Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Sweetest Day Vintage GIF by Clio Awards

PUSH

Original Poster
There was an active shooter at a middle school about 20 minutes away from my school today. Thankfully, the only person who was injured was the suspect. The shooter was not able to get in the school.

A lot of people I work with live in the city and have kids who go to school there. A former teammate works there.

There were kids who were outside for PE, who fled to nearby businesses.

My kids were out at recess when it happened, so we called everyone in. They didn't know why. Some second graders that I had last year asked me shortly after during lunch why we came in. I lied and said I wasn't sure, I just heard the announcement like they did. They're smart enough to know something happened. It was an awful feeling.

A coworker has a niece and nephew who were in the middle school. She was sharing some things with me, including how her niece texted her mom, "Active shooter. I love you."

The kids who were inside are still locked down in their schools. The reunification process is just beginning now.

It was a tough day for myself to process it. I can't imagine being those who actually lived it. I imagined it being my students and the kids I love. My heart breaks just thinking about it.

I made sure to tell my students I love them as they were leaving today, and I checked in with my former teammate who works in the district.

But through everything, I'm so thankful everyone is safe.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
There was an active shooter at a middle school about 20 minutes away from my school today. Thankfully, the only person who was injured was the suspect. The shooter was not able to get in the school.

A lot of people I work with live in the city and have kids who go to school there. A former teammate works there.

My kids were out at recess when it happened, so we called everyone in. They didn't know why. Some second graders that I had last year asked me shortly after during lunch why we came in. I lied and said I wasn't sure, I just heard the announcement like they did. They're smart enough to know something happened. It was an awful feeling.

A coworker has a niece and nephew who were in the middle school. She was sharing some things with me, including how her niece texted her mom, "Active shooter. I love you."

The kids who were inside are still locked down in their schools. The reunification process is just beginning now.

It was a tough day for myself to process it. I can't imagine being those who actually lived it. I imagined it being my students and the kids I love. My heart breaks just thinking about it.

I made sure to tell my students I love them as they were leaving today, and I checked in with my former teammate who works in the district.

But through everything, I'm so thankful everyone is safe.

So sorry to hear this. What a nightmare.🙁

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I honestly thought about @PUSH and @ajrwdwgirl when I saw the shooter story yesterday. While glad neither of your schools were involved a very scary and traumatizing situation, nonetheless.
Thank you for thinking about me. Luckily I live further north than that so I wasn’t close. Strangely though around the time it happened my student teacher and I were talking about what to do if that shooting event would occur where we are teaching.

trr1

NATIONAL MONTANA DAY | May 3
SCHOOL LUNCH HERO DAY | First Friday in May
NATIONAL TEXTILES DAY - MAY 3
National SAN Architect Day | May 3
NATIONAL RASPBERRY POPOVER DAY | May 3
NATIONAL CHOCOLATE CUSTARD DAY - May 3
NATIONAL PARANORMAL DAY - May 3
NATIONAL TWO DIFFERENT COLORED SHOES DAY - May 3
NATIONAL SPECIALLY-ABLED PETS DAY - May 3
NATIONAL GARDEN MEDITATION DAY - May 3
NATIONAL LUMPY RUG DAY - May 3
NATIONAL SPACE DAY | First Friday in May

NATIONAL PLAY OUTSIDE DAY | First Saturday of Every Month
NATIONAL SELF-EMPLOYED DAY | May 4
NATIONAL FITNESS DAY | First Saturday in May
KENTUCKY DERBY | First Saturday in May
FREE COMIC BOOK DAY | First Saturday in May
NATIONAL BOMBSHELLS' DAY | First Saturday In May
NATIONAL START SEEING MONARCHS DAY | First Saturday In May
BIRD DAY | May 4
NATIONAL WEATHER OBSERVERS DAY - May 4
JOIN HANDS DAY | First Saturday in May
NATIONAL CANDIED ORANGE PEEL DAY - May 4
NATIONAL ORANGE JUICE DAY - May 4
NATIONAL HOMEBREW DAY | First Saturday in May
NATIONAL SCRAPBOOK DAY - First Saturday in May
NATIONAL RENEWAL DAY - May 4
NATIONAL STAR WARS DAY - May 4 (May The Fourth Be With You)
NATIONAL DAY OF REASON | May 4

NATIONAL SILENCE THE SHAME DAY - May 5
CINCO DE MAYO - May 5
NATIONAL ASTRONAUT DAY - May 5
NATIONAL LEMONADE DAY | First Sunday in May
NATIONAL HOAGIE DAY - May 5
NATIONAL TOTALLY CHIPOTLE DAY | May 5
NATIONAL INFERTILITY SURVIVAL DAY | Sunday before Mother's Day
NATIONAL CARTOONISTS DAY - May 5
MELANOMA MONDAY | First Monday in May
NATIONAL CREPE SUZETTE DAY - May 6
NATIONAL BEVERAGE DAY - May 6
NATIONAL NURSES DAY - May 6

NATIONAL TOURISM DAY | May 7
NATIONAL FOSTER CARE DAY | First Tuesday in May
NATIONAL PACKAGING DESIGN DAY - May 7
NATIONAL BARRIER AWARENESS DAY - May 7
NATIONAL ROAST LEG OF LAMB DAY - May 7
NATIONAL PASTE UP DAY - May 7
NATIONAL TEACHER APPRECIATION DAY | Tuesday of the first full week in May

NATIONAL STUDENT NURSE DAY - MAY 8
NATIONAL THIRD SHIFT WORKERS DAY | Second Wednesday in May
NATIONAL HAVE A COKE DAY - May 8
NATIONAL COCONUT CREAM PIE DAY - May 8

NATIONAL SCHOOL NURSE DAY - Wednesday of National Nurses Week
NATIONAL RECEPTIONISTS DAY - Second Wednesday in May
NATIONAL HOME FRONT HEROES DAY - May 9
NATIONAL MOSCATO DAY - May 9
NATIONAL LOST SOCK MEMORIAL DAY - May 9

FutureCEO

A coworker has a niece and nephew who were in the middle school. She was sharing some things with me, including how her niece texted her mom, "Active shooter. I love you.

It's so horrible that this has become normal. And yet some people don't realize this.

Thankfully when I was in school, all I had was fire drills. I actually had a fire drill for my office last week

Last edited:

PUSH

Original Poster
@PUSH , just checking in -- how are you doing today? (And how are the kids in your class, after yesterday's news.)
I'm fine. My kids were fine. One girl came in and started talking about it, and put up her fingers like they were a gun and pretended to shoot. I stopped that right away and said we weren't going to talk about it, because it might make others feel scared, and it's not something to joke about.

The mom whose daughter was in the school looked shaken up today. I asked how she was doing, and she just said she didn't want to be there, but she had a new student starting today. Her kids stayed home with her husband today.

SteveBrickNJ

I can imagine what I would feel if what has been discussed here for a couple of days took place at my Elementary School. It would so different than seeing it on the news or whatever. Emotionally powerful.

SteveBrickNJ

I hope it is ok if I mention that my wife DID gave a good birthday today. I woke her with a kiss and had a balloon nearby. Then I messaged her at work with a cute Happy B Day YouTube video. Her work colleagues bought muffins to share with the office staff in her honor. My wife was thankful for the Starbucks gift card I got her and the outdoor patriot decorations. We also had a nice dinner at Red Lobster followed by going to the mall. I'm glad she sincerely had a good day.25ec6320-2a38-44f8-bbdb-49359f60e5f4-1_all_7031.jpg25ec6320-2a38-44f8-bbdb-49359f60e5f4-1_all_7032.jpg20240502_183422.jpg20240502_183428.jpg20240502_220630.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom