Where were you when you heard about the 9-11 attacks?

EmeraldDolphin

I had the day off, and I had gotten back from bringing my daughter to school. I was in the kitchen doing dishes, and my oldest son called me & told me he had heard something on the radio as he was driving, and for me to turn on the news & see what was going on. I turned on the t.v. while I was still talking with him on the phone, and saw the smoke from the first plane. We were still on the phone with each other, and I was watching the t.v. when the second plane hit. I don't ever remember ever feeling quite so helpless as I did that day. After the third plane hit the Pentagon, and then the fourth plane crashed in to the field in PA... I just wanted to get my kids from school, and have my husband & older son home from work... I needed us all to be together... I still get very emotional when thinking about the tragic events of the day.

SnowWhite5669

I was at work, I get in at 8:30AM, we got a call from my friend's husband and he told us to turn the TV on. We all saw the second plane go into the second tower. As everyone else, we thought the first was just an accident. Then we heard about the Pentagon and I called my friend in DC to make sure she was ok, she works near the pentagon and she had no clue what was happening. I work for state government so we were all told to go home and be with our families. The next days all run together and the tv was on non-stop. There was a man that was arrested on an amtrack train right behind my office and everyone thought he was one of the terrorists. He was arrested and later let go. I just wanted to be with my family for days and my husband was glued to the tv. I still can't believe that so many lives were lost. God bless all those people and their families.

tigsmom

My niece teaches in Virginia and she can see the Pentagon from her classroom. She told me all they did was stand & watch the fires. :(

My DH works in a hospital & is part of their trauma team. Everyone was on standby for cases to be flown up (the hosp is just outside of NYC), but of course there wern't many survivors.

Yesterday the local HS had a guest speaker...he is a 1975 grad & was one of the last men to be pulled out alive (and a friend of my DH). It was a voluntary assembly & they expected only about 200 kids to attend. They crammed almost 2,000 kids into a room made for just over 900. So many kids in this area were personally affected by 9/11 and they just had to be there.

I recently saw my neighbor who lost her husband that day (they have since moved) and I can't get over how much her son now looks & acts like his dad.

CrackerJack

I was off from work that day.

I turned on the TV while eating breakfast and saw that a plane had hit one of the towers of the WTC. I thought it odd that a plane couldn't avoid hitting the tower ... but accidents happen.

A short while later I saw the second plane hit. All rules were then thrown out of the window.

What an unbelievable tragedy. May God protect our land so that something like that never happens again ...

Lil'mermaid

tigsmom said:

Yesterday the local HS had a guest speaker...he is a 1975 grad & was one of the last men to be pulled out alive (and a friend of my DH). It was a voluntary assembly & they expected only about 200 kids to attend. They crammed almost 2,000 kids into a room made for just over 900. So many kids in this area were personally affected by 9/11 and they just had to be there.

We had (about) 2580 people in a gym and upper gym made to hold about half that in the bleachers. Kids were sitting on the floor in front of the bleachers. The doors were open and people were standing just outside so they could hear.

tigger248

KevinPage said:
Driving around on Suffolk County, Long Islad, NY, doing an automobile inspection at someone's house listening to Howard Stern.

Then on my way into the office (west bound) seeing police cars and such flyin by on the expressway into Manhatten. Very strange as Long Island feels very separate from New York City.

I had friend on my college program who was from Long Island and she said they could smell the burning smell from the building. Also that some ashes and debris made it all the way to her college campus. :(

Tigsmom said:
...but of course there wern't many survivors.

I noticed that then (as did many I'm sure). Some of the saddest scenes, besides footage of the sites themselves, was of the trioge (?sp) tents sitting empty. Of the immediate care centers, set up for 100's, with nobody. Part of the early indicators that there weren't gonna be many survivors. :(

BwanaBob

We were getting ready to head over to AK (staying at time-share across from I-drive on I-4 near Seaworld).

Had the tv on as background noise when someone said we all had better come over and 'look at this'...

We still tried to make it over to AK around 11:30ish... when we pretty much got the picture when we saw all the other cars headed in the other direction.

To this day, we have been at WDW each anniversary of 9/11. Not in a 'sick' way, mind you... More of a way in remembering what we were doing that day/vacation. Drives home the fact that WE are not letting what happened alter our lives by fear.

cindrelly31

9/11/01

I was talking to my cousin on the phone wishing her a happy birthday :D . She had the news on and said that all of a sudden the day was no longer her birthday becuase there was a terrible plance wreck. :cry: Then she told me about the second plane doing the same as the first. :cry: I hung up with her and went to the conference room at our office and turned the the telly. I began to cry and pray for the familes (God knew who they were).

(We now celebrate my cousin's birthday on the 12th)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom