When will the intervention come?

el_super

If crowds keep going down in both CA and FL occupancy wise at hotels as well, what are we expecting next year with EU opening?

CA attendance seems to be doing just fine, as are the other parks and sites and the cruise line. FL attendance isn't doing so poorly that it's erasing the gains from the other areas. The issues in Florida are clearly market conditions that are not related to Disney's actions or their product.

They will be fine.

Disstevefan1

Probably. I think the heat and the economy at large are probably dictating their attendance there more than anything.
Well just now in a previous post,
Florida reaches record tourism numbers so far in 2024
So Florida is doing OK in 2024, so maybe any problem is WDW specific?

el_super

Florida is booming tourism wise, Magic Kingdom was a crowd level of a 1/10 on Memorial Day, Universal was a 9/10.

And MK attendance bounced back on the following Tues.

If you take a look at the historical wait time averages, both MK and IOA have been experiencing a significant drop in the summer (from thrill-data.com):

Magic Kingdom YTD:
1717686288146.png

IOA YTD:
1717686326031.png

So what happens in Florida after April?

el_super

So Florida is doing OK in 2024, so maybe any problem is WDW specific?

Mostly anecdotal, but some friends of mine have said the prices of the hotels/houses along the beaches in Florida have never been higher. Said that Miami was around $700 a night and the keys were around $1000....

Absolutely makes sense if people are seeking out cheaper alternatives than going to the theme parks.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
As a lifelong Disney fan who still enjoys going, albeit with lower set of expectations than before, I can sum it up this way.

Disney is obsessed with controling and micromanaging the guest's vacation, while giving the illusion that they truly care about the experience. The ultimate goal being the sucking out every last cent from the guest regardless of circumstance but never techinically crossing the line as to universally be defined as predatory.

Cliff Notes: Disney doesn't care about you. They don't care about your experience. They don't care about your values. They don't care about your circumstances.

Once you can accept that, then your visits will become less stressful because you just won't care and you'll be able to enjoy things for what they are. Half of the places in Orlando have surpassed Disney in customer service and value. Disney doesn't care. Why should you?

Disstevefan1

As a lifelong Disney fan who still enjoys going, albeit with lower set of expectations than before, I can sum it up this way.

Disney is obsessed with controling and micromanaging the guest's vacation, while giving the illusion that they truly care about the experience. The ultimate goal being the sucking out every last cent from the guest regardless of circumstance but never techinically crossing the line as to universally be defined as predatory.

Cliff Notes: Disney doesn't care about you. They don't care about your experience. They don't care about your values. They don't care about your circumstances.

Once you can accept that, then your visits will become less stressful because you just won't care and you'll be able to enjoy things for what they are. Half of the places in Orlando have surpassed Disney in customer service and value. Disney doesn't care. Why should you?
THIS.gif

el_super

Do you hear that sucking sound??

That's Universal sucking tourists dollars from Disney.

Yeah but to really understand if that's a bad thing for Disney or not... we'd have to look at ticketing options and pricing breakdowns and demographics (which generally, we don't really have information for). It would go to reason that attendance at Universal might be higher, if their prices are lower or there is more access to annual passes and local discounts. How many people are coming in on a discounted admissions versus non discounted or what their average per-cap spending is. For instance, Universal for years targeted the teen/young adult demo, which notoriously has no money.

Epic Universe is focused on delivering what people want. All of Disney’s current projects are only focused on what Iger wants.

How much of that though is coming from roller coasters? Would anyone like to suggest that Disney should adopt the Universal strategy of just building large scale outdoor roller coasters all over their parks? They're pretty cheap to do and people seem to love them right? Maybe World Showcase lagoon would be a great spot for one?

Disstevefan1

Yeah but to really understand if that's a bad thing for Disney or not... we'd have to look at ticketing options and pricing breakdowns and demographics (which generally, we don't really have information for). It would go to reason that attendance at Universal might be higher, if their prices are lower or there is more access to annual passes and local discounts. How many people are coming in on a discounted admissions versus non discounted or what their average per-cap spending is. For instance, Universal for years targeted the teen/young adult demo, which notoriously has no money.

How much of that though is coming from roller coasters? Would anyone like to suggest that Disney should adopt the Universal strategy of just building large scale outdoor roller coasters all over their parks? They're pretty cheap to do and people seem to love them right? Maybe World Showcase lagoon would be a great spot for one?
Lets see what happens. 2025, 2026, 2027 will be interesting to watch.

My heart hopes WDW has NEW attractions by 2027.

My brain says no new attractions and the "increased capacity" by 2027 will be in new DVCs

Minnesota disney fan

By the time Disney sees the need to change, I don’t know if they will have the resources left to do so. I know WDW is a well-oiled machine, but it really is a delicate balance, and those profit margins are abysmal. Epic Universe is focused on delivering what people want. All of Disney’s current projects are only focused on what Iger wants.
WDW might be a well oiled machine, but the machine's main attractions are in bad shape and appear to have had no proper maintenance. The machine needs to be kept in tip top condition and running, not having all these breakdowns all the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom