Where to go for solo birthday dinner?

Nurse Minnie

I need your help! I am going to Disney 4/30-5/4 as a birthday present to myself. Lets just say that I'm over 21 but a loooong way from retirement. Where would you guys suggest for a solo birthday dinner? Thanks.

Goofette

Originally posted by Nurse Minnie
I need your help! I am going to Disney 4/30-5/4 as a birthday present to myself. Lets just say that I'm over 21 but a loooong way from retirement. Where would you guys suggest for a solo birthday dinner? Thanks.

Happy Birthday!!! What a wonderful Birthday Present. I'm sure wherever you go you will have a great time.

Upvote 0

raven

You have to treat yourself to a meal at the California Grill at the Contemporary Resort during the fireworks! You will love it!

Make Priority Seating now!

Upvote 0

Luau Cove

Mmm, no. California Grill is a romantic place, not a place to be alone, in my opinion.
I would go to Downtown Disney without even thinking. Choose any place where you see there's party going on, spend some time there dining and then head to Pleasure Island, where I'm sure you won't be lonely anymore!

-->LUAU

Upvote 0

cm1988

Originally posted by Nurse Minnie
...going to Disney 4/30-5/4 ...suggest for a solo birthday dinner?...
If you're lookiing for a quiet evening, pretty much any Epcot, Downtown Disney or Resort restaurant will do. Norway, France, and Canada first spring to mind. Or Mexico (inside, of course, for the occasion.)

If in a convivial mood, at Germany or Japan you are likely to be seated in proximity to one or more groups or other singles. In most cases, folks in a vacation mood will bring you into a conversation if spoken to.

Wishing you a happy --- and magical --- birthday!

Upvote 0

cm1988

Birthday and Beyond

Originally posted by fngoofy
DTD is the best idea...
Yeah, that seems to be the consensus... because of PI. Kungaloosh!

Now, how about that dinner?

House Of Blues has good Cajun food... for a casual dinner. I also like Wolfie's (Wolfgang Puck's) for California Contemporary... particularly the vegetarian Pad Thai. Or sometimes I'll get a nice seafood dinner (and good glass of wine) at the Fulton's Crabhouse bar... dining room is more formal... maybe better for groups. Portabello Yacht Club is also outstanding for Northern Italian cuisine... seating available on the patio or inside.

Well, Nurse Minnie has a few options, anyway.

The two I'd pass on are Bongos (bland for my taste) and Rainforest (too.... eclectic).

Have to admit I've never tried Planet Hollywood Orlando (done that in San Fran and London). Also haven't tried the restaurants in any of the nearby hotels (e.g. Hilton, Grosvenors, and Buena Vista Palace).

Getting away from the birthday dinner now... and rambling a bit about nearby restaurants...

Down at the Crossroads, very much enjoyed the "fresh mex" at Chevy's (a chain, but good stuff). Or mingle with the locals at Orlando Ale House over on Apopka-Vineland... a couple of blocks away. Very informal sports bar... excellent menu. Try the Cajun Mahi Mornay... fettucini noodles, cajun alfredo sauce (yeah, you heard me), 'shrooms, scallions, and grilled Mahi. To Die For. Or a blackened tuna sandwich for about 8 bucks that tastes like filet mignon... only tender and better for yoiu. Whatever... you'll find substantial portions, many tv's, many tap brews. There's about a half dozen Ale Houses in Orlando... all very good.

LBV has a slew of other upscale chain eateries... probably a dozen of them, all good.

Upvote 0

cm1988

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
I'd say Wolfgang Puck or House of Blues and then the ice cream shop for desert (There is no way I could spell it).
Ghiardelli's
Giardelli's

See? I know two ways to spell it. One or the other may even be correct.:p

Upvote 0

DisneyWorldGuru

Re: Birthday and Beyond

Originally posted by cm1988

...The two I'd pass on are Bongos (bland for my taste)...

You have to know what to order. Some Cuban food can be bland. Like I said you have to know what to order.

House of Blues is my other favorite DTD place.

Upvote 0

cm1988

Re: Re: Birthday and Beyond

Originally posted by DisneyWorldGuru

You have to know what to order. Some Cuban food can be bland. Like I said you have to know what to order...
I'm all ears... not to mention the four arms.

Do you know Bongo's menu... or could you suggest a particular Cuban food item for the insensitive palate (needing much spice) such as mine?

Upvote 0

DisneyWorldGuru

Re: Re: Re: Birthday and Beyond

Originally posted by cm1988

I'm all ears... not to mention the four arms.

Do you know Bongo's menu... or could you suggest a particular Cuban food item for the insensitive palate (needing much spice) such as mine?

Try a true Cuban meal-black beans, rice, plantains, pork chunks, and for desert try some flan. You can spice it up with many different things. This is what I get but if you like spiced things, don't worry they have them.

For more on WDW dining visit the Dining section
www.geocities.com/duquidam/dining.html

Upvote 0

Goofette

Originally posted by Luau Cove
Mmm, no. California Grill is a romantic place, not a place to be alone, in my opinion.
I would go to Downtown Disney without even thinking. Choose any place where you see there's party going on, spend some time there dining and then head to Pleasure Island, where I'm sure you won't be lonely anymore!

-->LUAU

I guess it depends on ones own personality. I personally think Raven suggestion of California Grill and fireworks sounds Terrific. Usually when I actually do have a night out to myself (which is Heaven to me, and probably is to a lot of other moms here too), I like something Quiet. And someplace that is romantic doesn't always mean it is only meant for couples. I like to treat myself to different experiences and that doesn't always mean the party scene.

PI sounds like it would be a great place if you're in the mood to "Party" but if you're in a mellow mood and want something more quiet I wouldn't disregard California Grill just because it was romantic.

Upvote 0

cm1988

Pass the habenero, please

Originally posted by DisneyWorldGuru
...true Cuban meal-black beans, rice, plantains, pork chunks, and for desert try some flan.... For more on WDW dining visit the Dining section www.geocities.com/duquidam/dining.html
Thanks for your note, guru. Rice, plantains and flan present a subtle palette of flavors to which I have perhaps not been attuned. Too many years of spicy chicken sandwiches or burgers with extra salt, extra catsup. Trying to eat more veggies now.

I'll give Bongo's another try... and see what the server suggests for a reformed devotee of "Mt. St. Helen's" wings.

Correcting my thread drift now...
On both previous visits to Bongo's it was a pleasant dining experience... particularly in terms of service and atmosphere... as one would hope for on a birthday dinner.

Upvote 0

Mr. Toad

I would also not write off the California Grill. I've eaten there twice. The first time it was just me and my wife and it was very romantic. We had a great time. The second time was with my wife and my parents. We also had a great time but it was not romantic. I think it all depends on your frame of mind.

That being said I would also think about the Japanese restaurant in EPCOT. In the past when we have eaten there we have met people at our table that were by themselves and got into conversations with them. It was a lot of fun but it really depends on the people that are sitting near you.

Good luck and have a happy birthday.

Upvote 0

Cosmo

it all depend on what kind of food you like. I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you go. If you want company for dinner, let me know, i'd be happy to meet you!:D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom