Which park do you think will eventualy be complete or out of room?

MetFan81

Original Poster
We all disucss how WDW will never be complete; however, which park do you think will be the first to have serious expansion concerns (well if you do not count MG currently). Also, out of the parks which do you see as the first to be complete in whatever sense you want to use.

See below for a good starting pt. of discussion;

Here is Marni's post from expansion questions:
Try a thread search; this was discussed recently. There`s nowhere at the MK for `5 or 6 lands` - north of the park between it and the railroad track wasn`t developed in `69 for building. Swampy swampy. It`s not impossible. Just very VERY expensive and disruptive. The land west of the service canal is too low - again not developed for a park.

As it stands the MK has 4 unbuilt expansion areas; 2 in Adland, the 20K plot and one in Tland (though for anything as big as planned in 1979 they`d have to move the SM lake. Again.)

MGM can and is designed to expand out into the parking lot; in effect shifting the infrastructure east. There is a 3.5 acre site ready to be cleared and used behind Indy, with more if needs be (including the original Monorail termination area.) Sunset has 3 plots still (the Copperfield site, the temporary market area and west of the ToT) - though the state of the park right now has plenty of unused areas.

Futureworld has one plot left, and World Showcase 6 1982 plots left, plus the Millenium Tent and half the Italy plot if needed.

DAK has the Beastly area, up to but not past the berm, and a huge area north of Kali (again not past the current Eastern berm)

PKD

Marni has some really great information that you can always learn from. It is always fun to read and see what knowledge he's writting or doing a video about

Champion

No park will ever be complete. They will always be changing/refurbing/replacing attractions.

However, the first park to use all available land will be Magic Kingdom.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Try a thread search; this was discussed recently. There`s nowhere at the MK for `5 or 6 lands` - north of the park between it and the railroad track wasn`t developed in `69 for building. Swampy swampy. It`s not impossible. Just very VERY expensive and disruptive. The land west of the service canal is too low - again not developed for a park.

As it stands the MK has 4 unbuilt expansion areas; 2 in Adland, the 20K plot and one in Tland (though for anything as big as planned in 1979 they`d have to move the SM lake. Again.)

MK has much more land available than this. As of early 90s, there was 108 acres of designated expansion space around MK.

ToTBellHop

Disneyland.
that's the one. WDW will always have extra space--even if it requires drastic shifts in the parks, they can make room in 30 years if they need it. Disneyland lacks that luxury. Disneyland will never be "complete," but it will increasingly be the case that the only new attractions will be replacements of old ones.

jmvd20

I don't think any of the parks will run out of room anytime in the next several decades. There is too much land available for expansion, whether it needs to be improved or not.

As far as completing a park - that will not happen. Theme parks must be updated, changed, expanded if they are to be successful.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
MK has much more land available than this. As of early 90s, there was 108 acres of designated expansion space around MK.
Around, or in, Steve? There`s the western expansion area west of the GF (technically the MK resort area) - on the board since `71 and still there in the mid 90`s. Seven Seas expansion included. On the otherside the Boneyard/Persian area was un-designated a while back though. What floats my boat is the area due north of the HM show building; within the berm and the cleared zone, access along the backstage road at the Swiss Skyway station - and with a front of house onto Rivers of America. Prepped and ready since `70 but at the back of the queue. Imagine at Splash style attraction there!

bryPOD

Around, or in, Steve? There`s the western expansion area west of the GF (technically the MK resort area) - on the board since `71 and still there in the mid 90`s. Seven Seas expansion included. On the otherside the Boneyard/Persian area was un-designated a while back though. What floats my boat is the area due north of the HM show building; within the berm and the cleared zone, access along the backstage road at the Swiss Skyway station - and with a front of house onto Rivers of America. Prepped and ready since `70 but at the back of the queue. Imagine at Splash style attraction there!

I like your thinking Marni, the swiss skyway station area should definatly be utilized, as it is prime real estate (next to P.Pan, IASW, and right near HM) and would be a great place for a new addition to Fantasy Land.

head mouse

None of them will ever run out of room. Disney can/will always buy more land and expand as needed. That was the whole point behinda WDW. Walt saw the mistake with DL and never wanted the to happen again. Hence the birth of WDW.

tirian

The MK and Epcot will probably be the last to run out of room, because they're already so well-developed that new attractions will be slow in coming.

But the MK really does need new D,E, and C tickets ASAP. The park should not be able to be covered in just a day; and right now, it can be done relatively easily.

hokielutz

I like your thinking Marni, the swiss skyway station area should definatly be utilized, as it is prime real estate (next to P.Pan, IASW, and right near HM) and would be a great place for a new addition to Fantasy Land.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but i really don't see any space where you are talking about. Behind that Swiss Skyway station is the support building for the Haunted Mansion ride... and there is only a thin alleyway between the HM building and Small World. The only reason that we think there is space is the wonders of imagineering and masterful stage setting.

Here is the link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...ll=28.420495,-81.582429&spn=0.001618,0.001851

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sorry to burst your bubble, but i really don't see any space where you are talking about. Behind that Swiss Skyway station is the support building for the Haunted Mansion ride... and there is only a thin alleyway between the HM building and Small World.
I`ts not a bubble burst - just wishful thinking regarding the land North of IASW / the HM show building. It wouldn`t be the first time a backstage lane was pushed further back - though in this case it`d be more of turning it into an onstage pre queue area - though I`ll make it clear I`ve never heard of such an idea outside of *cough* a Matterhorn behind IASW or *cough* * cough* Shadowlands :rolleyes:

In all fairness it`s not as thin as you think: http://local.live.com/default.aspx?...t=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=5219433&encType=1

hokielutz

None of them will ever run out of room. Disney can/will always buy more land and expand as needed. That was the whole point behinda WDW. Walt saw the mistake with DL and never wanted the to happen again. Hence the birth of WDW.

But one of the problems with Eisner and Co is they have sold of a bunch of the originally purchased land to outside developers. Slowling narrowing the buffer around our wonderful kingdom.

Could they possibly have cut off some of their future expansion space?:shrug:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Quoting again, I just did some digging and have indeed uncovered some interesting info; it looks like the area north of the Utilidor entrance (backstage) including the backstage parking area / CM bus stop, all the way to and including the entire 20K plot was proposed in 1969 to become onstage should the need arise. Interestingly too, the area north of the HM was designed to accommodate *something* eventually.

I might also eat humble pie (twice in a week if you believe in hat box ghosts) - the area north of the 20k plot upto the railroad berm looks like it did have infrastructure work in `69. As did an area north east of what became Mickeys Birthdayland, upto World Drive North (possibly to take the Persian monorail I`d imagine) - Steve, you have a PM!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom