Which Twilight Zone Tower of Terror is better?

CTXRover

ballewclan said:
It really does look amazing but i'm wondering if it will have the fifth demension...

The actual ride experience reportedly will be very similar to DCA's, but with a storyline completely void of any twilight zone themes. It supposedly will contain a similar scene as DCA's mirror scene and a hallway scene but with different visuals to fit the new storyline. I have not heard anything yet to suggest there will be any additional scenes, but there has been nothing officially released. The detail on the exterior of the building looks amazing, but the side profile of the building is near identical to DCA's, just with different thematic elements. In other words, it is NOT built for the 5th dimension room.

However, an older Imagineer book I have shows a model of TDS before it was even built. TOT was part of the model with an exterior themeatic look very similar to the one that was built, but it was clearly the shape of MGM's tower vs DCA's. So apparently at one time they were considering building the Tokyo tower with the 5D room as well.

dr_teeth90210

ballewclan said:
It really does look amazing but i'm wondering if it will have the fifth demension...

It's rumoured not to have the 5th Dimension room, but Disney has yet to make an official announcement. I personally hope the rumours are false.

It's seems silly to add that much detail( money ) into an attraction and not even include the 5th Dimension room.

The latest reincarnation of TOT is supposed to have some new special effects though.

Connor002

dr_teeth90210 said:
It's seems silly to add that much detail( money ) into an attraction and not even include the 5th Dimension room.

Why waste the money on a novelty? Honestly, the system is amazing in it's accomplishments, but is really not that practical.

Disneyfan1981

Personally, for my money the ToT in MGM Studios is the best by far, that random ride sequence adds a lot but I will admit the visual effects are better at DCA. The last three times I went since DCA's version opened it hasn't seemed to have the same attendance effect on the park as MGM's version does though...

DLP Fan

The Walt Disney Studios Paris is also getting its own TOT and I doubt that it will have a 5th dimension room or that an impressive queue like MGM. Like most other things in the park I imagine it will be built as cheaply as possible!

I have never been to DCA so does the queue begin in the hotel lobby? Do you just walk off the street into there? The last few times I have been at MGM you do not get to take in the whole outside queue area in the gardens. Its a shame cause the theming there is wonderful.

Does anyone know how the MGM 5th Dimension room works? How is it possible for a lift to be in one shaft, move horizontally forward and then enter and fall in another??? Any ideas?

Madison

DLP Fan said:
The Walt Disney Studios Paris is also getting its own TOT and I doubt that it will have a 5th dimension room or that an impressive queue like MGM. Like most other things in the park I imagine it will be built as cheaply as possible!

I have never been to DCA so does the queue begin in the hotel lobby? Do you just walk off the street into there? The last few times I have been at MGM you do not get to take in the whole outside queue area in the gardens. Its a shame cause the theming there is wonderful.

Does anyone know how the MGM 5th Dimension room works? How is it possible for a lift to be in one shaft, move horizontally forward and then enter and fall in another??? Any ideas?

The DCA Tower queue begins outside. The interior boiler room queue is significantly different than the Florida tower and far superior, in my opinion.

The Florida's Tower features ride vehicles like many other rides. For the Fifth Dimension scene, the ride vehicles exit the elevator cages in the first set of shafts and drive themselves forward to the drop shafts. They steer by following the magnetic field of a wire embedded in the floor. In the drop shaft, they enter into a second cage that is attached to the elevator's drive motors. At the end of the ride, the ride vehicle again backs out of the cage and turns to face the exit using the same guidance as the Fifth Dimension scene.

Connor002 said:
Why waste the money on a novelty? Honestly, the system is amazing in it's accomplishments, but is really not that practical.

I'm curious what it is about the Fifth Dimension sequence that you find amazing. I guess to the layperson, it's impressive, but the technology has been around for a very long time.

One of the things I like most about the two US Towers is precisely how unique they are. They each have strong elements that set them apart from the others.

tirian

vfxpro said:
I was told by someone at WDI that the 5th Dimension room will probably never be recreated. They said it was a bit of an engineering nightmare and it's very complex, so chalk it up to another attraction (or portion of one) that WDW has that no other park will more than likely ever have. This is the same Imagineer that told me they will never build another Test Track or Mission: Space.

I was referring to the random drops, not the fifth dimension.

However, you're right. I, too, was told that the scene will never be recreated; but Tokyo might get it anyway, since they basically get whatever they want.

Paris definitely won't!

CTXRover

DLP Fan said:

The WDSP TOT will be an identical clone to the DCA version from its exterior to the actual ride experience. From what I understand, despite the French culture not being familiar with the Twilight Zone tv show, their tower will keep the twilight zone theme. Imo, the story is so well done that nobody needs to know the series even existed to appreciate the story of TOT anyways.

I don't know the truth to this, but some claim that DCA's tower was actually originally designed for WDSP, but when DCA's attendance didn't reach expectations and the TOT was ordered to hopefully help, WDI decided to use those plans already developed so they could get DCA's tower under construction as soon as possible.

CTXRover

STR8FAN2005 said:
Thanks for the picture link. Although it is being built differently from the steel framed towers in Florida and California, you can definetely see the resemblance between DCA's and WDSP's towers even at this stage. Compare a pic of DCA's tower and you can practically overlay the themeing onto the "frame" that is currently up in Paris.

ToTBellHop

By the way, DCA's ToT is getting the random drop sequences around when Rock It Mountain opens at Disneyland. I wonder how MGM will explain any new "random" drop sequence since they have been calling the current version "random" since it opened--which I suppose it TECHNICALLY is, but they try to make you believe it's not just 1 of 4 drop sequences randomly picked. They should have used a lot more options than 4.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Personally, the thought of 13 random drop sequences at MGM scares the cr@p out of me.... and I'll just have to ride it over and over and over until I experience them all!!! I really hope they do something like this next year; unfortunately, it'll probably make wait times close to those of Soarin'! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom