which park to go to to get good suntan

blrduster

My teenage daughters are concerned with getting a good suntan while we are there, The weather forecast calls for a couple of clear sunny days , the others are calling for clouds. Which park is best for being outside most to get suntan ?

TTFN-Tiggger

I get the best sun walking through the world showcase at Epcot. Also at the MK I actually got too much sun a couple of years ago. Just use the fast passes so you don't spend your time inside waiting in lines. And find the spots in the sun to sit and rest/watch the parades. Have a fun!:D

Upvote 0

timkelmom

Florida is really sunny a lot of the time. They will get some sun just walking around the parks. Most of the resorts near Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon have beaches.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
blrduster said:
My teenage daughters are concerned with getting a good suntan while we are there, The weather forecast calls for a couple of clear sunny days , the others are calling for clouds. Which park is best for being outside most to get suntan ?

Get them to read this:

Tanning - A tan is often mistaken as a sign of good health. Dermatologists know better. A suntan is actually the result of skin injury. Tanning occurs when UV rays enter the skin and it protects itself by producing more pigment or melanin.

http://www.aad.org/public/Publications/pamphlets/SunandSkin.htm

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
I never get any type of tan or even a sun burn while I'm in Disney. You go in and out of buildings and shade so often the sun doesn't really get a chance to cook you - unless you're at a waterpark.

And yes, listen to Steve. Tans are not good things! Tell them to buy a tan in a can instead LOL.

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I burn - and i'm from Florida.

All of the parks will have you outside extensively - and incase you're wondering, you'll fry faster on an overcast day.

Tons of tourists come from not-so-sunny areas to FL and get severe sun burns because they're trying to tan and avoid any sun protection. Plus, even if you don't fear skin cancer - sun poisoning is very immediate and real and happens often in Florida.

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

I'd have to guess you'd get the most sun time walking around MGM.

I'm guesing there are about 3 trees there.

Maybe more. :lookaroun

But you know what I mean.

:p

Upvote 0

MichRX7

Premium Member
wdwmagic said:
Get them to read this:

Tanning - A tan is often mistaken as a sign of good health. Dermatologists know better. A suntan is actually the result of skin injury. Tanning occurs when UV rays enter the skin and it protects itself by producing more pigment or melanin.

http://www.aad.org/public/Publications/pamphlets/SunandSkin.htm

Hahaha, ever have teenage daughters? I don't think a brick to the head would stop them from wanting to tan. :lol:

I would have to agree with most of the posters that EPCOT is the place to go to get sun in the theme parks. But, if you want to protect their skin blindfold them and drop them off in the middle of Tom Sawyer Island. :)

Upvote 0

nicholas

True that! In 2002, I got sun poisoning after my first day in Florida. Spent the next three sick in bed with a high fever and unable to keep any food or liquid or down. It was horrid.

Forget the tan. Embrace the health!

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
For the water parks, Blizzard Beach is much worse as there isn't much cover and the reflection of that white....:eek: Typhoon Lagoon at least has good tree cover for escape.

My park vote is for Epcot. While MGM doesn't have many trees, the closeness of all the buildings provides shade for much of the day. People always say that AK is the hottest...but there is shade.

Upvote 0

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
nicholas said:
True that! In 2002, I got sun poisoning after my first day in Florida. Spent the next three sick in bed with a high fever and unable to keep any food or liquid or down. It was horrid.

Forget the tan. Embrace the health!
ouch! im lucky that ive never been that burned........ these days, as long as i dont blind somebody with whiteness im good..... i truely dont have the time to "sunbathe" as we use too.... and probably a good thing.

i like to live to see my kids kids.

but, like said before, Epcot:WS

Upvote 0

Senderella

jmaxwell007 said:
as long as i dont blind somebody with whiteness im good.....

I have to agree here. I'm pretty fair. I pretty much burn badly then go back to white. No in between. ALTHOUGH, when we were at Disney last year, I was using a good sunscreen (bullfrog - don't remember which SPF although it was a good high one) DAILY and I actually managed to get about a shade darker! LOL That's nothing to the average person and it really didn't look like much, but for me it was a big deal & *I* could tell. Then again, it was 7 full days in the sun! Take some Aloe with you. When your girls get burned at Disney, they'll be wishin they had listened! UGH! I couldn't imagine havin the fun ruined for me that way.

Upvote 0

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Senderella said:
I have to agree here. I'm pretty fair. I pretty much burn badly then go back to white. No in between. ALTHOUGH, when we were at Disney last year, I was using a good sunscreen (bullfrog - don't remember which SPF although it was a good high one) DAILY and I actually managed to get about a shade darker! LOL That's nothing to the average person and it really didn't look like much, but for me it was a big deal & *I* could tell. Then again, it was 7 full days in the sun! Take some Aloe with you. When your girls get burned at Disney, they'll be wishin they had listened! UGH! I couldn't imagine havin the fun ruined for me that way.
ive read over and over that any SPF over 30 is wasting your money and time....... after 30, they are basically the same.

makes sense.... we havent seen an SPF 3000 yet huh. the brand name would be called Icarus

Upvote 0

MissM

Ugh! Don't fool around with Florida sun. We have higher UV index here so what might be an hour to burn in the northern states is 10 minutes here. Most days we range in the 9 and up range on the UV index scale - winter included.

Look at the UV Burn chart here:
http://www.phoenixfiredesigns.com/stuff/uvburnchart.gif

Don't use the fact they're "teenagers" as an excuse! Be the parent and limit their sun exposure. You wouldn't brush off other dangerous activities and health risks, so why do it with the sun?!

I've lived here for 20 years. I got a 2nd degree burn from walking around in a car dealership lot within 20 minutes. Blisters, fevers, my skin cracked open and bled. Our ER's are full of tourists each summer who burn and get sick. It's not something to mess around with. At all.

Sunscreen and hats are the way to go. Not looking for the least shaded spots!
-m

Upvote 0

wishes

tanning..or burning

I have to agree with EPCOT, World Showcase. When the sun is on your back, walking around the showcase can be fatal!! And lets say that you take your time when you go around, thats a lot of time in the sun.
You are so right about Blizzard Beach- the glare from the whiteness is totally... :eek:
And the reflection from all the water esp. when on the Sea Raycers, (which btw are great fun!!)
so basically, you are safest from the sun inside the Carousel of Progress! When the sun is really shining you can tan or burn practically anywhere:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom