When to go?

tink2

Original Poster
I know it is a year away- but due to circumstances, we had to cancel our disney world trip this past Dec. and are trying to paln another one. DH just got a new job and will not get vacation days until next Jan. We want to go as soon as possible, so we are planning a trip for Jan/Feb 2008. We've never been during this time and want to go when the crowds will be as low as possible. I know we need to avoid MLK Day and President's Day. What about cheerleaders- I know there is an event sometime in Jan.- is it a problem with crowds while they are there and when are they there? Any advice appreciated. What is the best week to go in Jan. or Feb. Also, when do they usually release the resort rates for the next year?
TIA:)

ToTBellHop

right around this week is pretty nice...and you can go to the Pirates and Princesses Party. The cheerleaders start showing up in early February. I wouldn't say there are enough of them to make the parks crowded, but you can hear them screaming on the Tower of Terror from across the park...

Just avoid Presidents Week.

3fordisney

I had never been in January and went to Orlando last week. I didn't go to the parks, but went to DTD and Pop Century for lunch. It wasn't crowded at all! I visited some family who lives down there and this isn't a busy time. Just keep in mind some of the rides are closed for refurbishment.The weather was nice! We always plan our next Disney trip when we are on our way home from there! Its never too early for me!

hubby and i used to go in jan and feb and always found the crowds to be pretty low. weather was a variable between the years we went at this time. one year it was moderate and comfortable and the next year during the exact same time it was so cold we had to buy sweatshirts, hats, and gloves.

there was some cheerleaders during this time but they weren't too bad. my fav time is sept. because it is usually pretty slow, but it's very hot. hope you have fun. sorry you have to wait so long!

tink2

Original Poster
I've been to WDW 5 times- once as a pre-teen and 4 times since I've had kids. My first trip as an adult was with my 6 month old baby girl. The first 3 trips were big family trips- my parents, my unmarried brother, and other brother and his wife and two kids. The family trips were always the week of Thanksgiving. My last trip was the first week of December and there was no comparison crowd- wise between Thanksgiving and then. We want to go in Jan./Feb. b/c that is when DH will get his first vacation days with his new job. DD will be 8 then and we don't want to wait- we want to go while she still has the magical twinkle in her eye and still 'believes' in the princesses and magic. DS will be 6 and I think that will be great for him too. So that is the background of our trips. We are big-time planners- get the discount codes, call 180 days in advance to get the first seating in the castle so we can get in the park early, have the fast-pass system down to an art (if we need them in Jan/Feb), know all the character spots, etc. etc.
Any other help/advice for this time of year would be great. I want to make this trip as wonderful as possible for my kids- we've had a rough couple of years financially and they have been begging to go back- especially since we had to cancel the trip in Dec. I want to make it as wonderful as possible and avoid any glitches that I can prevent- crowds, etc.
Thanks!!!

hansel1

My wife and I have gone to Disney world the past two years in a row during january. In 2006 we went from the 8th through the 15th. This year we stayed from the 4th through the 14th.

I can tell you this much about the first two weeks of January:

The parks are somewhat crowded until the sunday that the Disney marathon ends (Usually the 7th or 8th depending on the year).

From the day after the marathon ends, the parks are not crowded at all! Walk ons to most all of the rides. Our longest wait during this period was 10 minutes for Soarin' and as you probably already now most of that is walking the cue.

Starting with the saturday of MLK weekend the crowds seem to pick up, but not to the levels of the marathon weekend.

One thing to note: There are usually one or two major refurbishments going on during this timeframe. In 2006 it was Space Ranger Spin in MK and Test Track in epcot. This year Splash Mountain in MK, El rio de tiempo (mexico) in Epcot and Aerosmith's RNR in MGM were closed.

luv2ash

NOW! we just got back 2 days ago, and it was perfect! We walked on most rides, longest wait was 10 mins top! We both agreed that despite the weather, it is worth going this time of year. You just have to remember to pack all sorts of clothing for different temperatures. And that there may a few refurbs going on, but still plenty, plenty to do.

tink2

Original Poster
What will be the likely refurb next year? I haven't been keeping up in a while b/c my lsat trip was 2 years ago- so I've been kinda out of the loop a little!

ToTBellHop

What will be the likely refurb next year? I haven't been keeping up in a while b/c my lsat trip was 2 years ago- so I've been kinda out of the loop a little!
the ride that is now updated at every other Disney Resort (I believe Tokyo updated it...if it's not done yet, they are certainly doing it soon) :lookaroun

tink2

Original Poster
space mountain? Oh I hope not, DD can not wait to ride that for the first time- she wasn't tall enough last trip!

tink2

Original Poster
Guess so! I'll hold out hope that it won't be in refurb, but I've been wondering when they'd do it since Disneyland did. Oh well, maybe RNR won't be under refurb. If I had to choose, I'd rather it be Space Mountain. Maybe they'll add the music and make it up-to-date, it does need it. Thanks for the heads up- I can prepare her for the possiblilty!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom