Which Guide Book?

WigglyWiggins

Ive never bought a guidebook for disney before (cos i think i know my way round the parks pretty well now....) but im interested in buying one just for sheer pleasure of reading before i go. Which one would you all suggest? and where to buy from?

gjpjtj

I purchased a guide book called "Walt Disney World with Kids 2002", it is by Kim Wright Wiley. I bought it at Barnes and Noble, they have a whole section devoted to Disney, (at least at the one by me). I really bought it because it was a large book, but it turned out to be very informative.

:)

Upvote 0

WigglyWiggins

Original Poster
Thats great except for two things
1) I dont have Kids!
2) I live in the uk, and we dont have a shop called Barnes and Noble!!!!
Thanks ever so much for rplying tho and ill have a look on the net to see if she does any other guide books.
Thanks again!

Upvote 0

WDWspider

I use to buy the Birnbaum Books year after year after year, but I have found a much better guide book, the Walt Disney World Passporter. It has everything like individual maps from each resort, even a map of DisneyQuest. It gives actual examples of menu items from each restaurant and the price of that item. It gives very good ride descriptions with a Ride rating from the woman who helps on the book, the man who helps on the book, and their child, so you get three opinions, plus it gives a combined reader input rating. They have pages called passpockets so you can keep tickets, guide books, and more for each day of your trip. There is just tons and tons of information in this book, I love it, you can find it here: http://www.passporter.com/wdw/

you can even download some sample pages to see more of what I'm talking about. I would suggest the deluxe version where you can take out old pages whenever you buy a new edition upgrade and replace them with current info. But the Standard version is very good also. Just my opinion, but I have bought many different guide books for the past ten years, and I think this is the best hands down.

Upvote 0

kellympmo

I really like the Unofficial Guide To WDW. I used it last year when planning our trip and it was so helpful and interesting to read (lots of stories, experiences from people). It's great because it has a lot of information for adults with no kids. There are these awesome touring plans you can use to maximize your time in the world. They really work! The only thing is-I checked and this year's edition still has info about early opening--you'll just have to ignore those references. All in all--good book.

Upvote 0

Malc

Yep, we used the Unofficial Guide To WDW too, especially on our first trip. Its very thorough, and those touring plans (if you need 'em) really do work. It covers all age groups and EVERY ride too. You can buy the book easily enough in book stores in the UK, so I guess you will have no problem on your side of the pond.

Upvote 0

DebiDebiDebi

Here's another vote for the Passporter gueide! Absolutely fabulous book, updated yearly, and a total wealth of information AND practicality! The pockets keep me organized, the planning charts are great...this is the book you won't want to leave home without!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

tenchu

I've got the new Birnbaum (official guide) and the new unnofficial. I would say the unnofficial was more helpful, but thats probably because i know birnbaum from cover to cover. I ordered them from amazon, but the birnbaum took months to come.

The unnofficial is good as it also gives you info on Universal and IOA, as well as sea world.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Well I like the Disney 2002...yeah Kim Wright Wiley does the books...we have the one going with kids and we have one that is full of hints for adults...although I dont think there is much difference....both are a great read! The kids have the one "Disney for kids, by kids" and love that one as well...seems like every time we go we get the new guidebooks...I dont know if you will find the one by KWW where you are or not...we had to send it to friends in Jersey..the channel island...but I dont know if your area is bigger than that or not since I havent been to Europe~

Upvote 0

Mufasa_AC

Unofficial Guide, easily. The main reason is in the title. Being the “unofficial” guide means that nothing in it has to be blessed by Disney. They really tell it like it is without whitewashing anything. Disney World is my second home. I know it inside and out and I still buy the Unofficial Guide. I love the format and the reviews. I don’t always agree with them, especially the food reviews, but I just love their rating systems.

Upvote 0

WDWspider

I know I already posted, but I really need to add something. The Passporter is Unofficial as well, it has everything that that book has (as far as Disney is concerned), and then a lot more. Believe me, i have bought these books for years, the Passporter has been around for three years now. That's why most people don't know about it yet, but it has gone leaps and bounds beyond a mere guide book, it really has everything and then some when it comes to Disney. Everyone should check it out, it's fantastic. Unofficial is nice, but passporter IS better. I have tried both. If someone has tried both and feel that the unofficial is better, then we can see reasons why.

Upvote 0

mburk

Spider-Man you sold me! I have used The Unofficial Guide since our first trip in 1995, but if ---what am I saying?--- WHEN we go again I will buy the Passporter.

Upvote 0

tybroid59

I have the unofficial guide to disney by bob sehlinger.I ordered it online from WHSmiths.

It has one with and one without kids .

I have never been before but i have found this very helpful.

154 days to go :wave:

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

The Birnbaums guide is good but only gives you the positive side of everything. The Passporter book is really good and even better than for reading it is a true journal for all your plans.

No matter how much you know about the parks the guides are great because you WILL DEFINATELY learn something you did not know. The books tell you aboout some of the little secrets you wouldn't think of.

Upvote 0

SteveUK

If you go to amazon.co.uk and search for something like disney+travel, they have quite a few to choose from. Make sure you read the reviews first, you'll find that most have very similar info. Obviously the bigger the book, the higher the price and the more info you get. I stay away from official guides as they don't have any extra info, they just give a one-sided view of everything.

Upvote 0

Terp02

The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World is great. I buy it every time before I go just to see what he says about the new stuff. It gives information about everything, reader opinions, ratings, when to go and not to go, etc. You'll love it and it'll help you decide where to avoid and what not to avoid.

Upvote 0

Goofette

I have several Disney books but my favorite is "The Unofficial Guide 2002" also, although I will say that I tried to buy the Passporter, but they were all sold out at the bookstores and each time they got some in they sold out before I could buy one. I would personally liked to have both of these books.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom