Where do all the animals go at night?

coffeebean

Original Poster
I was talking to a CM in Animal Kingdom and questioned him about the large buildings that can be seen from the train that takes you from Asia to Rafiki and back. The buildings have the names of the different animals on them. The CM told us that none of the animals stay in their natural habitats at night. All animals that roam in their natural habitats during the daylight go into their "assigned" buildings and stables at night. How do they do that???

All of the animals are trained with a certain sound to go back to their stable every night. Each group of animals has their own sound to respond to... sounds such as hand claps, the tingle of a triangle, the sound of a bell, etc.

What I found absolutely amazing is that all the birds know EXACTLY which cage they are supposed to go to. When the birds are "called" using their sound, there is a flurry of birds passing each other, over and under, crossing left to right and right to left and they all wind up in their "assigned" spots.

The CM said it takes about an hour each evening for all the animals to be in their stables and cages at night. All I can say is "WOW".

Rob562

While the animals are called in at night, and most do come in, they're not actually forced to do so. If any of the animals want to stay out in their areas of the savanna, they can. (though at some point the animal handlers will force them in to give them required health exams)

There are hidden doors along the ride path that close at night securely partitioning off the areas.

-Rob

coffeebean

Original Poster
While the animals are called in at night, and most do come in, they're not actually forced to do so. If any of the animals want to stay out in their areas of the savanna, they can. (though at some point the animal handlers will force them in to give them required health exams)

There are hidden doors along the ride path that close at night securely partitioning off the areas.

-Rob
Thanks for expanding on the information I was given. It's nice to know the animals are not forced to come in at night.

Captain Hank

Not all of the species are brought in. On the Kilimanjaro Safaris savannah crocodiles, flamingos and (I belive) Thomson's Gazelle stay out all night. Most others are pretty anxious to go in at night, and will "hug" the gates in late afternoon--giraffes are horrible about it.

pintraderpayee

My students and I took a Y.E.S. class last year and got to see where they prepare and store the animals' food. It was facinating! The food for the carnivores was nice and bloody so my high school students loved it.:ROFLOL:

49 days until we are Orlando bound for Grad Nite 2011 with 9 teenagers:hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom