Where Are All The Characters???

duchess1576

Original Poster
When I lived in CT and vacationed at WDW in '05 and '06, I saw more unique characters in those few days than I see now! And I've had a FL-resident pass and have visited WDW almost every weekend since February. I only see the same characters every weekend. The same meet-and-greets with the same princesses, and of course all the classics, like Mickey, Donald, Goofy, etc. Five, six years ago I had pictures taken with Robin Hood, Prince John and Friar Tuck, Br'er Bear, Geppetto and Gideon, Launchpad McQuack, Meeko and Ratcliffe, White Rabbit and Tweedledee and Tweedledum, Baloo and King Louie, Captain Hook and Mr. Smee, and Jiminy Cricket. Some of these might be in parades, but never out and about. What gives?

LilSuzy

Most are on a schedule...so if you only go weekends you may see the same characters scheduled for the weekend. This doesn't happen all the time, just depends on what Disney has planned.

WDW_Emily

Not sure if this is on weekends but in World Showcase (forgot exactly where but it's kinda hidden) they have some rarer character for meet and greats (they are normally cm's in training) Last April we went on a Thursday and met Max, Baloo, Jafar, the country bears, and Gideon

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
When I lived in CT and vacationed at WDW in '05 and '06, I saw more unique characters in those few days than I see now! And I've had a FL-resident pass and have visited WDW almost every weekend since February. I only see the same characters every weekend. The same meet-and-greets with the same princesses, and of course all the classics, like Mickey, Donald, Goofy, etc. Five, six years ago I had pictures taken with Robin Hood, Prince John and Friar Tuck, Br'er Bear, Geppetto and Gideon, Launchpad McQuack, Meeko and Ratcliffe, White Rabbit and Tweedledee and Tweedledum, Baloo and King Louie, Captain Hook and Mr. Smee, and Jiminy Cricket. Some of these might be in parades, but never out and about. What gives?

Meeko, Baloo, and King Louie all greet at Animal Kingdom.

The White Rabbit greets at Magic Kingdom, in front of the tea cups, sometimes with Alice, and sometimes solo. The Tweedles occasionally pop up there as well.

Jiminy Cricket greets at Conservation Station in Animal Kingdom.

Hook and Smee used to greet outside of Pirates of the Caribbean, but I don't think that's still happening.

I can't help with the others.

Patrick_Ears

I saw Peter Pan running past me in Fantasyland this past visit. :lol: He had a little girl with him trying to find something.

dreamfinder

I think it's a whole bunch of reasons.

It's much easier for WDW to have a consistent listing of characters. I imagine its more affordable for them as well.

It lets them have a more consistent experience for guests. Suzy wants to meet Minnie and Tinkerbell. She could care less about meeting Gideon or Hades. So WDW makes it easy to find Minnie.

They don't need to worry about people having no idea who the characters are from some of the slightly older films. More often than not, when I have seen Terk (from Tarzan, released only 12 years ago) people have no idea of his/her name. They think its just a monkey or a gorilla. Never mind other older movies. As much as it pains me, I don't think most kids could identify Gadget, Launchpad, Bonkers, or any of those "Classic" Disney Afternoon characters.

They can use rarer characters as a selling point for hard ticket events. WDW likes cash, and this helps them to get more.

The same way the classic characters were out a few years ago, they are now replaced with the current trendy characters. Handy Manny, Little Einsteins, etc.

And as a PP said, lots of lesser characters will still pop up, you just need to know where to look.

drew81

I think it's a whole bunch of reasons.

It's much easier for WDW to have a consistent listing of characters. I imagine its more affordable for them as well.

It lets them have a more consistent experience for guests. Suzy wants to meet Minnie and Tinkerbell. She could care less about meeting Gideon or Hades. So WDW makes it easy to find Minnie.

They don't need to worry about people having no idea who the characters are from some of the slightly older films. More often than not, when I have seen Terk (from Tarzan, released only 12 years ago) people have no idea of his/her name. They think its just a monkey or a gorilla. Never mind other older movies. As much as it pains me, I don't think most kids could identify Gadget, Launchpad, Bonkers, or any of those "Classic" Disney Afternoon characters.

They can use rarer characters as a selling point for hard ticket events. WDW likes cash, and this helps them to get more.

The same way the classic characters were out a few years ago, they are now replaced with the current trendy characters. Handy Manny, Little Einsteins, etc.

And as a PP said, lots of lesser characters will still pop up, you just need to know where to look.

Unfortunately, the special events have become very stale over the past few years. They have removed more of the rare characters and kept the same ones you can meet in the parks any given day. I remember when Not So Scary had Darkwing Duck, Goliath Gargoyle, Quasimodo, Clopin, Phoebus, Pain and Panic. I wish those days would return.

I also feel WDW really doesn't care about the fans when it comes to characters. They care more about the tourists who come there every 3 or 4 years and meeting their desires. I have no problem with that but there should be some balance.

DisneyNut2007

Unfortunately, the special events have become very stale over the past few years. They have removed more of the rare characters and kept the same ones you can meet in the parks any given day. I remember when Not So Scary had Darkwing Duck, Goliath Gargoyle, Quasimodo, Clopin, Phoebus, Pain and Panic. I wish those days would return.

I also feel WDW really doesn't care about the fans when it comes to characters. They care more about the tourists who come there every 3 or 4 years and meeting their desires. I have no problem with that but there should be some balance.

Don't be a dummy! They do care!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom