Where's the expansion room in DL?

Grizzly Hall 71

Original Poster
I heard that DL has a strawberry field near it that will be used for expansion. Can someone pinpoint exactly on a map for me?

Thanks.

TP2000

I heard that DL has a strawberry field near it that will be used for expansion. Can someone pinpoint exactly on a map for me?

Thanks.

It's no longer a strawberry field. It's now the 3,700 space Toy Story Parking Lot, directly adjacent to the 1,000 space Cast Member parking lot. It's surrounded by some additional vacant land that Disney also owns.

You can find the parking lots on any satellite map site by looking for the sprawling surface parking lots south of Katella Avenue, and east of Harbor Blvd., directly east of Convention Way.

Grizzly Hall 71

Original Poster
It's no longer a strawberry field. It's now the 3,700 space Toy Story Parking Lot, directly adjacent to the 1,000 space Cast Member parking lot. It's surrounded by some additional vacant land that Disney also owns.

You can find the parking lots on any satellite map site by looking for the sprawling surface parking lots south of Katella Avenue, and east of Harbor Blvd., directly east of Convention Way.
Thanks!

Are there plans for it to be developed further?

TP2000

Thanks!

Are there plans for it to be developed further?

There were 10 years ago. Disney even released an official website for it just prior to DCA's opening. But then DCA opened and really struggled in the marketplace, and both TDA and Burbank realized they had much work ahead of them to get DCA up to speed. So much work, in fact, that it ended the Disney careers of several prominent executives.

Around 2003 the third theme park website was taken down, and no one from Disney mentions it any longer.

They pretty much sealed the deal for the next decade by building the Toy Story surface parking lots there last year. There is so much work and money going into DCA now, and that's all anyone talks about in the local press and that's all Disney will comment on.

But in 2020? Maybe 2025? Perhaps the rumors will start popping again with what Disney plans to do with that big chunk of land. It's physically removed from the rest of the Resort, so it's going to take some creative thinking, that's for sure. The third theme park ideas in 2000 were shockingly uncreative at the time; water park, Winnie The Pooh land, Pixar land, etc.

Wilt Dasney

The third theme park ideas in 2000 were shockingly uncreative at the time; water park, Winnie The Pooh land, Pixar land, etc.
I'm sure it's probably off the table at this point, but I would love to see something similar to the Westcot plans be resurrected if a third park ever happens. The lack of a "serious" park with the grand and inspirational themes of Epcot is the most glaring deficiency (I might even argue the ONLY deficiency of any import) at DLR vis-à-vis WDW.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I'm sure it's probably off the table at this point, but I would love to see something similar to the Westcot plans be resurrected if a third park ever happens. The lack of a "serious" park with the grand and inspirational themes of Epcot is the most glaring deficiency (I might even argue the ONLY deficiency of any import) at DLR vis-à-vis WDW.

Ok smarty pants

JerrodDRagon

If we get a Westcot, why would WDW be needed any more?

But the we still have space in DL, over in fantasyland the old theater (now princess meet and greet) is a HUGE amount of space, along with destroying toontown we have enough room for a new land (they should keep Roger Rabbit)

cheezbat

If anything, Disneyland really only needs say, a waterpark. The two parks that currently exist at the Resort are both going to be pretty darn good by 2012. I already like California Adventure better than Animal Kingdom and almost more than Hollywood Studios at WDW. Why? More to do!

JerrodDRagon

^I guess but a new waterpark is being added to where the "Garden Grove" is right now (along with a new hotel)

So Disney kinda missed a chance to do the same thing but what can you do.

TP2000

^I guess but a new waterpark is being added to where the "Garden Grove" is right now (along with a new hotel)

So Disney kinda missed a chance to do the same thing but what can you do.

Garden Grove is the name of a city, south of Anaheim.

And there are already several large and well-established water parks in Orange County. Knott's has a pretty good one across the street from Knott's Berry Farm called Knott's Soak City. There's also Wild Rivers in Irvine and Raging Waters up in San Dimas. Water parks are for small kids and tourists though. By the time a local kid hits 12, they are out surfing in God's ultimate water park; the ocean.

If Disney built a water park on property, it would need to be like the Great Wolf Lodge going in down in Garden Grove; covered and protected from the elements. Otherwise, there are only about five months out of the year where it would be used extensively. All outdoor water parks in SoCal operate seasonally, and shut down completely for the winter by October. Disney wouldn't let its property go to waste like that, so a water park would need to be under a dome.

I'm thinking that Disney has figured out it has covered its water park bases by offering rather lavish pool facilities with a few water slides at all three hotels. Unless Great Wolf Lodge goes like gangbusters (which it won't), Disney already has its water park bases covered in Anaheim.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom