Trip Report Whirlwind Stay- Some Comments

My wife and I are currently on vacation on the Atlantic coast for some beach time. We find it nearly impossible to go to Florida without visiting WDW in at least some capacity. We actually decided to stay for one night at Disney to make the 2-hour drive worthwhile. While we did not go to any parks we did have a "free" day at WDW (is it ever really free?? Somehow it still cost me $156 plus the room). Some comments:

1. Skyliner- we rode all of the lines and really liked it. I can see how these will be very hot in the summer but that aside the ride was fun. I think the stations are very nicely themed and it's a neat idea in general. I was surprised that there were a few stretches that were clearly "behind the scenes" area and had very unattractive surroundings and/or service roads with no landscaping etc. I really think they need to consider dressing up all areas where the Skyliner runs. Just my two cents
  2. Monorails- I normally wouldn't complain about the monorails (although I do think they need a massive overhaul or replacement) but the one we took for a ride out to EPCOT did not have air conditioning...pretty uncomfortable and it wasn't very full.
  3. Cabins at Wilderness Lodge- saw these from the water and they look good now that everything has grown in. I can't afford them but I like how they look
  4. Crazy Decorations- had breakfast at Trail's End on the morning we left and walked back to the parking lot. There are some CRAZY Christmas/Thanksgiving decorations that people have put up. The one setup had 38 individual pieces all of which were plugged in to keep them inflated. I can't imagine setting that up
  5. Macadamia Nut Butter Alert- Kona Cafe at Polynesian Village is a favourite of ours and we made sure to go for dinner. In the past, they have had very nice rolls with macadamia nut butter sweetened with honey which was awesome. Apparently they stopped that in the last 2 years since the last time we were there. Very disappointed!
  6. Value Resorts Need Some Value- to keep costs down we stayed at Allstar Sports. For $155 USD it is not bad value considering the grounds are very nice, the pools are quite good and you get excellent service (at least we did). The rooms, though clean, etc.), are DESPERATE for an update. There has to be a better use of space so the washroom is not so tiny. The beds are comfortable and, as I said, everything was very clean, but they need to be upgraded (without increasing the prices).
  7. Great New Discovery- after years of visiting the Poly we finally discovered Trader Sam's Grotto. What a cool little bar! We also were shocked at the pricing- we "custom" ordered two whiskey sours and were charged $11/each. Thought that was pretty reasonable. The environment is awesome...love the prank bar stools that lower without warning (controlled by the bartenders)...pretty hilarious
  8. Captain Cooks Pulled Pork Nachos Rock- we discovered these a couple of years back and had to try them again to make sure we remembered correctly. Awesome lunch. The pineapple salsa is great
  9. New Road Configuration- this was our first time travelling the new World Drive flyovers and configuration. It makes a huge difference to the area and keeps traffic moving. Really love what Disney did here after so many years of getting stuck at traffic lights
  10. Disney Atmosphere Alive & Well- we haven't been back in 2 years and we just loved the atmosphere. It makes us so happy to be there. All of the cast members we dealt with were friendly and the vast majority of our experience was Disney personified which we always look forward to

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom