When did the practice of stopping rides for wheelchairs start?

mimitchi33

Original Poster
This is a question I've been wondering for a while. When did the practice of stopping rides for people in wheelchairs to take extra time to board them begin? Was there an incident that lead to this practice?

graphite1326

When we first started going the 90's I don't remember it happening. It seemed to get gradually worse as we continued thru the years. Now every ride seems to stop. In all fairness; it doesn't bother me that much.

Goofyernmost

I was going to say, at the very least, in the 1990's probably from day one when needed. They did stop the ride for people that needed assistance getting on the ride itself. If they were at least slightly able to get there with minimum help for their companion (i.e. holding them by the arm for stability), they didn't stop it. Getting off was an even bigger problem but they didn't stop it automatically. They did however have a hand levitating over the stop switch.

I cannot tell you how many times people posted complaints about ride breakdowns because the ride stopped when it was just a minute or so to help a disabled person get on the ride. In other words the complaints about lack of maintenance have been a common incorrect complaint for many years.

JIMINYCR

Our first trip was 95 when DW got out of rehab from losing the use of her legs from MS. At that time she was in a w/c that I pushed. She could transfer out onto the ride cars with my help. They would stop the ride long enough for me to get her on and off the rides. Now she’s in a power chair from progressive weakness from MS and they stop for her loading on and off. It’s not a lengthy stoppage but she can enjoy the things the chair can load on and off with specially build ride cars to handle the chair with her still in it. Unfortunately there are few too many attractions on property with these cars for her to enjoy those things she could. Disney should provide more access on those rides w/c users could enjoy.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I'm guessing they started stopping rides from the very first time they saw someone in a wheelchair needing extra time.

I think the reason its more noticeable now is many more people in wheelchairs realize Disney is still a fun place to go and they can access most attractions.
I also think that more and more people are opting for wheelchairs or ECV whatever their reasons may be and utilizing them throughout the attraction expereince when possible.

Goofyernmost

Our first trip was 95 when DW got out of rehab from losing the use of her legs from MS. At that time she was in a w/c that I pushed. She could transfer out onto the ride cars with my help. They would stop the ride long enough for me to get her on and off the rides. Now she’s in a power chair from progressive weakness from MS and they stop for her loading on and off. It’s not a lengthy stoppage but she can enjoy the things the chair can load on and off with specially build ride cars to handle the chair with her still in it. Unfortunately there are few too many attractions on property with these cars for her to enjoy those things she could. Disney should provide more access on those rides w/c users could enjoy.
One they used to have in the 80's & 90's in Epcot was just for standard wheelchairs, but there were cars with access to wheelchairs that went by every few. They would lower the rear gate and push the chair including passenger on the ride. The wheels on a standard Wheelchair would drop into designated locations and they could ride with everyone else without the ride stopping. That was located in the, appropriately, World of Motion.

ppete1975

Its perception. More people in general. And before there were non motorized wheel chairs (which sounds horrible), then powered wheel chairs. With ecvs being so much more convenient more maneuverable and popular now there is just a higher percentage of users that need the stop

muddyrivers

I totally agree. If it is not technically feasible, I think Disney should build spaces for rides where those who cannot ride can at least enjoy the attraction experience via a video to get a relative feel of the ride experience. I believe Finding Nemos Subs in Disneyland allows "landlubbers" to watch footage without getting into the vehicle itself.

Heppenheimer

I never remember seeing it until the mid 90s, but perhaps I was too young previously to know what was going on.

I always hope that the Haunted Mansion stops while I'm above the ballroom scene, but alas, I'm usually going backwards into the graveyard when they stop the ride.

I agree with the others, as ECVs became far more common, it made visiting a Disney park with limited mobility far more feasible. Hence, ride stoppages became more frequent.

ppete1975

I totally agree. If it is not technically feasible, I think Disney should build spaces for rides where those who cannot ride can at least enjoy the attraction experience via a video to get a relative feel of the ride experience. I believe Finding Nemos Subs in Disneyland allows "landlubbers" to watch footage without getting into the vehicle itself.
Im actually shocked disney hasnt made special ride vehicles that are easier for people in emvs or wheel chairs (or just old and slower) to get into. While this might not be feasible for all rides, any of the new rides you would think could have 1 out of 10 vehicles have that ability for easier entry, or some kind of spot (such as flight of passage) where they can sit in their emv or wheelchair with 3d glasses and still enjoy the attraction. At this point most movie theaters and stadiums have special areas.

Goofyernmost

Although I understand a empathize with your concern. If one wants to experience an attraction via video they need not spend $100+ a day for something that can be experienced at home on a computer. Some types of experiences are just not available to some that are unfortunate enough to have physical problems that won't allow them to participate. Climbing a mountain comes to mind. It is sad, and I pray everyday that I don't get to that place, but reality sometimes is a bitter mistress. Not everything is possible!

JIMINYCR

Although I understand a empathize with your concern. If one wants to experience an attraction via video they need not spend $100+ a day for something that can be experienced at home on a computer. Some types of experiences are just not available to some that are unfortunate enough to have physical problems that won't allow them to participate. Climbing a mountain comes to mind. It is sad, and I pray everyday that I don't get to that place, but reality sometimes is a bitter mistress. Not everything is possible!
No not everything is possible and those with disabilities are aware of their vast limitations and have to come to grips with accepting things they cant do. BUT there are quite a few things at Disney where they could have put in the accessible ride cars. I remember the best ones were in Ellen Degeneres Energy Adventure. They were easily loaded with room for the chairs and their family members. Of course not all rides can have the same large cars but the designs for accessible ones could be similar.

Goofyernmost

No not everything is possible and those with disabilities are aware of their vast limitations and have to come to grips with accepting things they cant do. BUT there are quite a few things at Disney where they could have put in the accessible ride cars. I remember the best ones were in Ellen Degeneres Energy Adventure. They were easily loaded with room for the chairs and their family members. Of course not all rides can have the same large cars but the designs for accessible ones could be similar.
That was something that existed in the 80's and was easily done with standard wheelchairs, but who uses them anymore. It is either the SUV Type mobile chairs or scooters. Scooters, of course do require at least a small amount of mobility, but every chair now it not of standard size and having that many places available would be mind boggling. Since it would require tie downs for safety, the stops would be longer and the "hate" would be more intense because that is the freaking world we live in now.

JIMINYCR

No tie downs needed. DW rides in her power chair on the IaSW, 3 caballeros, seas with nemo, Pooh, JIM, journey little mermaid and a few others. None required tie downs. Power Wheelchairs are more standard in design than scooters as far as space and size. The time to load and unload is very small for someone who uses their chair daily and is competent in using it in daily life. If you ever look at the ride cars at nemo and JIM you’d see how easy they are for CMs to load and unload.

JIMINYCR

Also most people using scooters can transfer in and out and wouldn’t need to load their scooters. It’s w/ bound individuals thes would increase their enjoyment of Disney attractions.

Goofyernmost

No tie downs needed. DW rides in her power chair on the IaSW, 3 caballeros, seas with nemo, Pooh, JIM, journey little mermaid and a few others. None required tie downs. Power Wheelchairs are more standard in design than scooters as far as space and size. The time to load and unload is very small for someone who uses their chair daily and is competent in using it in daily life. If you ever look at the ride cars at nemo and JIM you’d see how easy they are for CMs to load and unload.
Basically, there are very few places that adapt to scooters except buses. Normally people that are active candidates for scooters are at least slightly mobile. Not for long distances but just the structure of the machine requires some ability. I used one at the end of 2019. I could stand for short periods of time and walk short distances, but I could get to the ride vehicles without assistance. I'm sure a lot of people were judging that I was using the scooter because I was fat and lazy. I am fat, but the inability to exercise contributed heavily to that.. Frankly without them I wouldn't have been able to go there at all. Power chairs are an over compensation for me for me. The current queue's are wide enough that a scooter can easily negotiate them up to the load area and then I could deal with it from there.

Goofyernmost

Im actually shocked disney hasnt made special ride vehicles that are easier for people in emvs or wheel chairs (or just old and slower) to get into. While this might not be feasible for all rides, any of the new rides you would think could have 1 out of 10 vehicles have that ability for easier entry, or some kind of spot (such as flight of passage) where they can sit in their emv or wheelchair with 3d glasses and still enjoy the attraction. At this point most movie theaters and stadiums have special areas.
The quantity of special vehicles with access to chairs and the like is limited due to the fact that if there is a serious fire or other problem that requires immediate evacuation they cannot have more special assistance guests then they can evacuate quickly. I'm sure we can all understand that it would take considerable longer to evacuate them the regular riders.

Goofyernmost

Tie downs are required or should be required whether or not the individual thinks that their vehicle has brakes or is just plain to heavy to move. Anything can happen, of course, totally unexpected that can move those things. I know this isn't the same an Omni ride but when I was in the busing business we had a rider that insisted that they not be tied down. In the process of the trip the driver had to make an emergency move to prevent a very bad accident. The process of centrifugal force and the top heavy load tipped it over into the seats across from the location. Fortunately there were only minor injuries but his head missed a solid metal stanchion by mere inches. One doesn't always take safety precautions for the expected hazards but for the unexpected, unimagined ones as well. I know that Disney is slowly moving away from Omni systems but the free wheeling untethered ride vehicles are the ones that are more likely to have a malfunction that is totally unexpected.

Lady Liberty

I think the real uptick in ride stops for disabled people probably started in the summer of 1990 when President George H. W. Bush signed The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) into law on July 26, 1990.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom