Contemporary
Polynesian
Grand Floridian

Use the following criteria:
-Best Value
-Atmosphere
-Things to do
-Entertainment or Pools

I want to be on the monorail so it's down to these. Also the Hyatt Grand Cypress in Downtown Disney is phenomenal, just finished staying there for 8 days. But i want something closer for next time.

Please give pros and cons to each if you've stayed or visited to see them. I've only been through the Contemporary on Wednesday but was there very briefly, just catching the monorail, looked good. Are the garden wings comparable to the main tower?

dandaman

I've never stayed in GF (or Polynesian yet...), but I think GF looks too "ritzy" for me, and Contemporary is loosely themed. Polynesian seems luxurious (as do the other two), but it includes spectacular themeing, without being even a little over-the-top.
My choice would be Polynesian.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It would either be Contemp or Poly for me. I have been in GF a couple of times. Once to eat at V&A's which honestly, was a dissappointment.

I really like the atmosphere in the Contemporary, just the openness of it is awesome to me. The Poly would be neet cause of the atomsphere.

daisyduck448

i've never stayed at any of these hotels but ive been inside the contemp. and thought it was more of a laid back atmosphere wheres GF is more fancy. the polynesian seems like a fun hotel and great atmosphere. all of these hotels seem great but id choose the polynesian!!! :)

tigsmom

I have stayed in the North Garden Wing of the Contemporary. We had a quiet beach and a nice hammock just outside of our sliders. I like the restaurants and being on the monorail, but the Contemporary left me cold... just not the right atmosphere for me.

We stayed in Rapa Nui at the Polynesian 2 years ago. Its by the TTC, but its quiet. The rooms were big & bright- we had a nice balcony that overlooked some gardens. The Volcano pool is very nice and the kids loved the slide.
The atmosphere is relaxing & romantic. The restaurants are excellent. We watched the fireworks & Electrical Water Parade from the beach.
The only thing we didn't like was walking outside to get to the shops & restaurants.

I haven't stayed at the Grand Floridian - it just doesn't call to me.

tracyandalex

i've stayed in the contemporary and the polynesian. my choice would be the poly. the theming is great and so are the pools. the cotemporary is also nice though, there really isn't a lot of theming though. as for restraunts both have really good ones. if you have kids (even if you don't ccause we are gonna go anyways) chef mickey's at the contemporary is a must. poly has good restraunts too. i just like the poly the best.

tracy

KaliSplash

I've stayed at GF once and Contemporary twice.

GF is the flagship property with the best of everything. And you pay the best (most), too!! Had a lagoon view room which was wonderful. Also had two children under age 3 with me so that whole trip was pretty much a blur. But the hotel is top-notch.

Both times I've been on the MK side of the Contemporary, it is fantastic.
I sat there late one night and watched out my window while they put the monorails up for the night, switching them to the track to lead back to the shed behind the park (yes, I was up till about 3 that morning)!

The overall theming at Contemporary is less than overwhelming. The futuristic look as done in 1971 is a bit spare. My thinking is if you're going to spend the money to stay at the Contemporary, you should pay the money to stay in the tower. The Garden Rooms are just 'out there.'

Never stayed at the Polynesian, looks neat!

I'd go with GF if money is no object.

swimmom

Based on your four criteria, I would stay at the Polynesian.

The Contemporary atmosphere is too plain, but if I were to stay there I would definately stay in a tower room. The Grand Floridian has a great atomosphere, but I think it's too pricey.

My personal favorite is Wilderness Lodge. Great atmosphere, great pool area, good value, no walking in the rain between buildings and just a boat ride to the Magic Kingdom & Comtemporary where we often catch the monorail.

Nion4

I think the important thing is, what do you like -- the heart doesn't follow a rationale. People can argue for you here till we're blue in the face -- go with what you want. And wants are linked with desires which emanate from your emotions -- what does the heart tell you? There's my advice.

Me: I've stayed at the Grand Floridian simply because I like staying in the best hotels when I travel. I live in a nice place, and I want the place where I travel to be nicer. How do I know what's best? I usually go for the most expensive hotel, as long as its not too ornate. G.F. is on the edge there. Rooms there are o.k., but I think C and P's room sizes are a larger (earliest hotels built -- compare a premium like AKLodge or W.L room sizes with the originals -- whoah big difference).

Anywho,

Still, you get what you pay for . So in terms of Value, what do you value? High value, moderate value etc.

Now, I've yet to be in a remodeled room at Poly or Contempt-erary. to be honest, those give G.F. a serious run for the money from the photos I've seen. They look slick.

Atmosphere wise, contemporary is interesting -- very broad theme. Poly def. has its charm, G.F. has its benefits too. I think you can make a case for all three. Just depends what you want in a vacation, what kind of atmosphere you like . I like things wasp-y and simple but also some place that keeps the rif-raff out. But I also like spoiled children running around to remind me how bad of a parent I could be, so G.F. is where its at for me.

Things to do: what do you like to do I like boats, so all the marinas are cool. Although G.F. has an obvious clock for your boating times, which helps when you rent. There are lots of pools at G.F. The volcano slide at Poly is great, their dinner show is cool. The marina at contemporary is more 'stacked'. More options there -- like parasailling and a morning skidoo cruise with the lakes to yourself. But, there's also the gym factor -- if you work out, contemporary has their gym in house I think, Poly uses a gym closer to the G.F. (share facilities).

There's also the dining factor. What do you like there? I like nice stuff when I travel. And the great thing is, I'll do Kona Salad for lunch, some potato salad and pasta salad at the contemp. and a nice dinner at G.F. dining in service -- looking at the fireworks.

General Hotel info:, I like how Poly is coming along with its reno's (shopping area for example and the new-ish volcano pool) and Contemporary's new marina area is nice too. But contemporary's wings scare me. Really low ceilings -- rooms seem nice though.

I'm the type of person that is about: you get what you pay for. Concierge Level, main lodge, Castle view -- that's cool for me.

My personal attitude is -- its nice to do a little research, see what others feel about stuff, but ultimately, only you know you. So take it and leave the advice, and go with what you feel is best for you.

Have fun deciding.

Noah&Emily'sMom

The Polynesian........you get the most for your money, you can't beat the themeing and there is not a bad view anywhere on property. If you are concerned about getting wet, (going from building to building) request the Samoa longhouse, 3rd floor if you want a balcony. That building is closest to everything except neverland club and TTC.
I don't know if this will help, but the last time we stayed at the poly I was so relaxed and comfortable there I actually spent 1 whole day at the hotel just relaxing and soaking up the atmosphere at the quiet pool. That might not sound like that big of a deal but I am of course a huge fanatic and obsesive planner, my husband could not believe that was how I wanted to spend the day:) It was great, he still says that was the best trip to WDW we've ever had.

tigsmom

swimmom said:
Based on your four criteria, I would stay at the Polynesian.

The Contemporary atmosphere is too plain, but if I were to stay there I would definately stay in a tower room. The Grand Floridian has a great atomosphere, but I think it's too pricey.

My personal favorite is Wilderness Lodge. Great atmosphere, great pool area, good value, no walking in the rain between buildings and just a boat ride to the Magic Kingdom & Comtemporary where we often catch the monorail.

Have to totally agree with this. We have stayed there ...hmmmm... about 8 times.

TiggerBW

Based on the entertainment, atmosphere, location, and restaurants I would choose Poly. I've stayed there once before and LOVED it. The pools are great. There is a lot to do.
I agree about the WL also! :) But my fav is Poly. :wave:

wdwishes2005

probably contemporary or poly, i haven't stayed at either but based upon what the rooms look like and atmosphere, i would chose them. the GF is fancy, but a little over the top for me. just my opinion..

GoofyInOhio

Poly would be my choice of the 3. GF appears beautiful and you would have plenty to do, but the people seem a little stuck up for me. Little too high class for my blood is all. I think the Contemporary would be a great choice as well. I can't speak for the rooms, but I love the game room, Chef Mickeys are awesome. Poly has the atmosphere, the view, great places to eat and the Monorail. Those 4 things is what I would base my decision on.

The Goof

brich

Poly for me.... :D
The Contemporary was never appealing to me and the GF seemed to house the stuffy guest. Of course I could be wrong but those are my takes... :)

dr_teeth90210

Use the following criteria:
-Best Value
-Atmosphere
-Things to do
-Entertainment or Pools

- Best Value- The Garden Wing room with a standard view. $244 a night during value season which is $60 cheaper than the garden room at the Poly and $105 cheaper than the garden view at Grand Floridian.
- Atmosphere- The Polynesian
- Things to do- Tie between the Poly and the Grand Floridian, but with all 3 resorts tied to the same monorail line this should not be a huge deciding factor.
-Entertainment or Pools- The Polynesian. The Volcano pool is very nice and your children( if you have any ) will love the slide.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom