Where do you get your vacation t-shirts made?

NWDMD

My extended family is going to Disney for a December trip. I've decided I may try to make everyone a vacation shirt to wear one of the days at Disney. I've got my design made and I'm looking at places to get them printed now. Do you guys get them made at someplace online? Iron on?

Thanks!
NWDMD

disneydiva72

I just wanted to add that ZAZZLE is a great company, the shirts are really nice quality and they wash wonderful, we had T-shirts made up from there for years and they still look great.

Upvote 0

NWDMD

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips, I'll check out zazzle and see if they'll let me use my own design. I'm going for an incredibles theme.

my.php

Upvote 0

Keri

Cafepress.com is a great site to design and purchase t-shirts. You have to be careful on copyright infringements though. My son designed a shirt that has mickey's head symbol with the words "The Disney Channel ruined my brother's life" over it. He ordered the shirt right away, got an email saying it would be taken off the site because of copyrights but the shirt did come in the mail 2 days later. Good quality products though and LOTS to choose from! It is even free to start your own small store with your merchandise.

Upvote 0

WildLodgeFan

I always find these shirts tacky..... sorry if I offend, but I don't see the appeal.

Adds to the fun, great momento, identifies us as a family - I guess for some of us there are lots of reasons. No offense at my end - the wonderful thing about our country is you have the right to your opinion and the ability to express it. :)

BTW, OP, I love the design - I wonder however if there should be any concern about copyright infringement? I imagine since you are not planning to sell the shirts for a profit that there may not be a problem, but it's been a while since I checked into copyright law. Anyone else on board have any insight?

Upvote 0

mickeymaniacs

we made our own last year and they turned out great. we used an iron on transfer that we designed and they were a big hit. We wore them on the plane and to the Halloween party and we got so many compliments from cm's plus it was easy to spot people in our party.(11 of us altogether) It is easy to do and they rally held up we still have all of them and are planning to make some for our trip the week after Thanksgiving.:)

Upvote 0

Raven66

The first year we went we got ours from Disneyshopping.com They came out really nice. I might get some more made if/when we get to go back.

I like your design.

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

disney specialty tshirts

we've gone through the disney site (they use zazzle). they have just about any character you can think of, including the obscure and the villans, a million names and spellngs to choose from or titles like bride, groom etc... the shirts we got several years ago and the ones we got last year have all held up great to multiple washings (both adult and kids). they have different shirt styles including tank tops, regular tshirts, babydoll, baseball styles etc... various colors. my husband suprised me last year making us bride and groom tshirts with the castle and the saying 'have a ball' on the front with the number 13 on the back (the suprise was a week vacation for our 13th anniversary, the t-shirts were how he told me where he was taking me). they make a nice keepsake when you have to come back to reality.

Upvote 0

DivineMadness7

In the case that Zazzle won't allow you to use your own design (it looks GREAT by the way, nice idea!) and you need to use iron-on transfers, here are a few tips. You can get a decent sized pack at a reasonable price, I made them for our last trip specifically for the Pirate and Princess Party since it was August and we didn't want to wear costumes. I figured out their final cost to be about $3-4 per shirt. I've also made lots of other iron-on shirts (Dharma shirts for a Lost finale party for one!), at least a dozen or so. Here's what I've learned:

-Unless you buy transfers that specify "for dark colors" only use the transfers on light colored shirts. I chose some pastels and a light grey because I don't like plain white t shirts. You can usually find reasonably priced tee's at a craft store (like AC Moore or Michael's) and even places like Target. I've purchased them for $2 a pop at AC Moore if you hit the right sale. Even if your design uses all black, the transfer itself itself will show on a dark shirt. They are more "translucent" than "transparent", so you will see all the "blank" space in the middle of the design. So in your case, unless you want to sit and trim all the background space out of each design, it could look sort of funny, kind of cloudy looking.

-Wash the shirts before you do the transfers. If you put on the transfer before washing and it shrinks a little during the first wash, it will stretch the transfer. Usually people want the shirts JUST for the trip, but you might as well get some wear out of it afterward or even for a next trip.

-On the same note, washing the shirts inside out after you've ironed on the design will help prolong the life of it. This and the other tips included in the instructions are important to follow like not washing them in hot water, as it will also crack the design.

-It's nice to personalize each shirt for each person. Maybe considering using a main design (like the one you posted) but also add something for each person. Could be their name, favorite character, lots of things. In our case, no one had the same shirt design or color. It was nice to have a "group" shirt without all looking identical.

-When you print the design, it needs to be printed IN REVERSE if there are any words on it. Otherwise, you will have backwards text. Not good! Unless the design is symmetrical, this is important. I've wasted a few transfers because of this! They are reasonable but not cheap. Ended up needing to buy a whole extra pack for just ONE transfer after I ran out after too many boo-boos. Also be sure to know which side your printer prints on (bottom or top of sheet in the loading tray) as you can end up printing the design on the wrong side of the transfer, wasting a transfer AND ink!

-Be sure you print to take up the entire 8.5x11 space of the sheet, if you want the design to be large. This is easy to do with any basic photo editing or printing software. You can also utilize the whole sheet by splitting it with two designs and cutting them apart.

-As mentioned above about the translucent but not transparent texture of the sheets, you'll want to be sure to trim any excess around the edges of the design. It can really improve the overall look. It can be cumbersome if the design has a lot of outside detail but really does make a difference.

Zazzle IS great and I've ordered other shirts from them via disneyshopping.com before, so if you go that route you'll be pleased. It may, however, be more budget friendly to do the transfers, especially if you can get the t shirts at a good price. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Mybails

we always do our own. Just finished this years actually. Each time we pick a theme and one transfer that will be for the whole crew. the rest of the design is individual. This year is "My WDW to do list"

Everyone picked out the things they want to do:

the shirts read

Ride - and pics of what they want to ride.
See - and pics of what they want to see
Hug - and pics of the characters that they want to hug the most

Upvote 0

piratemom

We used Zazzle this time around too. They had very good customer service. One of the shirts was too small and they exchanged it, no problem at all, even after the personalization - which was very nice.

We love to wear matching shirts. It identifies us as a group when we are in line and also if the kids wander, we can find them and they can find us very easily. We get lots of nice comments from other guests. One year there were 10 of us all matching from ages 4 to 71. It was great !

This year we have PoC shirts, character shirts, 4th of July shirts and LSU shirts to wear on certain days.
:lol:

Upvote 0
OMG zazzle.com is great! Thanks for recommending it! I just spent like 200 dollars on shirts for my Grand Gathering. I made a shirt with each person's favorite character and put their name on the front then on the back I put the name of our Grand Gathering. I like that I can give each person a different design because I know they wouldn't want to look all the same!

Upvote 0

WildLodgeFan

we always do our own. Just finished this years actually. Each time we pick a theme and one transfer that will be for the whole crew. the rest of the design is individual. This year is "My WDW to do list"

Everyone picked out the things they want to do:

the shirts read

Ride - and pics of what they want to ride.
See - and pics of what they want to see
Hug - and pics of the characters that they want to hug the most

AW - what an awesome idea - wish I had thought of it first! Does anybody have any great idea for shirts for a Sweet 16 trip that includes Dad, Mom, 16 - girl, 15 - girl, and 10 - boy?

Upvote 0

nankeldisney821

AW - what an awesome idea - wish I had thought of it first! Does anybody have any great idea for shirts for a Sweet 16 trip that includes Dad, Mom, 16 - girl, 15 - girl, and 10 - boy?

I just went last August for my daughter's 16th birthday with my sister and my daughter's best friend. I had made my own shirts. I went to Michael's and bought shirts and paint and fabric that I cut out Disney characters from and used fabric glue to put them on the shirts. On my shirt, I wrote "I'm the birthday girl's mom", my daughters said "It's my 16th birthday trip", my sister's said "birthday girl's favorite aunt" and her friend's said "I'm the birthday girl's best friend". I did 3 different types of shirts. We had other's that just said "Mom", "Sweet 16", "Favorite Aunt" and "Best Friend". We did other's for a Scavenger Hunt that we had someone make up for us and my sister and I were on one team with shirts that said "Team Mickey" and my daughter and her friend were "Team Tink". We had a blast!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom