When did swimming in Bay Lake end?

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
This is just a random detail I've been wondering about. I have distinct memories of swimming in Bay Lake, at the Contemporary in 1981, and at Ft. Wilderness in 1984. My memory didn't invent these, did it? The reasons why Disney no allows lake swimming are obvious now (gators!), but when exactly did they stop it?

Lilofan

This is just a random detail I've been wondering about. I have distinct memories of swimming in Bay Lake, at the Contemporary in 1981, and at Ft. Wilderness in 1984. My memory didn't invent these, did it? The reasons why Disney no allows lake swimming are obvious now (gators!), but when exactly did they stop it?
Someone posted in the trip planning section years ago that swimming ended in 1998 at Bay Lake. When I took the ferryboat to MK I usually look for gators that at times creep up on the shorelines to get some sun, years ago.

Club Cooloholic

Someone posted in the trip planning section years ago that swimming ended in 1998 at Bay Lake. When I took the ferryboat to MK I usually look for gators that at times creep up on the shorelines to get some sun, years ago.
I think it was around then. I remember we took a trip in 99 and stayed at the polynesian and the CDs and literature were still saying you could swim in the lake but when we arrived there were signs posted saying it was prohibited

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
That's interesting, then. Almost 30 years of swimming in the lakes with nary a gator attack, then the unfortunate incident happens after the rules change.

Unless there was some attack I am not aware of. I know there was an attack at Fort Wilderness, but as I recall, this occurred in one of the creeks and not in the lake.

Victor Kelly

Late 90s is my guess. After 2001 River Coubtey closed as well because it was low capacity and the other two water parks opened.

I also agree with others, that there are serious amoeba issues in warm standing water. It happens not just in Florida, but everywhere. So they closed off the swimming. The gator incident just brought about more sigbs and barriers.

Rob562

When I worked in watercraft in 2005-2006 they let people swim in seven seas for triathlons.

The problem with the "brain-eating amoeba" is in the sediment in the bottom of the lakes. When that gets churned up it stays in the water nearby. It also is mostly just a threat to the young, old and those with a compromised immune system.
Triathlon swimmers are generally very healthy, and most of their swimming is done in the deeper waters of the lakes.

That's also why water skiing and parasailing and boating are still ok. Any water you're dealing with is the deeper waters and not the sediment at the lake bottom or the shallows along the shore.

-Rob

John park hopper

We stayed at the Contemporary in March 1977 for our honeymoon and I still have the Disney World News paper they put out(long before the internet and cell phones) Disney advertised miles of beaches to swim in Bay Lake. Can remember swimming in Bay Lake. Knew nothing about amoebas back then -- I'll stick to the pools. We have had cases of amoeba infection and death in SC-- rare though

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
Then I wonder if a guest caught a case of amoebic meningitis, and that was what killed lake swimming at Disney World.

Lilofan

Then I wonder if a guest caught a case of amoebic meningitis, and that was what killed lake swimming at Disney World.
Disney is good at reacting to incidents that happened. There was a time when resorts pools were open 24/7. After a drowning a few years ago, pools are locked at night. And the bodies of water big and small at WDW have now posted visible warning signs of snakes and alligators in the area after the fatal attack at the Grand Floridian.

eliza61nyc

Yea, my recent stay at POFQ I was disappointed the pools closed at night as I liked to take a swim when the kids were gone and it was nice and quite
aren't the quiet pools still open. I remember last year we went to the quiet pools around 11 pm. lol we may have been unknowingly breaking the rules but no one chased us out. they never have life guards there so maybe that's the difference.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I know of one "amoeba" death in WDW that I believe was in 1980 at River Country and there were three other amoebic meningoencephalitis deaths outside the parks in the Orlando/Bay Lake area that same month.

Lilofan

aren't the quiet pools still open. I remember last year we went to the quiet pools around 11 pm. lol we may have been unknowingly breaking the rules but no one chased us out. they never have life guards there so maybe that's the difference.
You may have not read the posted signs at the quiet pools. The main pools are locked with gates.

Club Cooloholic

The problem with the "brain-eating amoeba" is in the sediment in the bottom of the lakes. When that gets churned up it stays in the water nearby. It also is mostly just a threat to the young, old and those with a compromised immune system.
Triathlon swimmers are generally very healthy, and most of their swimming is done in the deeper waters of the lakes.

That's also why water skiing and parasailing and boating are still ok. Any water you're dealing with is the deeper waters and not the sediment at the lake bottom or the shallows along the shore.

-Rob
You are right about the sediment, the water has to be a certain temp for it but from what I have read, age and physical fitness have nothing to do with surviving the thing, if it gets up your nose you are in serious trouble. Many triathletes swimming in those water probably wear noseplugs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom