Which vacation would u prefer or What's your vacationing style?

What vacation style is your preference?

• Take 4 or more good vactions in a year

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Take one GREAT vacation per year

Votes: 16 59.3%

• Total voters

jozzmenia

Original Poster
I was just curious. I see a lot of debates on here about whether or not to stay on-site, which Disney hotels are better, where to dine, which parks to visit, etc. I'm in a lot of these conversations because I like to get tips. But it's made me realize something about my personal vacation style. Personally, i think I tend to choose quantity over quality. I like to take several good vacations a year rather than one great one. I would rather go to Orlando 4 times in a year, see different parks (not just Disney), eat at one really good restaurant where we can get dressed up, then the rest of the days go to good restaurants, pizza hut, perkins, ihop, etc. and stay at a good hotel with a good value when I find a good promotion (there's always one in Orland :)), etc. I mean, I would rather spend $400-500 on a 4 day vacation and go 4 times a year, than spend $2000 on one big vacation for a week.

However, I know that others save and go all out on that one big vacation for the year. My dream vacation (honeymoon perhaps? :cool: ) would be about 10-14 nights at Grand Floridian or Beach Club with dining and some spa treatments and hopper passes and all. We definitely COULD do it by the time we get married (talking about 2008) or later. We could even save and do it next year. But I like this way. We're not going into debt for vacation and we get to go more. I've stayed in hotels ranging from Comfort Inn to Caribe Royale and Westgate Lakes to Hyatt, etc. while on vacation in Orlando, and haven't had a problem with a single one.

So I just wondered what other people's style is. Several good vacations, or one GREAT vacation per year or so?

Just curious :eek:

KrazyKemp

Unfortunately, I live so far away from Disney World that every trip to the World costs at least $1,000.

Including airfare, hotel (on or off site), tickets, and souvenirs...

Maybe one year I can afford to go more than one time a year...but it may not be this year...

chris70785

Since I have 2 kids (1 yrs and 3 yrs) and we drive (about 11 hrs) to Disney from Louisiana, I favor the one great vacation. That drive is hard enough once a year, especially because the kids are stuck in their seats for the majority of the day. Thank goodness for DVD players.

MadameCheshire

I prefer to have many little excursions.. the get away from "the bubble" (a nickname for where I go to school.. trust me.. it's a bubble)

But we have DVC so we just spread out points out, and we work it so we can go on one or two one week vacations and one 2 week.

:sohappy:

justducky78

We prefer quality over quantity -- 10 days minimum at a deluxe... breakfast, lunch and dinner at the better restaurants and we like to go all out - spa, boat rental, car rental, valet, etc. I know a lot of people won't pay the deluxe prices (because they say you only sleep in the room) but we see it differently...I like coming back to a nice room with all the amenities and services, with a beautiful lobby, great restaurants, central location, etc. We usually spend all afternoon at the pool so a nice, relaxing pool is also important.

I'd like to go to Disney more, but then - how would we fit in all our other favorite vacations spots each year?! I love Disney but we like to go other places, too.

We love to splurge at Disney and if that means we have to save up and go less often, that's what we'll do.

justducky78

MadameCheshire said:
I prefer to have many little excursions.. the get away from "the bubble" (a nickname for where I go to school.. trust me.. it's a bubble)

But we have DVC so we just spread out points out, and we work it so we can go on one or two one week vacations and one 2 week.

:sohappy:

Oh - and we call it the Disney bubble, too! Once we set foot on Disney property, we don't leave! My brother was in Orlando for a conference the same time we were and wanted to meet for dinner off-property --- we said, NO WAY! Once we enter this world we don't leave! So, we told him we could meet halfway (at Downtown Disney) instead!

SilentWindODoom

It depends on your definition of a "good" and "great" vacation. If a good vacation constitutes 3 days staying off-site and eating McDonalds and Pizza Hut most of the time, then I'd definitely go for one big trip. If we get at least 4 days, stay in a moderate resort, and never leave the property, then I'd go for several of those trips, as that's pretty much how we do things now (although there's usually 5 or 6 days).

Unfortunately, we are doomed to not do this. Until next year, when we're going and taking my cousin, we'd been going once every 6 years (92, 98, 04). :( It's a long drive from New York.

SewIn2Disney

How about a "middle vacation"? We usually go every other year, or every two years. We stay in a value resort, but go to the parks every day, see and hit it all, eat in one nice resturant every day, as well as aim for one character breakfast. While we don't go all out on everything, it's more like everything in moderation.

We do, however, take a three day vacation every single summer, regardless of wether we are going to WDW or not. We go to Hersheypark for two days, and Lancaster (Amish Country, for those of you not from around here) for the other day. That's a very basic (read: cheap) vacation. (With coupons, Hershey tickets are only $30, and you get in the night before for free!)

Other then that, I don't allow my family to vacation anywhere else.

Spine_DR

Multiple vacations would be ideal but with my son's school schedule and my practices busiest times in the fall and spring, summer is usually the only time we can get away, plus i usually take alot of extended family members like parents and brother so there schedules make it hard to do multiple vacations.

Mr. WDB

I definitely favor quality over quantity, especially now that we have kids. I suppose it is also out of necessity that I prefer one big vacation a year, as that's all I can realistically do (we live in NH, so that means we're flying; that means 4 rt tickets -- better to do that only once for the year!). I usually try to get most bang for the buck by getting the nicest hotel I can that will fit into my budget and stay for a full week. Several shorter trips would end up costing me more than I could spare. But that's me.

jozzmenia

Original Poster
Mr. WDB said:
I definitely favor quality over quantity, especially now that we have kids. I suppose it is also out of necessity that I prefer one big vacation a year, as that's all I can realistically do (we live in NH, so that means we're flying; that means 4 rt tickets -- better to do that only once for the year!). I usually try to get most bang for the buck by getting the nicest hotel I can that will fit into my budget and stay for a full week. Several shorter trips would end up costing me more than I could spare. But that's me.

Maybe that's why I favor the "quantity" vacations. I don't have kids. So I can get away with a buffet breakfast, an ice cream sundae for lunch, and a formal dinner, or whatever I want. I don't need to see the characters everyday, I have the "you only sleep in the room" philosophy as long as it's clean with comfy beds and a good pool. Just playing it by ear type of things. I think when I have kids (I'm 26) I will be more inclined to stay in Disney and go all out so they can get the most out of the experience. :eek:

jozzmenia

Original Poster
SilentWindODoom said:
It depends on your definition of a "good" and "great" vacation. If a good vacation constitutes 3 days staying off-site and eating McDonalds and Pizza Hut most of the time, then I'd definitely go for one big trip. If we get at least 4 days, stay in a moderate resort, and never leave the property, then I'd go for several of those trips, as that's pretty much how we do things now (although there's usually 5 or 6 days).

Unfortunately, we are doomed to not do this. Until next year, when we're going and taking my cousin, we'd been going once every 6 years (92, 98, 04). :( It's a long drive from New York.

Well, we had a rule originally: Don't eat anywhere in Orlando that u can eat at in Michigan. We were going to try all new places, but it sometimes doesn't work out that way. (Like when you've got the munchies at 1 am...) :D

We don't eat any fast food though, like McDonald's or Burger King :hurl: not a big fan. My boyfriend wanted KFC, but i said no Fast Food. I don't mind a good pizza place though. And I really enjoy Perkins and IHOP for breakfast. Stuff like that. I mean, we could have a stack of Pancakes for breakfast anywhere. We're both pretty easy to please on breakfast. And I either want a big lunch with a late or light dinner, or a light lunch with a big dinner. That gives us a lot of options. So I don't think we take crappy vacations. In fact, Our last trip was absolutely perfect and we stayed in the comfort inn. :lookaroun But then, my rose colored classes tend to appear when the plane lands in orlando...:eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom