When do you pack?

YoungNY

I'm 19 days from Disney and I'm resisting the urge to pack. To be honest I've been wanting to pack for 2 weeks now. I think I'll wait one more week. So when do you start packing for your Disney trips?

pcarathers

well, i keep a storage bin with things that we ALWAYS take on our Disney Trips and when we plan our next vacation, I start buying up or packing things that will not expire or are perishable...our disney beach towels, disney socks, lanyards and other items like those. Then closer to time to go, I start putting in our toiletries and other items I buy up along the way. Keeps everyone in the family excited about the trip in one way or another. Then, a day or two before we leave, all I have to do is pack it in the suitcases. We usually pack any snacks/food that we take in the storage bins that held everything up to that point. By the end of the trip, the snacks are gone and we have bins to put souvenirs or dirty clothes in!

Upvote 0

Mouse Man

We take the luggage out two weeks before the trip. My wife takes about two to three days to pack her suite cases and I take the day off before we leave and wash any clothes that I want to bring that are dirty and then pack. We get up in the AM take showers dress and pack the car and are on the road from South Jersey at 6:30 AM. We stop at Cracker Barrel for breakfast.

Upvote 0

wendysue

16 days out, and the bags are getting nearer the front door each week....
Just need to throw the liquids in a quart size bag and we are off. I packed last month. Will put the bags in the car the night before, and literally just get out of bed, shower and out the door. :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Dads 2 Boys

This is our first trip October 22-29, 2010 so three sleeps away. We are planning on surprising the kids who are 6 and 3 so I will not be packing til the day before we leave which is at 3 am OMG. The kids will think that I am helping Daddy pack for a business trip and then when I wake them up at 3 am they are in for a huge surprise.

I am hoping to be able to just move them from bed to the car and tell them at the airport! We will have to see. I can hardly wait. Watched the video from Disney and was moved to tears!! I keep seeing commercials on tv of parents surprising their kids with going to Disney!! Priceless.

First off....that is really awesome. I wish I could do that but I would blow it.

I begin 2-3 weeks before but have my list prepped a few months in advance (but I'm a little crazy). I think it depends on when the trip is and where in the country you are too. If you go in December and live in the Northeast, you can pack the shorts well in advance. :lol:

Upvote 0

StingraySam

Our cats do that as well. The oldest one (Loki) gets supper clingy when the suit cases come out and does her best to keep us from packing. When we git back she turns her nose up and ignores us for about a day.:lol:

Our one cat (Kelly) does not like it when we leave, even for a night. We have to close all doors to rooms and cover the sofas with plastic or we will come home to unwanted furniture or floor cleanings. We even tried to trick her by not having any bags the last time we went for a single overnight trip not too long ago. We didn't cover anything and left as if we were just going out for awhile. Thought we were in the dry when we came home but after about 15 mins. our son found a spot on the floor, tile fortunately.

As for packing, we (or should I say I, because I do all the packing) pack the day we leave. Actually, as soon as the bags are packed we put them in the car and leave. So depending on how long it takes me to pack is how long before we leave.

Upvote 0

StingraySam

This is our first trip October 22-29, 2010 so three sleeps away. We are planning on surprising the kids who are 6 and 3 so I will not be packing til the day before we leave which is at 3 am OMG. The kids will think that I am helping Daddy pack for a business trip and then when I wake them up at 3 am they are in for a huge surprise.

I am hoping to be able to just move them from bed to the car and tell them at the airport! We will have to see. I can hardly wait. Watched the video from Disney and was moved to tears!! I keep seeing commercials on tv of parents surprising their kids with going to Disney!! Priceless.

Hope you can pull it off, it's so much fun when you can.

A couple of years ago I did something similar with my son and daughter for a day trip. It was during one of thier days off from school but since my wife and I had to work that day and the school offer daycare I told them they would have to go to daycare that day. I got them and myself ready as if they were going to school and I was going to work and didn't say anything to them. What made it even easier was I had to drive north on I-95 to take them to school. When I passed the exit to thier school is when I had to fess'up. We had a blast that day!

Upvote 0

dizzney

I have my Disney Packing List on the computer and update it for the time of year we are going once I make our DVC reservations, already starting working on next August since we are bringing alot of family down with us.

A month before I recheck whats in my Owners Locker, and then start picking up anything I need to purchase and place that in my carryon bag.

DH washes the laundry a week before and I have it folded in piles then. Goes in the duffels the day before we leave. Just thinking of it makes me want to make a reservation to go now!

Upvote 0
I "gather" things all year long for our Disney trips (we go every Summer) but I don't really start the real packing until the weekend before we leave. The toiletries and bathroom stuff doesn't get packed until the day we leave.

Upvote 0

staceycrouton

In all honesty, I've had the suitcases on the dining room table for a couple of weeks now and we don't leave until Nov. 8th. I pack some items, then take others out. I second-guess what I'm bringing until the day we leave. I always end up over-packing but I'd rather have too much rather than not enough clothes. My husband reminds me that there are laundry facilities at the hotel (POFQ) but I don't plan on spending my vacation doing laundry! :lol:

Upvote 0

stillgoofy

I am ashamed that at 48 days out, I have my suitcase out, and things like my lanyard, and other things in it.

Don't be ashamed. I admit that I do the same thing although my suitcases aren't actually out because I am surprising my daughter a couple days before we leave. So I have been stuffing things away in the corner of my closet in secret. I've been doing this for awhile when I come across something I will need for the trip that I won't use in the meantime. Since preparing for the trip is half the fun, I stretch it out for awhile. We are 36 days out.

Upvote 0

nepalostparks

Like some others have said, we start prepping weeks before the trip, buying or putting aside things we know we need but won't use before the trip.

Then about a week before we'll bring up the suitcases from the basement to air out, and as I get laundry done start packing a few days before the trip. We're fully packed the night before the trip, minus any last minute personal items that get thrown in as we get ready the morning of departure.

If I put it off until the day before the trip, we'd surely forget too many little things.

Upvote 0

marcriss

We have 43 days to go and I want to start at least gathering the warmer clothes together. Like others have said, the cats totally freak when the suitcases come out. Usually I take them out 2 days before with the hope that I'll be done ahead of time. Inevitably I'm up til 1am or so the night before. 8:30 am flight this year, I'd love to be in bed by 10pm watching tv.

Never gonna happen.

Upvote 0

minniemickeyfan

I keep up with a list on the computer which makes things so much easier when its time to pack..
1st our backpacks for the parks, then bathroom stuff- this at least a week ahead and the clothes starting a few days before.
I think it helps to pack a little at a time, and no one wants to spend time at Disney getting those things you forgot!

Upvote 0

SAV

Like others have said. I start throwing misc non-perishable items into the suitcase as I stumble up on them(spray fans, back pack, etc). Then the few days before, I put many of the things that I know we will not be using...beach towels, pins & lanyards, kids items). Then the day before, laundry is done in mass then the DW and I pack it up the night before we leave. Same for the toiletries and what not. All done the night before.

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

Is it bad that I never even put my suitcases away from our August trip??? :lol: they are sitting in my room and I have been secretly put little things in there every now and again since we got back!!! DS doesn't know we leave for Disney in just a months time as it is a surprise early Christmas gift for him...:sohappy:

But I really don't start packing clothes until like 2 days before we leave.

Upvote 0

mousebymarriage

usually about a month or two before the trip I start picking up things here and there for the trip (toiletries, fun things for the kids for the car, misc. items, and snacks about a week before).

The suitcases come down from the attic about 2 weeks before so that I can air them out and Febreeze them.

The summer clothes also come down from the attic when the suitcases come down(we usually go in the winter months). I have the kids try their summer clothes and then pick up anything thats needed.

The weekend before we leave is when we start packing getting the bulk of it done. All last minute items are placed in one suitcase the day we leave. The car gets packed with anything possible the night before and then the last suitcase is put in the car right before we leave along with the cooler and bag of snacks.

We of course have many lists so that we don't forget anything plus we triple check those lists.

*now my sis-in-law packs the morning that they are leaving and she is usually pulling stuff right out of the dryer and into the suitcases while the car service in the their driveway waiting for them. The funny thing is, she never forgets anything.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom