Where do you draw the line of affordable?

missy1972

Wow, this post could get long. We save, save, save!! We start saving for our next Disney trip the minute we get home from our last trip. We are a family of six and try to go to Disney once a year. In the past we have scheduled our trips when we can go with other family members so that we can put one of our children in the room with them and pay them the difference. This allows us to stay at Port Orleans Riverside instead of the more expensive resorts that will accommodate six or more. The difference between the resorts will run anywhere from $1,000 to $1,200 for a one week stay. We also book our trips during free dining which saves us thousands. Can you imagine how much it would cost all six of us to eat two meals and a snack daily at Disney? Even if we left the parks and ate off property, we would still spend a considerable amount. All that being said, I have priced other vacations and found that Disney is actually cheaper than other places that I would like to take my family. I priced a vacation in Williamsburg, Virginia and was absolutely amazed. Three nights accommodations, three days entertainment(one day Busch Gardens, one day Historic Williamsburg, and one day Busch Gardens water park), no food included and it was $2,600. And, let's not even talk about a cruise which I would love to take. We usually do six nights at a Disney resort and seven days in Disney parks, food included for around $2,400. We are close enough to drive, so we do not have air fare to consider. I'm sure that would make a huge difference. Now of course this does not include gas, food on the way down or back and souvenirs. We can usually get by with about $600 for those expenses. Staying off property could also save a family even more. We just love being right in the middle of the magic, not to mention to get the free dining you must stay on property. We put our $200 down and save the rest throughout the year and every extra penny we make goes straight into our Disney fund!! I happen to think that $3,000 is quite reasonable for a week long (all inclusive) vacation for a family of six (and three of mine are actually considered "adults"). I would consider us to be middle class and we definitely have to conscientiously save in order to have the privilege of taking our yearly vacation to "The Magic." But is it worth it? OH YEAH!! :sohappy:

DisneyDebNJ

We normally decide on our vacation dates a year or so in advance. (Once the dates for Food and Wine are announced) and then about 6 months out, decide on a budget. Depends on the year's finances and stock market to be honest. If we decide on a higher budget, we forego weekend or day trips, cut back a little for the holidays, birthdays, etc, and any unexpected monies get thrown into our "Disney account", and once the trip is paid off (we try our best to do this several months out), we start are "Disney Mad Money" account. I also have a weekly budget for food, and incidentals, and each week if I spend less than my budget, that goes into Disney trips as well. Regardless, by the good graces of the Mouse that Be (or my obsession for Pluto) we are able to pull it off.

The Empress Lilly

The world has come down hard on alot of us, so for those people who are like me, how do you afford it?
Everybody who, like me, has to get up this week and work for a living, has to do Disney on some sort of budget - be it a modest or large budget. We all have to make choices in what we spend on what.

Tips to save:
- Check and check and check airfare prices.
- Sanford airport is only 40 miles away, a much cheaper airport than MCO, so check that one for prices too.
- Buy Disney souvenirs at Disney's outlet on the Premium Outlet Mall (that what it's called?) up north on International Drive.
- Stay offsite.
- Get some groceries. Have breakfast and a midnight snack from what you bought in the supermarket.
- Bring some drinks and snacks to the park.
- Travel by bus. Lynx operates good busses. Cheap, reliable and safe.
- Be unashamedly cheap. Make a cup of tea or coffee in your room. Bring it with you outside to enjoy at your pool. Bring a bottle of soda to the parks. Buy those glow-in-the-dark thingies at Walmart before the vacation, give them to your children before a parade or fireworks so you don't have t buy them at $85 each from disney.

real mad hatter

Your going the wrong way!

Everybody who, like me, has to get up this week and work for a living, has to do Disney on some sort of budget - be it a modest or large budget. We all have to make choices in what we spend on what.

Tips to save:
- Check and check and check airfare prices.
- Sanford airport is only 40 miles away, a much cheaper airport than MCO, so check that one for prices too.
- Buy Disney souvenirs at Disney's outlet on the Premium Outlet Mall (that what it's called?) up north on International Drive.
- Stay offsite.
- Get some groceries. Have breakfast and a midnight snack from what you bought in the supermarket.
- Bring some drinks and snacks to the park.
- Travel by bus. Lynx operates good busses. Cheap, reliable and safe.
- Be unashamedly cheap. Make a cup of tea or coffee in your room. Bring it with you outside to enjoy at your pool. Bring a bottle of soda to the parks. Buy those glow-in-the-dark thingies at Walmart before the vacation, give them to your children before a parade or fireworks so you don't have t buy them at $85 each from disney.

40 miles from Sanford to WDW? 32.4 miles.:lookaroun :wave:

mousehockey37

Original Poster
Most of these answers are what I am trying to do to get funds together for a trip. Now for those of you that have annual passes, relatives who live close to the parks, etc. This thread wasn't necessarily intended for you.

I'm looking for those people who are regular families/couples. Ones that that aren't making the big bucks (living check to check as per my original post). There was a post from a single mom on here, HER post is a valued one in my eyes. She's got 1 income and a few kids to feed, all while trying to get away on a vacation for a few days. Responses like that are what I'm looking for.

And to clarify... The person that said they spent over $10k on airfare to come to Disney, they were from Hawaii. See the thread that relates to "How much do you spend for Disney".

This whole topic is centering around the raising prices at Disney and in the USA and how Disney is becoming a place only the rich can/will be able to afford. So how do those of us that make just enough to get by fit into Disney's business model?

I think back to Jurassic Park, when they are taking the tour, and they are sitting to lunch. The lawyer says something like "And we can charge anything we want, $1000 a day, $2000 a day and people will pay it", and Mr. Hammond responds, "No. Jurassic park will be for every single person to come see, we will not cater to only the super rich." This seems like this is in line with one of the visions that Walt had for his park. If this is true, then shouldn't some changes need to be made?

crispy

I just wanted to add that Disney can be as expensive or as cheap as you want to make it. We usually spend between $1,500 and $2,200 out of pocket for our family of 4 to visit. This includes room, lodging, food, transportation, and souvenirs (althogh we spent closer to $3,000 last year because we went for 8 days instead of the usuall 5 or 6).

The big thing is to budget and then spend accordingingly. Here are some of the things we do to make trips affordable:
- Stay off-site or getting a room only rate discount at a Value resort.
- Go off season. Our school district has a modified year around school schedule so we get a two week long break in October and in March. This makes scheduling a trip much easier.
- Take advantage of deals. In January, we enrolled our daughter in the Disney YES program and were able to get tickets for about 40% off.
- Share meals or better yet bring food, drinks, and snacks to the park with you. We do this when we don't have the dining plan.
- Drive to Orlando instead of flying. We save close to $1,000 by driving each trip.
- Limit souvenirs. We give our daughter's a sounvenir budget of $25 (they are 4 and 6 so we will increase when they get older) each. We also usually by an ornament for our tree and that's it. We rarely ever spend over $100 on souvenirs.
- Collect gift cards through the year. We have a Disney Visa and we usually have close to $100 in rewards points to spend each trip. I get customer rewards from several sites which give gift cards, and I use those to offset trip costs. I currently have close to $80 in gift cards that I have been collecting to use on our trip. Also, let family members know that Disney gift cards are appreciated as gifts.

All that to say, that everyone who is going to Disney is not spending 5K to 10K per trip. I wish I could spend that much, but we just don't have it in the budget. I do find that by saving, budgeting, and leveraging resources that we can usually take an fun, affordable trip to Disney every year. Also, we pay for our trips in cash (well, we put it on the Disney Visa and then pay off immediately to get rewards points) which helps us stay on budget.

Sharkreef11

I think it's a personal thing.Your family income etc,how much would you spend on a non WDW vacation?Some of my friends cringe when they here how much we spend on a Disney vacation.That's the same family who smoke cigarettes like their going out of fashion,drink to the point that they can't remember what they did yesterday,think that a great holiday is two weeks in Blackpool [the pits] and last of all,have never had a passport hence never left the UK.Yet they tell me that Iam daft spending that amount of money.Yeh,right.:wave:

You hit the nail on the head. Everyone spends their money differently. Period. My family goes through the same battle. Disney trips are what we work for every year. We don't live a ritzy life style and don't have all the nicest things money can buy. We live a very modest life style. There are people who have the nicest upgrades in there home and fancy cars and go to high end restaurants, but that isn't us. What matters to us is our escape to the WDW bubble once a year so we make it work. We became DvC members back in 04 because we plan on going every year and it has paid for itself at this point. Going to Disny makes us happy. Can't get enough.

tarin24u

Our August trip will be our 4th but we haven't been since 2007 - for us it's all about really enjoying ourselves. We don't go every year but when we are there we don't 'nickel and dime' ourselves to death. I don't count every penny and worry about everything we buy. My girls don't ask for much and my husband and I work really hard - we go to enjoy ourselves. I like that we've stayed at different resorts and now we enjoy the deluxe resorts. I like a few ADRs and I like renting a car. We certainly have a plan when we go but there isn't anything I wouldn't do because I thought it was too expensive. Our girls really appreciate everything and are always telling us how much fun they have when we go. Our trips trips to WDW are some of our happiest family memories and that's what makes it worth the $$ :)

DisneyDebNJ

The bottom line, we do what we can to get there, doesn't matter if its value, deluxe, concierge etc.... if all of us can afford a memorable vacation, then that's the battle won!!! (And don't forget to try your best to be helpful to other guests if you can, FPs, etc.... just go with the intent of smiling and making people happy) ... and take ALOT of pictures!!! :wave:

Sans Souci

Most of these answers are what I am trying to do to get funds together for a trip. Now for those of you that have annual passes, relatives who live close to the parks, etc. This thread wasn't necessarily intended for you.

I'm looking for those people who are regular families/couples. Ones that that aren't making the big bucks (living check to check as per my original post). There was a post from a single mom on here, HER post is a valued one in my eyes. She's got 1 income and a few kids to feed, all while trying to get away on a vacation for a few days. Responses like that are what I'm looking for.

And to clarify... The person that said they spent over $10k on airfare to come to Disney, they were from Hawaii. See the thread that relates to "How much do you spend for Disney".

This whole topic is centering around the raising prices at Disney and in the USA and how Disney is becoming a place only the rich can/will be able to afford. So how do those of us that make just enough to get by fit into Disney's business model?

I think back to Jurassic Park, when they are taking the tour, and they are sitting to lunch. The lawyer says something like "And we can charge anything we want, $1000 a day, $2000 a day and people will pay it", and Mr. Hammond responds, "No. Jurassic park will be for every single person to come see, we will not cater to only the super rich." This seems like this is in line with one of the visions that Walt had for his park. If this is true, then shouldn't some changes need to be made?

I understand what you meant in your first post--you weren't necessarily looking for practical advice.

Distilled down to it's barest essence, Disney is a business. It does not care who can afford a WDW vacation. It only cares about revenue. It does not care that Americans (or anyone else for that matter) may not be able to afford to visit--this is reality. I know it sounds harsh, but this is the truth.

When you say "living from check to check", do mean a person who is just paying living expenses and not saving for emergencies and retirement? I ask because that term means different things for different people.

bethymouse

Family of 4

I am a teacher and my husband works at a newspaper company printing ads.
We save.
We drive.
We only go during "discounted" periods like "free dining" or "room only" discounts and spend anywhere from $3,000 to $5,000 on a vacation to WDW including gas, food, souvenirs, park tickets, stay: the whole package!:)
We usually go on vacation each year. The beach costs just as much if not more even using "coupons" and "super savers" on the internet!
Wherever you go these days, it's expensive. So, you either save or you just don't go!:dazzle:
I have tried saving $ staying @ discounted hotels and things, but it's not worth it! We've had to get up and leave in the middle of the night b/c AC doesn't work and many other reasons too numerous to mention!:eek:
The "value" resorts and the "moderate" resorts are of course the most "affordable". It's nearly impossible for a "regular" family to vacation @ a Disney deluxe property such as Grand Floridian, Contemporary Tower, or Polynesian unless it is "discounted" in some way!:rolleyes:
The "bounce back" offer is usually fairly good at up to 40% saved on rooms, but you need to know your schedule in advance!:shrug:
No matter what, people will go to Disney, but I certainly wouldn't spend anymore than $5,000!:)

mouse_luv

I understand what you meant in your first post--you weren't necessarily looking for practical advice.

Distilled down to it's barest essence, Disney is a business. It does not care who can afford a WDW vacation. It only cares about revenue. It does not care that Americans (or anyone else for that matter) may not be able to afford to visit--this is reality. I know it sounds harsh, but this is the truth.

When you say "living from check to check", do mean a person who is just paying living expenses and not saving for emergencies and retirement? I ask because that term means different things for different people.

I'm sure the OP knows this, I know him personally and he meant "check to check" as in---everyday costs, such as rent, groceries, other necessitated living expenses, not to mention having some leftover in case of any kind of emergency. When it comes down to it, I think with all of that said, he is just trying to figure out how he and his girlfriend, both with jobs can go, when it's so hard to even make it day to day with the minimum in living expenses. This includes doing things like couponing etc...
This said by doing a DVC points buy from a DVC rental place, getting cheap airfares, and renting a car on property to be able to go to walmart for groceries for the week in disney so relying on Disney for all the food etc isn't necessary.

Jenna

We havent been since 2009, hopefully returning next summer but for 5 of us our three week stay in Florida (off site) with a 21 day park ticket, universal, sea world, ioa and discovery cove tickets comes to nearly 8000...plus spending money but as a family there's nowhere else we'd rather go!

Magenta Panther

Being new to the board myself, but not new to things overall, I've seen threads go up about how much people spend on their trips. I've seen some who spend over $10k just on airfare to get to WDW.

So my question to ask is this:

For those of us that are just regular people (no fancy jobs and living on tighter budgets, etc), where is the line of affordability?

Let's face it, not all of us are able to go every year or even every other year. The world has come down hard on alot of us, so for those people who are like me, how do you afford it?

I always end up spending about $2000 overall for 9-10 days in the parks. And so far I've gone by myself. And I usually stay at a value or moderate resort.

But someday...the Grand Floridian...that's my dream...

Tiggerfanatic

The line of affordability is where you are comfortable drawing it, not just with Disney vacations but with others purchases, too, How much is too much for a car - $10,000 or $100,000? How much is too much for a house - 3 bedrooms or 10? Everyone's situations and priorities are different, and it depends on what and how much you are willing to sacrifice in order to afford what it is you want, whether it is a vacation at Disney World or that big new shiny Harley.

yensid67

Being on disability, but an avid Disney freak, I think my breaking point for affordability would be when our trip would cost more than $2500 for 2 for Flight/Hotel/Car/Tix/Souvenirs.

I think affordability will be when or if Disney Tickets go over $100. Thats why the trip I am planning now for 2013 will probably be my last trip...unless I win the lottery, or course! :animwink:

jlevis

The line of affordability is where you are comfortable drawing it, not just with Disney vacations but with others purchases, too, How much is too much for a car - $10,000 or $100,000? How much is too much for a house - 3 bedrooms or 10? Everyone's situations and priorities are different, and it depends on what and how much you are willing to sacrifice in order to afford what it is you want, whether it is a vacation at Disney World or that big new shiny Harley.

This! We all have differing incomes. I can tell you where I might draw the line but that won't do you any good. I stand-by my earlier comments about going into debt to go. I disagree with the pp who said Disney is getting to the point where only the rich will be able to go. There are many, many options and price points that allow people with varying income to go. The reality is that there will always be people who will not be able to go to Disney but not everyone can afford New York City or Vegas. Good luck, I hope you get there soon. Disney World is my favorite place on earth and the good thing is the memories last a lifetime.

DisneyJunkie

Being new to the board myself, but not new to things overall, I've seen threads go up about how much people spend on their trips. I've seen some who spend over $10k just on airfare to get to WDW.

So my question to ask is this:

For those of us that are just regular people (no fancy jobs and living on tighter budgets, etc), where is the line of affordability?

Let's face it, not all of us are able to go every year or even every other year. The world has come down hard on alot of us, so for those people who are like me, how do you afford it?

To be honest, we tend to (a) drive to Disney instead of fly, which is about a 9-10 hr drive, and (b) share a place (or room) with others instead of stay by ourself. On our upcoming trip in September, we're staying at Wilderness Lodge and two of my younger siblings are sharing a room with my wife and I so we can afford to go. We have tried other level resorts (i.e. Caribbean Beach, a 'moderate' resort) and I don't know that I'd be able to get my wife to stay in one of those again. The convenience of having a short walk to get to refill our mugs or to get to the resort bus stop as opposed to having to wait for a bus to reach your section of the resort to take you to another section.....it's worth more to stay at a deluxe, we find. But again, with the deluxe, we look to share the cost of the trip with others. Also, we look to take advantages of deals to balance out the cost.....whether there's a significant discount on rooms or the free dining plan is offered. We plan our trips around those kinds of things.

draybook

We also drive. The rental car is about $350 for almost two weeks, which is much cheaper than flying for the 4 of us. We also go during Free Dining. Our total package for 6 night/7 days is only about $2300. I think our total trip will be about $4400, which includes other Orlando attractions, gas, food, and souvenir money. We simply put back a certain amount per check. I also work a ton of overtime to help pad that fund. I think I put in about 23 hours of OT last week alone and I average 20 hour of OT a week.

Gotta do what you gotta do for the things you want. Disney is totally worth it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom