When will WDW go over the cliff?

disney fan 13

Original Poster
I don't think many can argue that WDW has been in decline for the past decade.From the loss of quality in attractions, food, and general upkeep,along with the overbuilding of hotels,lack of new quality rides, overbranding to the 3-10 market, and major unneeded price hikes has made it foreseeable that WDW will soon go over a cliff where it could take many years to regain it's reputation,income,and attendance. I feel this cliff will occur if the lack of what I stated above continues and next gen takes full hold and stays in effect for a large duration of time. Which I believe would be very devastating to the point that UOR parks would overtake ether AK or DHS (or both!) in attendance. Along with a decent loss of attendance to the other two parks.

So, when do you believe that Disney will go over the cliff? (If you believe it will at all)

disney fan 13

Original Poster
IMO, it seems that things are starting to turn in the right direction. With all of these rumored projects, all that has to happen now is construction getting underway.

I really don't think so, With Carsland being "Value engineered" to the max,Avatar not expected until 2019-2020, and the frontierland expansion still in concept stages I would say nothing has changed.

A113PoCfan

I feel the Walt Disney Company is still recovering from the Eisner era's decisions and practices. Iger seems to be trying to transition Disney into a new era, IMO.

wdwfan4ver

I don't know about WDW falling off a cliff, but it isn't out of question that AK and DHS will be passed by IOA or Universal Studios Orlando by 2016. Transformers is opening next year and that will help them out a little bit. Harry Potter Expansion part 2 will by drawing crowds to Universal. Comcast isn't afraid of spending more money on IOA or Universal Studios Orlando.

The only way for WDW to change is get a rid of all bad apples at TDO. I am saying that because Phil Holmes and Meg Crofton leaving wouldn't do much because there still would be the same things happening at the parks and the person that will be taking over for Meg doesn't sound good at all according to the hint Lee gave.

Cody5242

2088? Seriously though Wdw is turning itself around. With fle looking like a hit due to its fantastic marketing campaign and TT 2.0 getting superior reviews it looks like wdw is doing well for itself. I know I'll probably get called out for this but I think cars land won't end up being valued engineered and I think avatar will be a massive hit -ducks-

luv

Disney will continue to slide. They spend 4 billion dollars on Star Wars but they can't afford to keep the bathrooms clean or give us running water to wash our hands. Instead of fixing or replacing the icky tram seating, they slapped paint right over the whole mess, tears, rips and all.

These guys are not all that smart.

disney fan 13

Original Poster
but it isn't out of question that AK and DHS will be passed by IOA or Universal Studios Orlando by 2016. Transformers is opening next year and that will help them out a little bit. Harry Potter Expansion part 2 will by drawing crowds to Universal. Comcast isn't afraid of spending more money on IOA or Universal

I figure for sure that at least one park will fall to IOA or USF, but by how far is the question.

the.dreamfinder

Disney will continue to slide. They spend 4 billion dollars on Star Wars but they can't afford to keep the bathrooms clean or give us running water to wash our hands. Instead of fixing or replacing the icky tram seating, they slapped paint right over the whole mess, tears, rips and all.

These guys are not all that smart.
As much as I dislike some of the decisions and structure of TWDC, that criticism is far too simplistic. Disney had been lined up to buy the Star Wars properties for like five years. The problem is that Iger's management policy is very hands off. That's not to say there's anything wrong with the CEO not interfering with the operation and direction of a division of the company. Some of Disney's healthiest businesses, Pixar, Walt Disney Animation, ESPN, and Marvel work well under this structure and they for all intents and purposes should continue as such. However, that doesn't always work out so well as we have seen with TDO. There has never been a concerted effort to fix TDO since Iger became CEO because it still makes, well it used to, good money even if the long term picture which we're seeing now is not pretty.

Also, after Iger became CEO, he really didn't change the executive leadership. Folks from the "Strategic Planning" committee, a group of MBAs that were a sort of Disney Gestapo, still work there. Tom Staggs, Eisner's CFO now head of P&R is still there as well as Jay "I hate theme parks but I ran P&R" Rasulo is CFO. That management structure only cares about PROFIT and not QUALITY.

"Quality is the best business plan"
said this guy
john-lasseter-pixar.jpg

CommyHolly

I don't see any of the issues you see. *Shrug*

I don't either. There's always something new,,,,,,

I will say, however, that MK needs some "thrill" rides for the 15-23 crowd,,My son would love to see some real twisting and turning type coasters.

BryceM

True :) and he likes Mt Everest and Tower of Terror too,,,,,,

but you know kids (LOL, he's 24),,,,,,,they always want more :)
Maybe he should visit Universal... The Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror is probably the most "thrill" you can get at Walt Disney World. The thrill aspect of that ride is easily trumped by The Incredible Hulk Coaster, Dragon Challenge, and Hollywood Rip, Ride, RockIt.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
You're missing the point.

Who cares? Presumably you do - well yippy for you! I don't pay attention to very minute detail of every aspect of WDW. I go there to have fun. Sometimes I take my teenage son and sometimes I go solo, but every time I go I have a wonderful time. My son and I have spent many weeks at WDW and a few at DLR over the past 12 years and the only bad trip we had was one to DLR and the bad aspects had to do with taking my ex-wife along, nothing to do with Disney.

My statement was that "I don't see the issues...". I don't. You can bemoan the devastation of WDW all you want. You can try to point out what you see as managerial travesties all you want. I still don't see it. They say misery loves company, I choose not to be your companion... The '74s of the world will likely accuse me of being a pixie dust snorting apologist for all things Disney and they'd be wrong, I'm just a 53 year old guy who enjoys being a big kid at Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom