in line at the bus stop!!

That being said, Wishes is one of my favorite things about WDW, and I wouldn't miss it for the world!:D

Upvote 0

WDW_Princess24

Here's another quick description:

Wishes is a beautiful firework show set to classic Disney tunes, held on most evenings that the Magic Kingdom stays open past dusk. It is also a congregation of the dumbest, most inconsiderate people on the planet. Among the idiots you will find on Main Street are the following:

- Moronic parents putting their children on their shoulders so the people behind them can't see.

- People who pretend they don't speak English who will come from nowhere and cut in front of you at 8:58PM after you've been standing there for 2 hours.

- CM's who have absolutely no control over the huge crowds and cause traffic backups usually only seen on Los Angeles Highways.

You will find some of the cheapest, tackiest, yet expensive light up souveniers known to man. By all means, pass these up so you can listen to your child cry for the next 90 minutes.

In addition, after the show, you will encounter lines for buses, boats and monorails that seem to stretch to Canada. Once you finally get to your bus (about 2 hours later), you will no doubt end up standing next to someone who apparently lives in an area where deodorant is not sold.

Once arriving back at your resort, you will no doubt end up either yelling at your children or fighting with your spouse, and promising to never to go through that hell again.

Enjoy!:)

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:
Oh man, I had tears in my eyes.

Upvote 0

David S.

Captainkidd painted a very accurate picture of the worst case scenario of what getting caught up in the Main Street/Hub crowd during Wishes can be like, as well as trying to exit the park immediately after the show.

However, I would like to share some strategies that work perfectly for me and allow me to avoid these sort of things:

1) Do not leave immediately after the show - This is ESPECIALLY good strategy if the park is not closing WITH the show. For instance, let's say Wishes is at 10 PM but the attractions are staying open until 11 or 12. While everyone else is struggling with thick crowds on Main Street, and waiting in insane lines for the monorail, boats, or busses, you are enjoying your favorite attractions! And even the most popular attractions may be walk-ons at this time, or, at the very least, have much shorter lines than they did before the fireworks. And then, by the time the rides close, you will likely walk right onto the next monorail or ferry with minimal to no wait.

Of course, if the park closes WITH the show, and there are no attractions still open, it may be tempting to leave, but I enjoy lingering in the park as long as possible, enjoying the cooler night air and nightime park atmosphere, snacking on some ice cream or popcorn while enjoying the views of Main Street and the Castle, and then shopping at the Emporium on the park's time (rather than during the day when I could be doing attractions) since it closes at least 1 hour after the park does. If you leave the park around one hour or later after closing on nights when it closes with Wishes, you can usually avoid the insane waits for transportation.

2) Consider watching Wishes anywhere OTHER than the Hub/Main Street area. This is especially true if the rides/attractions will still be open after Wishes, and you want to enjoy them. If you see the show in the Hub or Main Street, the paths you need to access the various "lands" will be PACKED with Early Leavers trying to leave the park while you are trying to make your way back into it, and one can get the helpless feeling of a salmon trying to swim upstream.

For instance, I like to watch the show in Fantasyland, behind the Carousel between Pinocchio Village Haus and Dumbo. There are places in this general area where the flying Tinkerbell can still be seen, and you are symetrically positioned on the same north/south axis occupied by Main Street/Hub. But the crowds are nowhere NEAR as bad, you don't feel packed in with the people, and its less likely that you'll experience the "kid on the shoulders" phenomonom, etc. You get an EXCELLENT view of the shells going off from in back of the park, and if you know when to turn your head, can see all the Castle shells, as well. And the soundtrack is audible through the Fantasyland speakers.

And since the Story of Wishes is about the Fantasyland characters, and Jimminy Cricket narrates, it seems appropriate, thematically, to view it from Fantasyland as well.

And the practical benefits from viewing in Fantasyland are FANTASTIC! Immediately after the show ends, you are mere FOOTSTEPS from the 8 Fantasyland attractions, and you can get a WALK ON on any of them right after the fireworks. Compare with being in the Hub or Main Street, where it will take longer to get to these attractions, ESPECIALLY because of all the traffic coming against you.

And Fantasyland is not the only good "alternate" viewing location for Wishes that is more calm than the Hub/Main Street area and that puts you in close proximity to attractions. I'm also a big fan of watching along the Rivers of America. There is one spot in particular directly across from the Riverboat, where you can see the Riverboat's lights beautifully reflecting in the water, and the reflections of the fireworks in the water as well! And after the show, you have a major head start to Big Thunder and Splash compared to anyone trying to get there from the Hub. You are also very close to Country Bear Jamboree and the Adventureland attractions from this location.

And a similar strategy can be used in Tomorrowland, for Space Mountain and other TL attractions.

Upvote 0

Steve-B

Even with all the crap and nonsense we have to put up with before, during and after the show, I think Wishes is one not to be missed. I thought we had seen it on a previous trip, but my wife assured me we had not before our last trip. I swear she had tears in her eyes less than half way into the show. Afterward, we made our way into the first shop we came to and took our time looking around, letting the crowd thin out.

Upvote 0

Wishes is a beautiful firework show set to classic Disney tunes, held on most evenings that the Magic Kingdom stays open past dusk. It is also a congregation of the dumbest, most inconsiderate people on the planet. Among the idiots you will find on Main Street are the following:

- Moronic parents putting their children on their shoulders so the people behind them can't see.

- People who pretend they don't speak English who will come from nowhere and cut in front of you at 8:58PM after you've been standing there for 2 hours.

- CM's who have absolutely no control over the huge crowds and cause traffic backups usually only seen on Los Angeles Highways.

You will find some of the cheapest, tackiest, yet expensive light up souveniers known to man. By all means, pass these up so you can listen to your child cry for the next 90 minutes.

In addition, after the show, you will encounter lines for buses, boats and monorails that seem to stretch to Canada. Once you finally get to your bus (about 2 hours later), you will no doubt end up standing next to someone who apparently lives in an area where deodorant is not sold.

Once arriving back at your resort, you will no doubt end up either yelling at your children or fighting with your spouse, and promising to never to go through that hell again.

Love this and love Wishes!!!

Upvote 0

Jakester

About the deoderant: Im a big person (240lbs) and when i vist WDW, I SWEAT the entire day (during the daytime mostly). So usually after ive been there for a little bit, the deoderant that i have put on, is most likely gone. So just cuz someone smells like they dont wear it, think about what i just said.

Is this the case with everyone ?? No, But it is for some

Upvote 0

ThanksC&J

I'm sorry but if you don't know what Wishes is then I'm worried that you might be missing alot of great Disney World treasures on your trip. So far you have been given some great information about Wishes now its time to - go get a good guide book ("The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World", Passporter's Walt Disney World, etc.). Look around on this site, wdwmagic, so-o much great information. And spend as much time as you can on these forums, you'll learn tons! I hope you have a fantastic trip! :)

Upvote 0

captainkidd

About the deoderant: Im a big person (240lbs) and when i vist WDW, I SWEAT the entire day (during the daytime mostly). So usually after ive been there for a little bit, the deoderant that i have put on, is most likely gone. So just cuz someone smells like they dont wear it, think about what i just said.

Is this the case with everyone ?? No, But it is for some

I sweat more than anyone I know, but if I'm wearing a 24 hour deodorant, it at least does the trick until the next morning.

Upvote 0

BrittanyRose428

About the deodorant, I usually re-apply it once during the day just to be safe. It is kind of a pain to carry it around in my purse depending how small the bag I bring is, but I think I'm so over-paranoid about it so I bring it to the parks lol.

Upvote 0

MaryJaneP

I like the idea of watching "Wishes" from alternate locations (ie. Contemporary or Polynesian Beach) where you can hear the excellent score/story that goes with the fireworks. We have even watched from the dock by the Contemporary (gap between CR and BLT) and could hear things just fine. I don't know about TTC or Walkway from CR to MK, but if audio is there, they might be considered. Harder or impossible to see Tinkerbell, but may be worth it.

We usually watch at another location other than Main Street/HUB, like Liberty Square, or bridge by Tomorrowland. And we wait after it is over for all the Type A's to plow out of the park pronto. We then can leisurely leave 30-45 minutes later. No problems. DO NOT MISS THIS SHOW. IMHO, one of the most magical things still in WDW.

Upvote 0

mp2bill

While all this is true...that's a pretty negative description of the show.

Upvote 0

hajenga

Original Poster
with extra magic hours or not

I've been working on our schedule and have the night for Magic one of two days. One day has extra magic hours and the other does not. I was thinking with the extra magic hours some people would be staying longer and make the lines shorter, but am wondering if the extra magic hours will increase the croud size so much that lines will be worse. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

cowanfamily

Usually the crowds thin out after the fireworks. The place almost looked like a ghost town last June during EMH. It was the same way last Nov as well.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom