Which dinners need reservations?

Happy-go-Lucky

Original Poster
We are going to WDW the first week of May. We're staying off-property (I know, yuck!!) but definitely want to catch some of the good restaurants for lunch and dinner. Does anyone know which ones we should get reservations for and which ones you can just go to that night and eat at w/o reservations? We also don't want to wait 2 hours with 3 young kids. I'm particularly looking at Jiko, Ohana, Le Cellier, Kona Cafe, and then also Liberty Tree, Chef Mickey's and possibly Mickey's Backyard BBQ. Some of these are shows and some are just restaurants, I think. Should we try to make reservations at any of these way ahead of time???

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Definately LeCellier, Ohana, Liberty Tree and Chef Mickey's. Mickey's Backyard BBQ must be made in advance and paid for in advance.

You can call 1-407-939-3463 to make these reservations.

Good Luck,

Pam

Vernonpush

I would say any sit down restaurant that you want to go to, it's best to have a reservation before you go. Especially if you don't want to wait.

Kaleigh

The only ones you listed that we have eaten at are Liberty Tree and Chef Mickeys, and I would say that you definitely need reservations at both. We always wait at least 10 minutes at Liberty Tree even with reservations.

bsandersjr

Unless you plan on eating dinner very late, or plan on eating counter service, I'd make reservations for each sit down meal you plan on eating. Like another poster stated, even with priority seating, there is still usually a wait.

Floridasunshine

Kingdom Konsultant said:
Definately LeCellier, Ohana, Liberty Tree and Chef Mickey's. Mickey's Backyard BBQ must be made in advance and paid for in advance.

I made reservations last week for both Chef Mickeys and LeCellier (for late March) and neither required prepayment and according to the CM, there is no penalty to cancel and did not require an actual cancellation. I also asked a different person the next day just to be sure ....

So I would say to make the reservations at all that do not require prepayment, and cancel later if you have to.

With so many people taking advantage of the dining plan I would make reservations for all table service restaurants. In the past I used to walk up to all restaurants with little or no problems getting a seat. My last trip was in early December, with the dining plan. Our arrival day was a Saturday and we visited MGM. At 4pm we couldn't get a table for two in any of the table service restaurants that day.

Don't be dissapointed, book the restaurants that you know you want to visit before you leave home and then plan your days around that. I didn't think that it would work for us, but we didn't find that our style was cramped too much. It was better than being dissapointed.

Tink

makonyy15

I agree, i'd be safe and call ahead everywhere. One note about Jiko though. The food there uses lots of spices, African, Middle-Eastern etc. so be prepared for that. If you like that type of food then great! However I did have an experience with a bad waitress there, but perhaps it was just a bad night for her, she just seemed uninterested in what her tables wanted, as if she was just there for the money. I suspect it was just a bad night, and the rest of the staff was friendly and helpful.

Just my opinion, and by no means should you base your reservations on me! The atmosphere is great and you should try it!

shmmrname

Your list looks good. My advice is to do what appeals to you, but make one 'risky' choice and hope it pays off.

We ate at Boma on our last trip and it ranks as one of the best meals I've ever eaten. Jiko will probably be next, as it was our first time in the AKL (just visiting from PO:FQ), but hopefully not our last!

In the MK the only truly great food I have had is at CRT, and it was the Major Domo. Though, make sure you get a Pineapple Float from Aloha Isle at some time too.

I cannot say enough how much of a shame it is that Restaurant Marrakesh isn't as popular as the other EPCOT options. It blows away many of them. Food-wise I have eaten nothing better in EPCOT, though I still am quite partial to the San Angel Inn's setting.

In MGM there are two choices (we have yet to do Brown Derby or Hollywood and Vine). 50's Primetime Diner is great if you like homestyle stuff. But, the surprise hit of our vacation was Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano. The flatbread pizza I had (just roasted tomatoes and cheese?) was incredible.

We usually just get Flametree BBQ at AK. It's good, but nothing to plan your day around.

One thing to consider is Beaches and Cream Soda Shoppe if you want something unique. It's a quick boat ride from EPCOT and it's usually way less crowded than your other options. You'll remember the Kitchen Sink!

Hope I helped...

Evan's Servants

Regarding the Prepayment: Your credit card number will be taken and charged for Hoop Dee Doo review and Mickey's Backyard BBQ unless you tell them you're on the meal plan. Even so, they will take your credit card number as a guarantee. If you don't cancel these and no-show, you will be charged a cancellation fee. I understand Cindy's is doing this as well...

disneygirl1024

Last year when we went to WDW, we had a reservation for Liberty Tree Tavern and still waited 10-15 minutes. It was worth it though. My kids thought Chip and Dale doing sommersaults in the restaurant was hilarious. Actually, it was.:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom