Where to get started?

MommaToL&E

I am feeling overwhelmed! What is the best place for a complete newbie to learn everything she needs to know before booking and planning a trip?

MommaToL&E

Original Poster
You have come to the right place! What kind of questions do you have?

Thanks! I literally know nothing about planning a Disney trip! I went once when I was in 5th grade, and that's my complete experience. I hear so many people talking about packages, fast passes, line hopping, etc. Is there something like a WDW 101 that I can read? Maybe something that will lay it all out for me and make money and time saving suggestions?

Upvote 0

Mainahman

One thing ive used in the past is the mousesaver newsletter. When i was learning and such, i used that alot, and i still use it too. Are you looking to stay on campus or off site?

Upvote 0

MommaToL&E

Original Poster
I will look into that! Thanks! I think we are planning to stay on site, mostly for the convenience factor.

We are also trying to decide if this is even the right time to go. We have two very young kids. One will be 3 in June and the other is 3.5 months now. The thought was to go while they're both free, then go again when they're older. I know my oldest would love it. Obviously the baby couldn't care less!

Upvote 0

Mainahman

viewing the wonder of disney through a childs eyes has got to be the best drug on the planet. theres a variety of options to meet every budget. We Stay at POP! century because we dont spend much time at the resorts, and rather have the money to do other items in the parks. did you have a resort or time of year in mind?

Upvote 0

MommaToL&E

Original Poster
We are, unfortunately, considering June. My son turns 3 at the end of June, so we'd like to go when he's still free. And we don't want to go much earlier because we really want him to get to see Toy Story Land. Toy Story is his favorite! It seems unlikely that it will be open in early May or we would go then! And no idea on the resort. I told you I was a complete newbie!!

Upvote 0

yensid67

Hey Momma, like others said, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE FOR ALL THE HELP YOU NEED!
If we know more information, we can help you better. Answer these and you will get all the info you need:
#1 What are the DATES you are traveling!?
#2 How many days in each park?
#3 Do you HAVE TO stay on property in a Disney hotel or are you open to staying off property?
#4 Will you have a rental car?
#5 Do you want to do other things outside of the Parks(International Drive, Dinner Shows, etc)
#6 what is your mode of transportation? (Flying, driving)
#7 Where are you coming from? (where do you live)
If you answer these questions, that will give us a better understanding in what direction to send you!

Mousesaver is a great place to find out some info. I see you want to go in June with a 3 yr old and 3.5 month old. I would say wait a few years until the 3.5 month old is 3 and the 3 yr old is 6 or 7. That will best way for you to save money, too. The 3.5 month old isn't going to remember anything, so you will most likely have to take them again before they are older(fair is fair LOL) I would wait a few years and have the time to save the money you will need! A 'few years' would be 2021, just in time for the 50th Anniversary of WDW! That will be very crowded I am assuming! I would go year before in 2020 or 2022, 2020 Star Wars MIGHT be open! 2022 the crowds should have calmed down. You stated you want to stay on property, but if you have a rental car and would like to save some money, The Clarion Inn Lake Buena Vista(clarionlbv.com) is a 3 star hotel that is VERY NICE! I got 8 days with Hot Breakfast Buffet each morning for $528 and Rental Car through AVIS for $242.50 .
There are a lot that can help you but we would need to know more info in order to help!

Upvote 0

docdebbi

there is an entire section on this website called "info", it is very helpful. good place to start. will introduce you to the four parks and what rides and attractions are in each, what dining is available in each. go from there, and as said above, don't be afraid to ask us questions

Upvote 0

Starlight67

It's exciting to be planning your first (almost) trip to Disneyworld with your children. You will find that the World has changed quite a bit since your fifth grade trip!

Already some great websites for you to check out have been mentioned. Not sure if any of the below will be helpful to you, but just some thoughts as you embark on your planning.

--As you plan the trip it's easy to get overwhelmed. It's easy to feel stressed and to feel like you MUST see everything. This way of thinking can be the undoing of a vacation. Just my opinion but I find it's far better to take it slow and relaxed, set up a few fast passes per day, and not get weighed down by having to make table service dining reservations. Rarely does a day at Disney go exactly the way you plan. You have to be willing to veer of course a bit and be okay with it! After all, this won't be the last time you will visit the parks...anything you miss this trip you can prioritize for next time :).

--Unless you are driving, my advice is the best way to go is to stay on property. Value resorts on site are a less expensive option. Staying on site you are able to use Disney's Magical Express transportation (a bus) to and from airport (included with reservation.) And while there you can use Disney's internal transportation (buses, boats, monorail).

--Everything is connected to a colorful bracelet called a Magicband that is provided when you make a reservation at an on property hotel. The band holds your park tickets, it's your room key, it is the way you pay for meals if on a dining plan. All you do is scan the ban. There's nothing to have to carry around anymore. Everyone in your family will get one.

--A 'parkhopper' pass is a ticket that allows you to move between parks each day (as opposed to a ticket for a single park per day.) A 'fast pass' is the term for Disney's line jumping for attractions. A fastpass gives you an hour long window to go to that attraction and jump the line. Everything about your trip can be to be set up on the 'My Disney Experience' website, as well as on the Disneyworld app. You can set up fast passes weeks in advance of your trip, right on the app. You are able to set up three fast passes for a single park per day.

--There are a couple dining plans available. These may (or may not) be advantageous to your family, you can check out some of the pros and cons reading through discussion threads etc. I always bring my own snacks there. I pack a couple of 10 packs of drink boxes in my suitcase, as well as granola bars etc. It makes the suitcase heavy, but it's worth it to me. Everything is expensive at Disney!

--There is nothing wrong with going 'old school' on the trip planning and visiting a travel agent that specializes in Disneyworld vacations. :)

Happy planning and enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom