Where's The Love?

stitch2008

Original Poster
I disagree with most on this site. I dont think Universal is anywhere close to threatening Disney in any horrible way. But, I DO think SeaWorld is getting close to Disney. I think SeaWorld is the #2 destination in Orlando. Especially with Empire of Penguins. They have Shamu, great rides, pretty good shows, lots of animal interactions, Discovery Cove, and Aquatica. So I gotta ask the question. Where is the love for SeaWorld? :shrug:

Patch

Seaworld

Did an all Disney trip a couple of years ago, except for a day in Seaworld. Seaworld compared very well to Disney and my kids loved it. Next trip we included Discovery cove, Aquatica, and Busch Gardens and were very happy with the parks. Although I'd prefer Disney, I'd agree that the Seaworld group of parks compares very well.

stitch2008

Original Poster
Did an all Disney trip a couple of years ago, except for a day in Seaworld. Seaworld compared very well to Disney and my kids loved it. Next trip we included Discovery cove, Aquatica, and Busch Gardens and were very happy with the parks. Although I'd prefer Disney, I'd agree that the Seaworld group of parks compares very well.

I just think the place is great. Everytime I go I really enjoy it. The park is clean. The animals are always amazing. I have good experiences on the rides(including the best flying coaster). And the shows are good.

And they have a big new dark ride too. Yet it seems like all we wanna talk about it Potter Potter Potter. Gringotts mine coaster whatever. Doesn't Empire of Penguins look amazing? There's art out there for it. It just seems like SeaWorld is pushed aside all the time as kinda that other park in Orlando. And I don't understand why.

Journey_On

My first visit to SeaWorld was when I was about 4, and I've gone many times since then. I have always enjoyed the park, but since my recent visits last fall (and to Discovery Cove), I have become a much bigger fan.

SeaWorld is a wonderful theme park. Not only are they awesome at providing entertainment for guests, but they do so much for the animals, too, and it just warms my heart.

It's become one of my favorite theme parks. Oh, and Manta is one of the best roller coasters ever. :)

Bairstow

Oh, and Manta is one of the best roller coasters ever. :)

It's certainly the prettiest.

I went down for a big non-Disney trip to Orlando this past August and did both Univerals, Sea World, and Busch Gardens, and of the 4 Sea World was by far the best surprise.

As far as it rivaling Disney, I'd say just wait for the new stuff to open. The next 2 years are going to be Sea World's big attempt to be a world-leader in theme park attractions and if their concept art is any indication I think they're going to pull it off with room to spare.

The most interesting bit of news to me is this "Freshwater Oasis" combined water park/animal exhibit. I'd love to see what that's going to be like.

Freshee61

I can't wait to go this weekend to seaword orlando!! Just a lil bumbed about the no more free beer but they have great food and entertainment plus a great installment payment for annual pass that includes parking and some dining discounts. Can't wait!!! And I agree universal got nothing on Disney. They just got lucky for bidding on potter and the amount of potter fans(which I don't understand).

Pete C

SeaWorld is getting a lot of love actually. They just reported today that they set an attendance record in 2011:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...rld-parks-president-seaworld-orlando-aquatica

SeaWorld is a fantastic destination that has really gotten much better in just the last few years. They have had big capital investments since 2009 in Manta, Grand Reef (which is just incredible), and Aquatica. Then you have TurtleTrek and Freshwater Oasis to open this year and the massive Antarctica next year.

SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment's parks were probably run a bit better under Anheuser-Busch in the ride operations department. However, you would have never seen so many massive capital investments in such a short period under them. SeaWorld under Blackstone is really going big it seems. Perhaps it's just the competition forcing them, but either way I am happy to see them digging in their heels. Brian Morrow, the lead creative developer, has proven to be a really talented guy so I expect these new attractions to be great.

Busch Gardens is actually my favorite park in Central Florida. The animals at both of these parks is what makes them so dynamic. Every time you go you will see something different because you never know what the animals are going to do. The SeaWorld parks also have a more relaxed and classy atmosphere. It's just a different vibe from the in your face approach at Universal, and the you're happy right now approach at Disney.

BTW, Discovery Cove is awesome, and I mean that word literally...not like the way we throw it around in daily conversation. I just went for the first time a few weeks ago, and holy crap I love that place. I wish I could have waited for Freshwater Oasis, but we had to go now to take advantage of some discounted employee tickets we had access to.

Disneydreamer23

i do enjoy sea world but i do for a day and dont need to go back i can go tp disney for 2 weeks or more and universal 4 days and not be bored. I like sea world but have to say universal is number 2 not sea world

stitch2008

Original Poster
i do enjoy sea world but i do for a day and dont need to go back i can go tp disney for 2 weeks or more and universal 4 days and not be bored. I like sea world but have to say universal is number 2 not sea world

See I can spend 2 weeks at WDW and 3 days at SeaWorld(park, Aquatica, and Discovery Cove). But I can spend like a day or two at Universal. I use to love Universal. But I don't really like it anymore. The only reason I go anymore is cause my fiancee drags me there cause she has to see Potter. Potter is nice, but I(along with others in the industry) think its very overrated. It's a very very nice ride, but it's no "game changer". And this coming from someone who LOVED Universal for many years. I still have a program from the 90's and home videos of Dynamite Nights and Ghostbusters. For the record, I think Empire will be better then FJ IMO.

At SeaWorld there is just a magic when you walk in. There's something about the place that draws you in. I never get that at Universal. The animals, the scenery, the rides, the shows, the exhibits, everything. There is a wonder about it. Its a mix of the thrill rides and the natural world. Just something I think.

dave&di

I really enjoy Seaworld, although I'm not a fan of coasters so I think I only go on Journey to atlantic and wild artic! But I'm an animal lover so enjoy everything else.

ISTCrew20

At SeaWorld there is just a magic when you walk in. There's something about the place that draws you in. I never get that at Universal. The animals, the scenery, the rides, the shows, the exhibits, everything. There is a wonder about it. Its a mix of the thrill rides and the natural world. Just something I think.

That is something I could never put into words, but I feel the same way. "Disney Magic" isn't for everyone, but Seaworld has something everyone can relate to - nature...and the display of nature done in such a way that people never before interested would be while at the park. Not only does the park feel like a "park" -- a place you can explore at your own leisure, learn something new, and relax on a bench -- but it really is just a great experience all around. SeaWorld is "getting it" finally - with some world class attractions on the way, the launch into consumer products, and a social media strategy that outperforms Disney's, I think SeaWorld is a very strong contender to challenge the day 2 Disney parks in the future.

...but there are still some rough edges - "patented leather" purses on the shelf next to "saving a species" dvds, some bad park signage and verbiage, and some 'not great' employees are what set this park apart. Fix these minor issues and we can REALLY take the park seriously.

rustysgirl

put me down as being team seaworld. universal is ok for a day or 2, but especially with them getting rid of more & more classics, there isn't much else there that we like to do. i can think of at least 2 attractions they have closed down since our last visit.

seaworld on the other hand has the gorgeous animals & exhibits, fun shows (we love blue horizons & pets ahoy is adorable) & we really enjoy journey to atlantis. for us, its no comparison. =)

MarkandAmy

Love Sea World!

On our most recent visit to WDW, we scheduled a day for Sea World and did a penguin encounter. Watching my kids' faces light up as they held a puffin in their hands and gave a penguin (Leon) a hug was absolutely priceless. Sea World was supposed to be just a stop on our extended Disney trip, but it turned into one of the highlights! We can't wait to go back!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom