When will the intervention come?

Mondo

How much of that though is coming from roller coasters? Would anyone like to suggest that Disney should adopt the Universal strategy of just building large scale outdoor roller coasters all over their parks? They're pretty cheap to do and people seem to love them right? Maybe World Showcase lagoon would be a great spot for one?
People are excited for heavily themed coasters, which is one thing Disney actually recognizes. Guardians, while at the wrong park, is a huge success, as are Tron and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Your strawman example doesn’t carry a lot of weight when Universal is also doing this kind of thing with the likes of Donkey Kong.

el_super

People are excited for heavily themed coasters, which is one thing Disney actually recognizes. Guardians, while at the wrong park, is a huge success, as are Tron and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Your strawman example doesn’t carry a lot of weight when Universal is also doing this kind of thing with the likes of Donkey Kong.

Sure they do build some highly detailed coasters, but then they are also building bare steel out in the open as well. Something like Velocicoaster is super popular, and for Universal cheaper to build than something Disney would do, but are we prepared to suggest something like that would have a place in a Disney park?

Probably not.

Mondo

Sure they do build some highly detailed coasters, but then they are also building bare steel out in the open as well. Something like Velocicoaster is super popular, and for Universal cheaper to build than something Disney would do, but are we prepared to suggest something like that would have a place in a Disney park?

Probably not.
Not at their current gates, but at a fifth gate? With Disney being the multimedia, omni-demographic juggernaut that it is today? Why not?

AdventureHasAName

You think Tron is a success? Putting aside the obvious ridiculousness of how long it took to build in WDW, it just looks boring. And I'm a big Tron fan (the films). I mean, I would have been happier if they made Bruce Boxleitner do the voiceover for the Peoplemover and made the queue start in the newly rethemed "Flynn's Arcade." I know it would have been a hell of a lot cheaper than what they built.

Mondo

You think Tron is a success? Putting aside the obvious ridiculousness of how long it took to build in WDW, it just looks boring. And I'm a big Tron fan (the films). I mean, I would have been happier if they made Bruce Boxleitner do the voiceover for the Peoplemover and made the queue start in the newly rethemed "Flynn's Arcade." I know it would have been a hell of a lot cheaper than what they built.
No, I think Tron is way too short, but it certainly has demand.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
CA attendance seems to be doing just fine, as are the other parks and sites and the cruise line. FL attendance isn't doing so poorly that it's erasing the gains from the other areas. The issues in Florida are clearly market conditions that are not related to Disney's actions or their product.

They will be fine.
You can say the same incorrect things 1,000 times…and they’ll still be wrong everytime

Laketravis

Not at their current gates, but at a fifth gate? With Disney being the multimedia, omni-demographic juggernaut that it is today? Why not?

Agreed. I said years ago that I thought WDW should open a fifth gate dedicated to the immersive coaster crowd - which has been growing in popularity and demand as evidenced by the current attraction leaders.

Tha Realest

Preach. Little known fact on their profits:

Net Income (profit):

2018: $13B
2019: $10.9B
2020: -$2.4B
2021: $2.5B
2022: $3.5B
2023: $3.4B

This is awful and if not for milking their profits at the parks by literally just jacking up prices and robbing guests blind, these numbers would be even worse than the already abysmal actuals they put up. To say it another way, Disney made half as much profit in the last 4 years as they did in 1 year (2018).
If these numbers are accurate, and Disney has hit the same attendance numbers they did pre-pandemic…ouch.

el_super

If these numbers are accurate, and Disney has hit the same attendance numbers they did pre-pandemic…ouch.

This is operating income (profit) for just the parks/experiences division:

2018: $4.4B
2019: $6.7B
2020: $0.4B
2021: $0.4B
2022: $7.9B
2023: $8.9B

And this is most assuredly not the same attendance levels domestically as pre-pandemic.

Chef Mickey

Of course they are accurate. Disney is horribly managed and the parks are the only reason they are even at all profitable. EVERY quarter they have some BS about why it sucked. You don't see good companies making excuses every quarter.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is operating income (profit) for just the parks/experiences division:

2018: $4.4B
2019: $6.7B
2020: $0.4B
2021: $0.4B
2022: $7.9B
2023: $8.9B

And this is most assuredly not the same attendance levels domestically as pre-pandemic.
WRONG AGAIN, MCGRAW!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6344.png
    IMG_6344.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 60

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom