When to take grandchild to WDW

ppet

As a new grandfather I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on when to start taking a youngster to the parks.

JohnD

I was in the queue for Little Mermaid and saw a couple in front of me carrying their infant through the queue. They had to leave the stroller in stroller parking, so the father carried the infant. Obviously, the baby isn't going to remember anything. I guess I was just startled that people would bring their newborns to WDW.

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

We brought our newborn but he also had a 2 1/2 yo brother. That trip was a "consolation" vacation as we were supposed to fly to New Zealand for a relative's wedding but both me and baby were not cleared to travel overseas but were ok to travel domestically. We just wanted a family vacation where we didn't have to worry about food, transportation, etc and our oldest had a blast in the pool/water park as well as meeting characters and a lot of the rides. It was a different trip but a lot less expensive than New Zealand/Australia! Sometimes its what a family wants to do.

Upvote 0

yensid67

Coming from a former Cast Member...

I have seen parents bringing their kids when they were still in diapers! I always thought what kind of rides are the parents enjoying because they have their baby with them!? Yeah, they can each ride as single riders, but... I would suggest to take your child when you BOTH can enjoy the attractions TOGETHER! 5 yrs and above I would say. Taking a toddler 0-4 yrs is a waste, they won't remember the trip, then they will demand to go again!(LOL)

Upvote 0

JohnD

Coming from a former Cast Member...

I have seen parents bringing their kids when they were still in diapers! I always thought what kind of rides are the parents enjoying because they have their baby with them!? Yeah, they can each ride as single riders, but... I would suggest to take your child when you BOTH can enjoy the attractions TOGETHER! 5 yrs and above I would say. Taking a toddler 0-4 yrs is a waste, they won't remember the trip, then they will demand to go again!(LOL)

You ain't kidding. In my post above, I mentioned I saw a couple bring a newborn. And when I mean "newborn", I really mean newborn! Now this kid slept through everything and was peaceful. Another time, I was leaving MNSSHP at 1:00 am and a poor baby was screaming bloody murder on the bus ride back to the resort. None of us on the bus were angry at the baby. That child wanted to be in bed. But we were glaring at the parents for deciding to bring their baby to MNSSHP party and have no sense of leaving early for the sake of their baby.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

I was in the queue for Little Mermaid and saw a couple in front of me carrying their infant through the queue. They had to leave the stroller in stroller parking, so the father carried the infant. Obviously, the baby isn't going to remember anything. I guess I was just startled that people would bring their newborns to WDW.

I have seen newborns that couldn't be over a month old at the parks. We personally did not feel comfortable taking our children until they were 18 months old and had most of their shots. To me, I would never have forgiven myself if they got something just because I couldn't wait a few months to go to a theme park. Too many people are not vaccinating their kids now that it is possible for a child to get one of these diseases. My kids are grown now but I am old enough to have seen what these diseases do to a person that it scared me enough to not want my child to even have have a chance to be exposed to them.

Upvote 0

BWDVCkidsince96

I could go on and on about this forever, but I basically already have in the post linked below. I was highly skeptical about bringing my one year old to WDW two years ago, but I'm so glad I did. I still maintain that it was the best week of my life. It led to us going back 4 times since then (he's almost 3.5 now). He LOVES every trip, for new reasons. That 15 month old trip was still just the happiest week ever. Each trip is pretty awesome for new reasons though. This past trip (newly age 3) was pretty great because he could ride so many new rides (Slinky Dog, Mine Train, Kali River, Test Track, etc). There is really no reason to NOT take them when they are free (2 and under). Take them. You'll never regret taking them.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom