Where to find DVC owners with great reviews

Gramma4

Original Poster
I have rented from DVC rental store in the past and I am very happy with their service.. I am looking at saving a bit more money this time around..
if your a member and want to rent points, where would you rent them through ? and broker or on your own? Where can I find legit sites to do research on dvc members ? A place to see multiple owners maybe so I can pick from there?, I am so nervous about just contacting some random person..

nickys

Premium Member
Both the DIS and Mouseowners have a dedicated rental board.

The DIS I think charge for new members to post, I’m not a member there so not entirely sure. Mouseowners is free to join but make sure you read the rules for posting. MO also give you ways to validate an owner, I assume the DIS does too. Another key point though (in addition to the obvious) is to make sure the person you rent from has a track record of posting on the forum in question, not just the rental board. Are they genuine contributors to the boards in question?

There are people here who rent, but again check out their regular posting history.

FCivish3

I have rented from DVC rental store in the past and I am very happy with their service.. I am looking at saving a bit more money this time around..
if your a member and want to rent points, where would you rent them through ? and broker or on your own? Where can I find legit sites to do research on dvc members ? A place to see multiple owners maybe so I can pick from there?, I am so nervous about just contacting some random person..

As far as I know no one has a list of 'Recommended Owners to Rent From.' To do that, they would need to be vouching for those owners somewhat, and there is a risk in that. And for privacy reasons, the various boards probably don't want to allow posters to post about other posters.

I recommend you go to one of the established, well known websites that have 'Rental Boards' such as

OR,
or,
or

I would be extremely cautious with any owner who contacts YOU first, and instead, I would look for owners who rent on those boards. By clicking on their names you can private message them. Or if they have a thread posted to rent something, you can go on there and publicly ask if they have anything available for such and such date.

Next, I would search their name on the board and go read their posts. Make sure t.hey are a real poster who is actively involved in the board community and that they are actually posting semi-regularly in ways that contribute.

If they are going to do business with you, they should be willing to provide you with their Name, Mailing Address, Email address, Phone Number and similar info. After all, they are going to ask for this from you. If they aren't willing to give their in return, I would be very cautious.

Then I would go online and google their street address and phone numbers to make sure they are real and appear on the up and up.

Finally, I would go on the Orange County Comptrollers website and see if they are listed as owners of any DVC property. this is not hard to do.

* Go to this website:
https://or.occompt.com/recorder/web/login.jsp

* At the top of this page it might say "Disclaimer" and have LOG IN information and it might even say you need to be logged in to access things. BUT THIS IS NOT TRUE. When you get there, you DO NOT need a 'membership' or to to sign up for anything.

* Simply click on the button in the bottom of the page that says I ACKNOWLEDGE and it will take you to the search page.

* On the search page go to the Blue Box that says GRANTEE and in the box below it, type in the last name and the first name of the OWNER that you are trying to verify. If that doesn't work, experiment around a little bit. If it does not bring up a listing for at least one deed in their name, then I would proceed with EXTREME CAUTION. Including perhaps asking them why they are not listed on the Comptrollers website. I would be very cautious about explanations such as, "Well, I'm actually doing it for my mother or my brother." If they say that, then at the least, I would ask them for the name of their mother or brother and verify that.

If you take all these steps, you should be pretty safe in finding someone to rent from. There ARE scammers out there. They are few and far between, but real. Most scammers play on greed, like giving you a price that is just too good to be true. And they don't want to go through all the steps above, since it it too much work. Once you have selected someone, you might also ask if they have any references.

I hope this helps. Look for Owners who post who have rented before. Their previous rental post will actually still be on the board, even if it says CLOSED, and you can access previous rental posts IF they have saved the Web Address of their previous rental posts (I recommend ALL owners who rent create a file to save the Web Addresses of their previous posts, so they can show these to people.)

I have rented numerous times. I would be glad to answer questions for anyone BUT I AM NOT LOOKING TO RENT ANYTHING OUT RIGHT NOW. I have actually used up all my points for the coming year, for now, and probably won't be out to rent anything for at least a year. So please do not contact me to see if I can rent something. But I am willing to answer questions.

Last edited:

EOD K9

I've rented to people here who have had good track records posting. I have usally rented at a dollar less per point or so compared to the middle man sites. That being said though, I had over 100 points left over and they found me a renter fairly quickly. We shall see how it works once I get paid.

eliza61nyc

I have rented from DVC rental store in the past and I am very happy with their service.. I am looking at savinIg a bit more money this time around..
So I rented a number of times even as an owner. I always used davids dvc rental and been very happy with them. No way would I contact or broker a deal independently, I just like the security of using a broker.

Usually I pick the resort I want to stay at and then go from there. Just curious what type of research do you want to do on the members?

Gramma4

Original Poster
So I rented a number of times even as an owner. I always used davids dvc rental and been very happy with them. No way would I contact or broker a deal independently, I just like the security of using a broker.

Usually I pick the resort I want to stay at and then go from there. Just curious what type of research do you want to do on the members?
how many times they have posted on the sites, how many rentals have they done, reviews if any, are they new and only post about renting, nothing personal of course, all professional.. Sorry if it sounded that way

eliza61nyc

how many times they have posted on the sites, how many rentals have they done, reviews if any, are they new and only post about renting, nothing personal of course, all professional.. Sorry if it sounded that way
awesome. totally understandable. so I'll second wdwinfo.com. they have an entire rental board.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom