When will we be getting our next thrill ride?

Smiddimizer

Original Poster
It's been almost four years. When will the next thrill ride come to WDW?

Not necessarily an E. At least a D.

:p

BenS

Hmm, now that I think about it, we are a bit behind schedule:

2006 - Everest
2003 - Mission Space
1999 - RnRC and Test Track
1994 - Tower of Terror
1992 - Splash Mountain
etc. (sorry if I'm missing something major, going by memory here)

For the last 17 years, there hasn't been more than a five year gap between E-Tickets. For that pattern to continue, there would have to be a new E-Ticket by 2011, and we probably would have heard about it by now.

Should we count Star Tours II?

_Scar

.... check out Universal or Sum of All Thrills or you're lut of luck.

Plus, there's a VERY similar thread exactly on this subject.

CDavid

For the last 17 years, there hasn't been more than a five year gap between E-Tickets.

This really depends on how you define an "E" ticket. Yes, Star Tours II will qualify, but so will Mermaid in the Fantasyland expansion, as did recent additions Soarin' and Toy Story Mania. Only if you follow a very strict definition of an "E" ticket as being a thrill ride do these attractions not qualify (remember that The Hall of Presidents was once an "E" ticket attraction).

Thrill rides - particularly extreme thrill rides - run the risk of alienating too large a percentage of Disney's core demographic.

BenS

This really depends on how you define an "E" ticket. Yes, Star Tours II will qualify, but so will Mermaid in the Fantasyland expansion, as did recent additions Soarin' and Toy Story Mania. Only if you follow a very strict definition of an "E" ticket as being a thrill ride do these attractions not qualify (remember that The Hall of Presidents was once an "E" ticket attraction).

Thrill rides - particularly extreme thrill rides - run the risk of alienating too large a percentage of Disney's core demographic.

Ah, I was talking specifically about thrill rides, since that's what the OP was asking about. (I probably should have said that instead of e-ticket, since not all e-tickets are thrill rides as you say)

GrumpyFan

.... check out Universal or Sum of All Thrills or you're lut of luck.

Sum of All Thrills is not even in the same league as Everest, Mission:Space, RnRC or TestTrack. At best it's Cyber Space Mountain 2.0, but that's a stretch even.

I think the closest thing to a new "thrill ride" will probably be Star Tours 2.0. I should point out too, that while Toy Story Mania isn't a thrill ride, it was a decent investment.

nuttyskadork

Sum of All Thrills is not even in the same league as Everest, Mission:Space, RnRC or TestTrack. At best it's Cyber Space Mountain 2.0, but that's a stretch even.

I think the closest thing to a new "thrill ride" will probably be Star Tours 2.0. I should point out too, that while Toy Story Mania isn't a thrill ride, it was a decent investment.

Basically we should be asking when we're going to get another coaster lol

Mansion Butler

Disney's first thrill ride was 1959, correct? Was there another one, unless you count Pirates, until Space Mountain was built?

And somehow, between those, the most innovative, exciting, creative and legendary era of growth and expansion for Disneyland was ushered in. Without a new thrill ride.

I'd rather Imagineering focus on great rides, and not just thrills. It might be a long time, and that might just be a good thing.

BenS

I'd rather Imagineering focus on great rides, and not just thrills.

Why can't we have both? :D

I completely agree that thrills alone can't make a ride, and certainly can't make up for lacking in other categories. But when Disney does thrill rides right, they're some of the best rides around. (Everest, ToT, Splash, etc.)

It's all about balance. You can't have a park that's just thrill rides; people who have young kids or don't like thrills wouldn't go. Conversely, you can't have a park without thrill rides; it just wouldn't be interesting enough for some people.

It's true that the Disney parks were sparse on thrills for quite some time, but tastes change, and if Disney doesn't offer thrills, their competitors will.

But I completely reject the notion that thrill rides devalue the parks in any way. I used to have a strong phobia of thrill rides that I only got over last year, and I've been a Disney World junkie for much longer than that. There are plenty of great non-thrill rides out there. Recent developments (Toy Story Mania) and new announcements (Little Mermaid) seem to indicate this won't change anytime soon. :)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Unfortunately, between the amounts of money being spent by Disney on Cars Land, the new Shanghai park, and the FL expansion, I'm not sure any new "thrill" rides will be coming our way any time soon....

RSoxNo1

No, I think it would be like considering The Simpsons over at Universal Studios a thrill ride.

Star Tours is a thrill ride currently, but it's a dated one. From what we've heard this makeover will be fairly significant. I think the tough pill to swallow is that it's still going to be a Star Tours attraction. Had they been demolishing Star Tours and replacing it with an Indiana Jones simulator I think it would be easier to comprehend that it was a substantial improvement/change.

I've never been a huge fan of Star Tours, and I've never been a big fan of simulators. That being said, I welcome the change because if it was something that I rarely if ever experienced, a change should be for the better.

_Scar

Really? That would be like considering POTC a thrill ride.

Well, simulators offer thrill... I hope they crank up how intense the car moves. Don't tone it down, go all out.

My neice who isn't even 1 has been on Pirates :lol: You're right about PotC not being thrill-ful.

jonnyc

Well, simulators offer thrill... I hope they crank up how intense the car moves. Don't tone it down, go all out.

My neice who isn't even 1 has been on Pirates :lol: You're right about PotC not being thrill-ful.

I agree that Simulators can thrill (See: CyberSpace Mountain), but not the current version of Star Tours, and unfortunately I don't see them making it more "thrilling".

RSoxNo1

Really? That would be like considering POTC a thrill ride.

I agree that Simulators can thrill (See: CyberSpace Mountain), but not the current version of Star Tours, and unfortunately I don't see them making it more "thrilling".

I expect Star Tours to move from the C/D ticket category to the D/E ticket category as a result of this. I'm looking at it as a tear down/rebuild of the attraction as I feel the change will be that substantial. Going from a 2d film to a 3d film is substantial, especially for a simulator.

Even if I don't care for Star Tours 2.0, I'm sure it will help in distributing crowds around DHS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom