Which means more to you: the Parks or the Characters?

Parks or Characters?

• Parks

Votes: 59 81.9%
  • Characters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equal

Votes: 13 18.1%

• Total voters

durangojim

Original Poster
With this celebration if feel like Disney missed the mark by focusing so much on characters and not enough on the parks and associated nostalgia. I like the characters but I love the rides and experiences. When I was a kid I used to bring out all my souvenir large maps, spread them out on the floor and imagine I was back at WDW. Wondering if I’m alone in this thinking?

aliceismad

Do you mean specifically at the Parks, or for Disney as a whole company? Holistically, the characters and stories (told through past and future movies) are most important to me, more than the Parks. But I don't go to the Parks to only see characters.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Both. The characters and Walt got me to love Disney. Now that I’m an adult the parks are what gets me to Disney. The characters will always have a part of my past and remain in my heart. I agree Disney should have given both park and characters recognition because they both hold importance over the years. Both have helped WDW reach 50.

Goofyernmost

If you meant the characters in the parks then that would be the reason I said the parks in the pole. The Disney characters as figures in full length movies animated or live action are part of what Disney produced and used often in the parks. Those are as important as anything because they are part of what Disney is. If you are referring to the foam heads wandering around the parks, they could all stay in the Utilidors and I wouldn't be upset in the least.

Rich T

The parks, which is why I’ll probably be going to Universal on future trips. The parks are being dumbed-down and overpriced to a ridiculous degree.

The characters are fun, but I don’t spend vacation dollars to watch people in costumes pretending to be chipmunks and mice, though the character CMs do put amazing heart into their performances.

RoadiJeff

The parks, which is why I’ll probably be going to Universal on future trips. The parks are being dumbed-down and overpriced to a ridiculous degree.

The characters are fun, but I don’t spend vacation dollars to watch people in costumes pretending to be chipmunks and mice, though the character CMs do put amazing heart into their performances.
??? Have you checked the prices lately for Universal tickets? I will be at WDW and Universal in about a week (3 days WDW, 2 days Universal) and I think Universal's ticket prices are the ridiculous ones.

For instance, tomorrow (10/04/2021) a one-day single park ticket to Universal is $132.00. An unlimited express pass added to that is $139.99. With tax, the total comes to $289.67 for one day for a single park. Fortunately, I saved a few dollars by buying through an online travel agent and I guess I will be standing in line because I am not going to buy an express pass that costs more than the actual ticket itself.

A single day ticket to WDW with no park hopping tomorrow (10/04/2021) is $134.19, with tax.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Which begs the conundrum are they separate entities that can exist without the other or are they synergistic? I purport that this issue was exacerbated with static meet and greets of fur and face characters in lieu of wandering characters.

PolynesianPrincess

Both for me, which is why I am super bummed out that they not only didn't incorporate Walt or Mickey into Enchantment, but also no nods to the attractions either. Disneyland had a fireworks show back in 2014 (I don't remember the name) but it featured a bunch of music from attractions like Haunted Mansion, Tiki Room, IASW, etc.. Also audio for the railroad. For DL's 60th, they had some audio from Walt in the fireworks show and that made it so much more special. Enchantment celebrated Disney characters and movies. I wish as a celebration of the resort turning 50, they had honored the attractions, Walt and Mickey in some way.

PiratesMansion

I don't pay hundreds of dollars to engage with characters that I could watch for free in movies I've already paid for. Or that I could engage with for the price of ~$10/month or whatever D+ is going for these days.

I buy tickets to be at the park, ride rides, and get an experience I can't get for much cheaper sitting at home on my couch. But that experience has to be worth it in order for me to continue to do so.

What makes it worth it: engaging attractions (that are more than just "here's your favorite character, but on a ride!!!!11"), great atmosphere, genuine consideration for the park and the guests who visit it and what would be best for both of those things.
What doesn't: slapping a character or IP on every available surface whether or not it belongs there, especially if it's at the expense of the things I care about or things that help create a more varied, dimensional, and more meaningful experience.

As much as there are more and more people who really want to, shall we say, "live their favorite brand" at all moments of their lives, I'm not convinced that most people above the age of five actually want constant character immersion at the expense of a worthwhile environment. And if they do want that, than I'd say that they should want it at a higher level than Disney's generally dolling it out.

But it's clear what the people running the joint think is the correct answer.

Karakasa

The parks.

Like, that's not even a question. If I just wanted to see Disney film or TV characters but "in real life"... Comic-con exists and is way cheaper.

And truthfully, most Disney movies aren't really worlds I want to be immersed in more than a long laundry list of other stories or settings, so the refocus on IPs rather than original ideas, public domain ideas, or other company's properties is kind of "eh" to me. Certainly, slot in the characters where they make sense, but trying to fit a rectangle into a square hole is ill advised.

It's fun to see Chip and Dale going on a little picnic at Hollywood Studios but that's not something I wanna do all day. That's a nice little distraction for a few minutes- then let me go see other things. Unique things I can't see anywhere else. If the parks do become nothing more than "what you see on the screen but REAL" I'll be truly disappointed.

Tom Morrow

I have never, ever cared about the characters. Even as a kid. From my first visit at 9 years old I was already inspired by the perfection, the imagination, the architecture, and the impression that this place was accomplishing the impossible.

AdventureHasAName

To the extent I care about any Disney characters, they are almost always ones that are parks-associated (or recently acquired IP, like Indiana Jones). Off the top of my head, my favorite Disney characters are Figment, Dreamfinder, the Tiki Room birds, the Hitchhiking Ghosts, Madam Leota, Big Al, the Orange Bird, the Wife Auction Redhead (not the new one), Captain EO, Wall Mounted Max, Kitchen Kabaret Broccoli, and Polynesian Resort Maui.

aliceismad

Which begs the conundrum are they separate entities that can exist without the other or are they synergistic? I purport that this issue was exacerbated with static meet and greets of fur and face characters in lieu of wandering characters.
The M&G is "safer" for the guests and CMs because it allows for a line and not mobbing of wandering characters. But realistically, I think M&Gs are a cheap and easy way for Disney to keep more guests occupied and "happy" without building additional attractions. And I'm one of those people who falls for it, cause I got pics of the family with Joy and Baymax and Kylo Ren and Olaf and pretty much every character except the princesses, because my daughter only cares about Frozen and Moana princesses.

If we're saying "are you more likely to wait in line for a ride if it has an IP you like" well, maybe not me personally, but I see the lines for FEA.

jprusso

With this celebration if feel like Disney missed the mark by focusing so much on characters and not enough on the parks and associated nostalgia. I like the characters but I love the rides and experiences. When I was a kid I used to bring out all my souvenir large maps, spread them out on the floor and imagine I was back at WDW. Wondering if I’m alone in this thinking?
I would have like to see, as they did in the past, bring back old characters, products, pricing, etickets, and parades from the 71 opening. Its suppose to be a celebration of the past 50 years. I don't think anything can identify with the past.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom