Which is worse, DAS or paid fastpass?

LovePop

My son has been severely disabled since birth, but his disability isn't obvious. We've been going to WDW yearly for over 10 years now, and I've always made the fastpass work for us so that I never needed to ask Disney for their disability pass. It made me feel very proud of myself (that I managed such a feat*), very proud of my son, and very good about my family. At home, we have to deal with his disability every day, and it's difficult, but in Disney World, we can pretend that it doesn't exist, that he is just like everybody else, and we are just like every other family. It is so wonderful that for past few years, I have forgotten that DAS existed.

(*Please note that I am not saying this to make other families who can't avoid the DAS feel bad. I am just saying that I'm lucky enough to be able to make the fastpass work for us, but I understand that it can't work for everyone.)

But now, it is obvious Disney is going to charge for the fastpass. And not for a small amount either. Imagine paying $72 to get my family of 4 fastpasses to ride Buzz Lightyear (you have gotta to be kidding me.) If we pay for as many fastpasses as we normally use, it will double out ticket prices, that is, another $3000 per trip.

Now, financially, I can afford this. For one thing, I can reduce our park visits to every other year or less. Or stay offsite. Or save more money. But it just feels so odd that I think it will take the fun out of using the fastpass. On the other hand, using the DAS will force me to be reminded, before every ride, that we are a disabled family, something I most definitely won't enjoy. I don't know which is worse.

I've been thinking about this for days and haven't figured out what to do. What would you do if you were in my situation?

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Get the DAS and use it to better your time at WDW. The reality is that you are a disabled family, theres nothing wrong with that. Our family has had to live with DW's disability and all the challenges, sacrifices, frustrations, hardships that comes with it on a daily basis. Weve learned to work our lives around it and make the best of it. DW refuses to let her disability rule her or run her life. She refuses to give in or give up. We continue to go to WDW because of how the CM's treat her, the access we get and how much enjoyment the trip brings to our lives. DW educates others she comes in contact with every day and makes people realize that a disability isnt something to be ashamed of and when others interact with her, her inspiration opens their eyes, and very often changes their lives.
The DAS at least gives you some advantage and makes the attractions a bit easier to handle. You, your son and your family have to deal with enough struggles with life on a daily basis at home. Using the DAS system will help you deal with the crowds and the extensive lines and make his trip easier to handle. This isnt about you, its about him. Instead of thinking that it puts his disability in your face, think about instead how it adds access and comfort to his day. Its there for you so let it work for you. Theres so many other things in life going against you that are unfair and set up as barriers to you, so let this one thing work in your favor.

Upvote 0

LovePop

Original Poster
You go to Guest Services inside or outside of the parks (both can do it). They will ask what accommodations you need. If a wheelchair or scooter fix these needs, then they will not give it to you. They will scan your magic bands of the one holding the DAS as well as all in the party and take a picture of the one who is in need of DAS. You get 6 people total in your group - though some special occasions I've seen more. The last family with 15 in a group was the largest I've seen.

There will be a CM stationed at the beginning or near the beginning of the ride entrance by the FP who can do it, or sometimes they have someone up at a different location (like Jungle Cruise they finally were stationed at the top of the stairs instead of having to go all the way down). They will scan your band and give you a time you can return. Anyone can go get a return time from the group, but the one holding the DAS will need to be the one to scan in for the return at the FP.

For each subsequent trip - it's only good for up to 14 days for LOS pass holders or 60 days for AP holders - one has to go to GS again and "renew" it. They do not ask the same questions as the first time. If it's been a year they will retake a picture.

There are no papers at all to worry about keeping track of.
Thanks for the great description. Very helpful.

Upvote 0

LovePop

Original Poster
Get the DAS and use it to better your time at WDW. The reality is that you are a disabled family, theres nothing wrong with that. Our family has had to live with DW's disability and all the challenges, sacrifices, frustrations, hardships that comes with it on a daily basis. Weve learned to work our lives around it and make the best of it. DW refuses to let her disability rule her or run her life. She refuses to give in or give up. We continue to go to WDW because of how the CM's treat her, the access we get and how much enjoyment the trip brings to our lives. DW educates others she comes in contact with every day and makes people realize that a disability isnt something to be ashamed of and when others interact with her, her inspiration opens their eyes, and very often changes their lives.
The DAS at least gives you some advantage and makes the attractions a bit easier to handle. You, your son and your family have to deal with enough struggles with life on a daily basis at home. Using the DAS system will help you deal with the crowds and the extensive lines and make his trip easier to handle. This isnt about you, its about him. Instead of thinking that it puts his disability in your face, think about instead how it adds access and comfort to his day. Its there for you so let it work for you. Theres so many other things in life going against you that are unfair and set up as barriers to you, so let this one thing work in your favor.
Thanks for a wonderful reminder. I said in my original post that I've been making the fastpass work for us, but the truth is, now that I think more about it, during the last couple of trips, the fastpass situation has gotten worse for us and hasn't worked near as well as it used to. I probably should have started using DAS when that happened, but I had forgotten about it and never thought of it.

I appreciate everybody's help and I've decided to try the DAS next trip around next May. I will get it as a backup and only use it when all other tricks have failed. In the past, the challenge was, make the fastpass work. From now on I will take a new direction: see how few DAS tickets I can get by with. We will play a new game from now on where the lower the score is, the better!

I am not ashamed of being a disabled family or that my son is disabled, but it's nice to pretend to be a normal family during our Disney vacations. Disney is all about pretend fun, and for us, there was the added benefit of pretending to not be disabled. Though that benefit sort of faded in the last years because we had gotten so used to it, we never thought about it anymore, until this rumor about paid fastpass brought it all back.

Upvote 0

LovePop

Original Poster
2) while I don't think guest satisfaction is nearly as much on the radar for current management as it has been in the past, I'm questioning if they're willing to tank guest satisfaction by completely eliminating all but paid FP.
I hope very much that you are right. I'm sure I'm not the only family who will be forced into taking the DAS when the fastpass officially disappears and gets replaced by the "Disney Premier Access". I think if Disney continues on this path, more and more people will get the DAS until it becomes the unofficial fastpass "hack", especially if no medical paperwork is required to get it.

Upvote 0

Old Mouseketeer

Don’t forget if you need to use a scooter or wheelchair then you usually don’t need DAS from guest services as the CM at the ride entrance will sort out accommodations.
I know you meant well, but this is only partially correct advice. Yes, at older attractions it is sufficient to speak to the CM working the "Greeter" position at the ride entrance and identify that you are using an assistive device due to a mobility impairment. This can include wheelchair/ECV, stroller as wheelchair, stroller as walker (for the person pushing the stroller), crutches, cane, braces, or prosthetic. However, newer attractions are built with accessible queues so there is usually no "front of the line" exception for guests with mobility impairments. I use an assistive device full time for my condition and I also worked attractions for a few years both with the old GAC card and the first two iterations of DAS.

Since this thread was started regarding cognitive disabilities, let me reiterate that going to Guest Relations is the appropriate thing to do, especially if one is visiting the parks for the first time in a while. The DAS system has continued to evolve, especially as it has been increasingly abused. The critical thing here is to be ready to explain why you need assistance for the person in your party. The Plaids have been trained very specifically in how to ask these questions in order to provide assistance while respecting the privacy and dignity of guests. With the elimination of the traditional FastPass system, this has become more critical.

Upvote 0

Old Mouseketeer

Just the fact that your son can handle WDW is a HUGE accomplishment and something to be proud of and celebrate! 🙂

We took our first trip with our boys when they were 2 1/2 and 7. My youngest was not only a runner...he also DID NOT behave well in public. AT ALL. It took a lot of work in a short time (3 months of "boot camp" specifically designed by me), but our first trip was a huge success! As was the next! At the end of their 3rd trip, I was approached by a stranger after our flight home...she tapped me on the shoulder and said "I had NO idea you had 2 kids with you!" We potty trained our youngest on one of our trips, and he also learned not to run and to walk and hold hands in a crowd at WDW. Interestingly, waiting at WDW hasn't been an issue for us (YET...see my previous comment about "boring")...but if you think about all of the different things a WDW trip entails that could set off a melt-down, the fact that our kiddos do so well is flat-out AMAZING. Just the logistics of getting to WDW is enough to send some neurotypical adults into a tail spin.

I'm a little freaked out about no longer having FP+, too...while we've not had any issues waiting yet, we haven't had to wait for EVERY ride yet, either. I'm keeping 2 things in mind...

1) our WDW trips have - more than anything else - taught my sons how to adapt to new things. New places to sleep, new surroundings, new sounds, new things to see and do, etc. Aside from getting ready for a trip, and actually getting to WDW, everything about a WDW trip for them is "go with the flow". I do all the planning...we do a specific park in the morning, then I give us 2 choices for a park for the afternoon/evening so there's some flexibility built in, and they get to choose. I have a spreadsheet I carry with us, so they can look and see what we're doing next or the options available, but they usually don't look at it very often.

2) while I don't think guest satisfaction is nearly as much on the radar for current management as it has been in the past, I'm questioning if they're willing to tank guest satisfaction by completely eliminating all but paid FP. Some people think we're going to get exactly the system they're now using at DLP, but WDW and DLP are two completely different animals and what works at one likely won't automatically work at the other. So, I'm in wait and see mode. When they do finally roll out the new system, I'll watch how it works and we'll adapt. That may mean utilizing the DAS pass, but it also might not.

I wouldn't sweat about this TOO much...you sound like an amazing mom, and you've managed things with your son that not a ton in our position do - trips to WDW! That in and of itself is a huge win, and I'm confident that we'll all figure out what the "new thing" is that works for our families. Sending big hugs! 😊

This times 1000!!!

Years ago when I worked attractions I met some fantastic families with kids who had a variety of special needs. As I have both visible and hidden disabilities, this is very close to my heart. I also had a couple of coworkers who had children on the Autism spectrum and we were absolutely astonished at the small (but very vocal) number of parents who didn't plan ahead or had a chip on their shoulder. I lost count of the times I had an irate parent literally scream at me "well, I guess Disney doesn't care about Autistic children" because they didn't get exactly what they wanted. The overwhelming majority of families with special needs were very appreciative of any way we could assist them, including some with the most profound conditions. I was fortunate enough to meet some incredible families.

The most important advice on this thread is to plan ahead, remember that different rides and different parks have their own rules for accessibility. Be prepared to be flexible and understand that things can change from one visit to another. Don't assume that it's going to be exactly the same. Unfortunately, Disney has to deal with people who try to game the system. I have had to teach my nieces and nephews that their Uncle's DAS card isn't the "Willie Wonka Golden Ticket" that will automatically get them to the front of the line. I wish we still lived in and earlier time (ten or more years ago) when accessibility was easier. But the cheaters have repeatedly overrun the system and we're having to pay the price.

Upvote 0

ImperfectPixie

I hope very much that you are right. I'm sure I'm not the only family who will be forced into taking the DAS when the fastpass officially disappears and gets replaced by the "Disney Premier Access". I think if Disney continues on this path, more and more people will get the DAS until it becomes the unofficial fastpass "hack", especially if no medical paperwork is required to get it.
We really, REALLY need the laws updated so that people aren't able to lie to take advantage of things meant to help people with disabilities. It makes me sick that so many are willing to do so.

There really should be a state or federally issued card (with security similar to a driver's license) that a person can show. It doesn't need to contain any medical information - just something to confirm that yes, the holder is actually disabled.

@Old Mouseketeer ...meant to quote you too.

Upvote 0

StarWarsGirl

People like that suck. It's none of their business.

Also...not all disabilities are visible.
In 2019 I was majorly sick. I came home from WDW and had my entire thyroid removed. During my WDW trip, there were times I was so tired that I was almost to the point of needing a scooter. I was 23 at the time and looked healthy, but I was far from it.

I am never judging anyone ever again.

Upvote 0

ImperfectPixie

In 2019 I was majorly sick. I came home from WDW and had my entire thyroid removed. During my WDW trip, there were times I was so tired that I was almost to the point of needing a scooter. I was 23 at the time and looked healthy, but I was far from it.

I am never judging anyone ever again.
The like is for the not judging part...

I had NO idea having your thyroid removed was even a thing! I'm sorry you were so sick and had to go through that.

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

Thanks for the reply, and very sorry to hear about your condition. May I ask how do you get the DAS at WDW, exactly, and how does it work? Do you go to guest services at a park, and wait in line till they give you a piece of paper certificate? Can you do that at the Disney hotel? Do you do this once and Disney remembers you, or for each Disney trip? What kind of medical paperwork should I bring? Does my son have to come along and wait at the guest services with me? And how do I use the DAS at the rides, do I bring the DAS to the each ride attendant and they give me a paper pass? Or they stamp my certificate?
You just go to the guest services desk at the first park you enter, and they will link your magic band to the DAS…you won’t need proof, (but I always carry a letter from my neurologist just in case) thanks for the kind thought

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

I know this has been pointed out already but since I have been confronted twice I want to point this out again.

When I travel with my mom she requires the DAS.

I move about 50 times faster than my mom so I get return times.

So I’m a perfectly healthy able bodied person getting a return time and there is nothing wrong with that.

On two separate occasions I’ve been confronted by a guest who told me I don’t look disabled.

I just told them I’m not, and walked away.

I don’t owe them an explanation but it makes things uncomfortable.
I agree 100%! That’s why I have an MS bumper sticker on the back of my scooter ( I shouldn’t have to, but it makes me feel better)

Upvote 0

awesomeinabox

Be prepared for people to say things about you using the DAS. Be prepared for the looks, the comments from others, and generic rudeness... But also be prepared for the easiest experience of your life and to ask yourself why you didn't do it sooner.

I'm going blind. It's not a fun experience. Currently in low light or if the lighting changes quickly I go completely blind and cannot move safely. I carry a cane and always have a friend or family member in front of me to catch me when I inevitably fall, but if you see me in the park I look and feel totally fine so I usually get people suggesting I'm "abusing" the system (including the woman at the Town Hall where I got the pass). Just remind yourself that your and your child's life is personal and they have no right to judge you for it.

Upvote 0

LovePop

Original Poster
Be prepared for people to say things about you using the DAS. Be prepared for the looks, the comments from others, and generic rudeness... But also be prepared for the easiest experience of your life and to ask yourself why you didn't do it sooner.

I'm going blind. It's not a fun experience. Currently in low light or if the lighting changes quickly I go completely blind and cannot move safely. I carry a cane and always have a friend or family member in front of me to catch me when I inevitably fall, but if you see me in the park I look and feel totally fine so I usually get people suggesting I'm "abusing" the system (including the woman at the Town Hall where I got the pass). Just remind yourself that your and your child's life is personal and they have no right to judge you for it.
Thanks for the reminder of how other people might act inappropriately towards us if we use the DAS. I had forgotten, but that was one reason I wanted to avoid the DAS. In general, I like to avoid Guest Relations if I can help it, because the CMs there are generally unpleasant, being that they have an unpleasant job.

And very sorry to hear about your disability, that is awful.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom