Where should I create my next Disney Resort?

Where Should I create my next Disney Park?

• Canada

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • United States - tell me what location

• Brazil

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Spain

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Russia

• Australia

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • India

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Egypt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Greece

• Mexico

• Total voters

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
I already did an imagineering exercise for the Midwest region of the United States. I don't know if that would help for picking for my next location for a creating a Disney resort. The results will determine what my next 3 Disney Resort creations will be.

I am aware of the problems in Russia and Egypt, but I do have some ideas for those two spots like having a Spinx with Mickey Mouse Ears as a landmark for Disneyland Egypt.

TheKarnivalKid

Personally, Australia would be the ideal option. It is a first world country with a good population. It also has lots of available land for a resort. I also think that Greece, Spain, and Canada would be good (though North America may have enough as it is). I would stay away from countries like Brazil and India (nothing says vacation like vaccines and shots!). I hope I get to see some ideas for this resort in the near future!

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
Personally, Australia would be the ideal option. It is a first world country with a good population. It also has lots of available land for a resort. I also think that Greece, Spain, and Canada would be good (though North America may have enough as it is). I would stay away from countries like Brazil and India (nothing says vacation like vaccines and shots!). I hope I get to see some ideas for this resort in the near future!
Thanks for you opinion.

I'll be starting to post my ideas for my next resort after the 1st week of January. I want to get this poll some time before I start.

JoseLorenzo

Canada:
-Pros: it is good country, good economy, good people, big population.
-Cons: it is located in North America where there are already parks, and also it could be really cold.

United States:
-Pros: it is a big country with high economy.
-Cons: there already parks in USA.
(If you had to pick a location I would say in the north where it is not so cold).

Brazil:
-Pros: beautifull place to visit, big population, you could also buy a very huge place for little money.
-Cons: lots of poverty and diseases.

Spain:
-Pros: internationally known country, there is lots of tourism, it is a beautifull place to visit, good people.
-Cons: it is having a hard time with their economy, there' already one park next to Spain in France.

Russia:
-Pros: good economy, lots of people, there's no other park close.
-Cons: it is not in agreement with USA, it could be cold in some parts, total different country.
(I would say that making a park in Russia it's almost impossible because all of the differences between USA and Russia).

Australia:
-Pros: steady economy, nice people, nice place.
-Cons: could be really expensive to travel there, sometimes the weather can be really hot, and Australia's government is not very open.

India:
-Pros: lots of population
-Cons: lots of poverty, not much tourism.

Egypt:
-Pros: there's lots of archeological places around.
-Cons: violent country, poverty, and very bad weather.

Greece:
-Pros: very known country, beautifull culture.
-Cons: it's having a lot of problems with economy, lots of corruption, it is also somewhat near to France.
(Greece it's pretty much like Spain).

Mexico:
-Pros: lots of touristic places like Cancún and Acapulco.
-Cons: violent country, there's so much corruption around too.

This is my perception and it is probably wrong.
Please don't let us choose for you, you have to make the decision.

I don't think Australia is a very good idea at all. There's only (correct me if I'm wrong) 20-25 million people there. It does have a decent tourism industry, but it is remote, inaccessible, and mostly based on natural landscapes. I also don't believe that there is a current demand. Australians do not make up a large percentage of people travelling abroad to Disney parks.

One place that might be suitable, despite its proximity to Paris, is Poland, perhaps in the south, near Krakow. It is a relatively moderate climate, with colder winters but warm summers. It is a very economically stable country. The Eastern European market is relatively untouched, as mostly Spaniards, Brits, Germans and Italians visit Paris. I also think that, despite some government instability, Mexico is still a good choice.

JoseLorenzo

One place that might be suitable, despite its proximity to Paris, is Poland, perhaps in the south, near Krakow. It is a relatively moderate climate, with colder winters but warm summers. It is a very economically stable country. The Eastern European market is relatively untouched, as mostly Spaniards, Brits, Germans and Italians visit Paris. I also think that, despite some government instability, Mexico is still a good choice.
I know Mexico really well, and I can tell you it's not a good idea. The Poland idea sounds great though

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
Canada:
-Pros: it is good country, good economy, good people, big population.
-Cons: it is located in North America where there are already parks, and also it could be really cold.
Cold isn't a true issue because that can actually be worked around based. I am going by Walt Disney's Riverfront Square. Walt worked on this concept before he started to buy land in Florida.

Riverfront Square was supposed to be an indoor Disney theme park in St Louis that was going to be a 5 story building before Walt Disney decided to scrap the idea with it taking up 2 blocks. The Top Floor of the building would have served as a banquet hall, restaurant, lounge, and bar, overlooking the Mississippi River.

At the time the idea was scrapped in July of 1965, it was going to cost 40 million dollars.

My indoor Disney Midwest resort idea was influenced by Walt and his imagineers idea of an indoor theme park, but I did on a much bigger scale in terms of land.

The other thing is I looked up indoor theme parks and it included Galaxyland. Galaxyland is located inside West Edmonton mall that has 26 attraction.

What I would be thinking if I did Canada is creating an indoor theme park that isn't part of a mall although Canada isn't my priority at this time.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
You don't mind putting your idea in Quebec Canada since I already got Toronto Canada?
I don't mind at all, but I am looking at doing an Australia Disney theme park though.

I do have something in my mind for Quebec that would be different enough from your Toronto park.

I only quoted the post on Canada from JoseLorenzo because one of his con's is the cold since weather is something that can solved be doing an indoor them to point when it comes to an area being too cold or too hot.

Last edited:
I still think Australia is not a logical choice. Small population, low demand, etc. Singapore could be a better option in a nearby geographic region. Lots of people in Malaysia and Indonesia, but also from Thailand and India. Some say East Asia is over saturated with parks, but they forget that it is oversaturated with people.

TheKarnivalKid

The fact that there are lots of people in India or Indonesia does not matter. I feel that of the billions of people that live in India, only a small fraction could afford a Disney vacation. However, Australia is a wealthier country with a greater fraction of people that would visit a Disney park. Also, if a resort is unique, people from the entire world will come. Even if someone lives in Orlando or Los Angeles, they may still travel to a foreign park if it provides something different enough from what the states can offer. I do understand that many people live in East Asia, but, not all of them go to a Disney park. Hong Kong is in a highly populated area (and easily accessible to other highly populated areas) yet it is one of Disney's least attended parks. This why I would still strongly push for an Australia park. Once again, I can't wait to hear your ideas because everyone has such a unique way of making their own theme parks.

JoseLorenzo

I don't mind at all, but I am looking at doing an Australia Disney theme park though.

I do have something in my mind for Quebec that would be different enough from your Toronto park.

I only quoted the post on Canada from JoseLorenzo because one of his con's is the cold since weather is something that can solved be doing an indoor them to point when it comes to an area being too cold or too hot.

Please don't take my idea's to seriously please. Since I'm probably wrong with everything I said. And indoor theme park sounds great.
-Pros: Protects you against bad weather (cold, hurricanes, snow, etc). It is different from most theme parks which is actually really good.
-Cons: Can cost more to build it, and once you've done the whole infraestructure there's no room for expansions.

But yeah keep working on that idea. Remember that in Disneyworld "A good idea never dies" :)

The fact that there are lots of people in India or Indonesia does not matter. I feel that of the billions of people that live in India, only a small fraction could afford a Disney vacation. However, Australia is a wealthier country with a greater fraction of people that would visit a Disney park. Also, if a resort is unique, people from the entire world will come. Even if someone lives in Orlando or Los Angeles, they may still travel to a foreign park if it provides something different enough from what the states can offer. I do understand that many people live in East Asia, but, not all of them go to a Disney park. Hong Kong is in a highly populated area (and easily accessible to other highly populated areas) yet it is one of Disney's least attended parks. This why I would still strongly push for an Australia park. Once again, I can't wait to hear your ideas because everyone has such a unique way of making their own theme parks.

You are correct that "only a small fraction could afford a Disney vacation"-- the middle- and upper-class population of India is only about 4% of its total population. However, that equates to over 267 million people, almost 12 times that of Australia's entire population. Indonesia has over 100 million middle- and upper-class citizens, and the ASEAN region has a growing middle class. There are more middle-class and affluent people in the region around Singapore than there are in Australia. Australia is more remote, less centralized, and less populated. All in all, more wealthy people would have access to a Singapore park than an Australia park.

Singapore is a very English-friendly country (it is one of the official languages) and is a world leader in commerce. I believe that, in real life, an Australian park is simply not sustainable. You mentioned that international travelers may come to an Australia park. Why would an international traveler not visit a Singapore park? Moreover, Tokyo Disneyland receives very little international travel, and is still extremely popular because of its great demand. And speaking of demand, more international visitors to Disney parks are from Asian countries than any other region, despite two (soon to be three) parks in the region. Australians are less likely to visit foreign parks now, so why would they visit a domestic park?

A similar example is the failure of Disneyland Paris initially: one of the many factors that led to its financial woes was a lack of interest in the park. In Tokyo, Japanese tourists had been visiting Disneyland consistently, and in large numbers, for many years. Europeans, however, had less interest in a Disney vacation. Therefore, Tokyo prospered, while Paris floundered. More Southeast Asians visit foreign parks than Australians.

I'm sorry if I sound aggressive, and, remember its your park, and this isn't real life, so it doesn't have to be realistic. I just wanted to put in my opinion. Good luck with your park!

TheKarnivalKid

First off, I would just like to mention the sentence where you say “the middle- and upper-class population of India is only about 4% of its total population. However, that equates to over 267 million people…”. This is false statement. There may be 267 million people in the middle and upper class, but if that was 4% of the total population, India’s total population would be over 6 and a half billion.

I do understand that Australia does have some issues (really its the population, or the lack of one) but you seem to forget or look over Indonesia’s numerous issues. You do say Singapore a lot but I do hope you mean Indonesia, or much of your argument would not make any sense. Indonesia has a large population (250+ million) while Singapore barely has 5 million, rendering your population problem argument invalid. So while I comment on the problems about the location of an Indonesia resort, I am talking about Indonesia, not Singapore.

Issue 1: Indonesia is spread out among many islands, which is common knowledge. Of the 922 inhabited islands, there are probably a good amount that have substantial populations. So my question is, are you planning on selecting the most populous metropolitan area and plopping it there? It is very hard to find a location that is easily accessible to all 250+ million people who live in Indonesia. You could say that they are connected to a series of boats or planes, but that may seem like a long and unnecessary process that eliminates a good portion of the very important day visitors. This is more of a convenience issue but it is an issue nonetheless.

Issue 2: When you leave a Disney resort, it is nice to be in a nice city. Lets look at Tokyo for example. When you leave the Tokyo Disney Resort, you are in a bustling and prosperous city that is safe, clean, and well run. Indonesia is almost the exact opposite. Imagine a “city” of loose shacks and poverty. A place where monkeys rule the streets and people can be seen diving through heavy traffic. One of your arguments was that people from around the world would still visit an Indonesia theme park. I don’t many people that would willingly leave a developed nation to come to Indonesia, even if they spend most or all of their time in the resort. It would be a quite a shock for someone coming from a wealthier nation.

Issue 3:Singapore’s culture is highly conservative. Visitors will need to adjust to local customs where the society is mainly Muslim. Women are under strict laws that limit what women can wear or what they can do. That doesn't seem like a very enjoyable vacation to me. Also, bribery and corruption are rife, so it is not uncommon to be stopped by police at random.

Issue 4: In Indonesia’s metropolitan areas, it is not uncommon to see overcrowding and traffic congestion. This may be an issue carried into a disney park, as there is one resort for a nation of 250 million people. I imagine New Year’s level crowds all the time, or the lines for Tokyo’s TSMM for all the rides. This may be an extreme mindset, but still, it is a possibility. Cities in Indonesia are dense and it is hard to get around easily. Space is limited near cities and getting there is a nightmare. People use roads daily and millions of people use them everyday. Traffic jams are normal and routine and pollution fills the air. Buses are stuffed to the brim and there aren’t subways to transport port commuters.

Issue 5: The weather in Indonesia is not ideal. With humid levels ranging from 70 to 90 percent, it can get quite unpleasant. It may take a while to get used to, which many vacationers don’t have. Temperatures are in the 80’s and 90’s most of the year and do not provide a relaxing vacation. Also, guests are either in a miserable rainy season from November to March or an unbearable dry season from April to October.

I still firmly stand by my opinion that Australia is an ideal location for a Disney resort and Indonesia is far from ideal. I don’t mean to sound belligerent but I do have a strong opinion on the matter. Wdwfan4ever, I still can't wait to hear your ideas and what you plan to do to set your theme parks apart!

Tivo

Spain! España!

I think a Spanish park would be ideal! The climate is wonderful and the nation already attracts tourists. The nation is also well connected to the rest of the world and the cities of Madrid and Barcelona are some of the most beautiful in the world!

This is also my first post here! I am very excited to be here.

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
Wdwfan4ever, I still can't wait to hear your ideas and what you plan to do to set your theme parks apart!
I almost have one park almost done. It is called Disney's SCI-FI Park. Here is the landmark:
DSI_hdapproach.png

What I don't have done for Disney's SCI-FI Park is a list of Christmas Songs that Jubba's Palace Sit Down dining attraction will be playing while the guest is eating. Jubba's Palace Sit Down attraction actually has AA's that includes Max Rebo Band and Sy Snoodles. The Christmas Music would be played during December by the Max Rebo Band and Sy Snoodles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom