Where the Magic Lives?

Michael72688

Original Poster
I have a question about Disney's latest promo campaign. I read in Orlando Sentinel that Disney started the Where the Magic Lives right after the 100 YoM ended, and that the castmember name tags weren't going to be arriving untill May. How bout Disney increase the park hours and stop making new name tags for 40,000 people every other year? And I thought that it was just going to be commercials nothing a the parks, is there anything special going on at the parks?

JTinCT

The "Where magic lives" campaign, is exactly that... a campaign. its hopes to boost guest numbers at the parks. the reason they're changing the nametags is to keep the campaign running in the parks, so when the guests come to florida they see something familiar... the original idea that brought them tehre.. thats also why they're changing merchandise....

CAPTAIN HOOK

I tend to agree...............in the current climate when Disney is cutting hours they should be more responsible and save the money on replacement tags.
I also agree that there needs to be themes or promotions within the parks and, although Disney doesn't need a heavy marketing campaign to promote the parks, some advertising is necessary - this money could also be better spent.
The message that this puts out is simply - "We've got your money from the ticket sales, now we're going to cut short you're enjoyment of the parks by cutting the hours because we can't afford to pay the staff to keep them open, however we will give them all nice new name tags to match the parks theming."

figmentmom

Originally posted by tigsmom
I agree. For me the magic has ALWAYS lived at Disney!

I agree absolutely! However, Disney may not need to advertise to those of us who are already die-hard Disney returnees, but there are lots of folks out there who have yet to sample the magic - hence the ever-changing advertising campaigns.:)

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by tigsmom
I love to convert non believers! This aunt ALWAYS gives Disney stuff to the little ones.

...and this brother, son, cousin, godfather...always gives Disney World Christmas gifts :)

MouseMadness

There has only been on year... One Year!.. that we have gone and there was no special "celebration." And, I'm sure not coincidentally, that was our best year as far as no horrific lines, waits, and crowds. So it works for them, or they wouldn't keep doing it. Just think, those name tags that need to be replaced for this "campaign" mean more guests as result of the campaign, it is totally going to be worth their time.

Mission: SPACE

If I remember correctly, and I should since I have 'lived' at WDW since I was a baby, they do not normally change the name tags to coordinate with the campaigns... 100 YoM was just a 'special' event that they tended to promote more than others.

WDW John

Don't Worry

I seriously don't think we need to worry about the cost of name tags. I did a Google search for "name tags, plastic" went to the first site I found and got a price of $1.45 per tag for orders of 50,000. That comes to $72,500. How long do you think it takes WDW to earn that? And I would imagine they could get a better price. (By the way that was for Plastic 4 color tags)

Considering that the cost of Mission:Space is over $100 million, $72,500 is a drop in the bucket, and it's probably a tax write-off.

Woody13

Re: Don't Worry

Originally posted by WDW John
I seriously don't think we need to worry about the cost of name tags. I did a Google search for "name tags, plastic" went to the first site I found and got a price of $1.45 per tag for orders of 50,000. That comes to $72,500. How long do you think it takes WDW to earn that? And I would imagine they could get a better price. (By the way that was for Plastic 4 color tags)

Considering that the cost of Mission:Space is over $100 million, $72,500 is a drop in the bucket, and it's probably a tax write-off.

Right on! Even the "bean counters" don't worry about name tags. Then again, in the interest of the first poster, maybe WDW should just issue generic name tags that say, "Hi, My Name Is:". Then they could take a regular Rotex label maker and print out the employee name and stick it onto the tag. That would save lots of money! *Note to self; contact Disney with this idea...*

wild01ride

Seriously- $70 grand compared to months of extended park hours? They would probably spend $70 grand in a day or two on extending park hours with payroll, electricity, additional shows, etc, etc.
Think about it this way, there's a reason that companies will spend $3 million a minute or whatever during the Superbowl for advertising- because marketing done right is what brings in the real money.
So, for eveyone concerned about the nametag $, just let them proceed with their campaign (I happen to love the slogan, commercials and the feeling that they evoke in me!) and let the campaign bring in the people (and hence extend the park hours for us all :D )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom