When did River Country close?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I remember it as the only waterpark Disney had at one time. If I remember correctly it was fairly close to Magic Kingdom. And I also remember that it was part of a trio of waterparks with Typhoon and Blizzard Beach. Prior to 2009 the last time I went to WDW was 2002. For some reason I remember it still existing at that time. But I may be wrong.

So what year did it open and then close?
And why? (although I assume it was underwhelming compared to the other two)
And how was it for those who went to it?

nepalostparks

This topic has been discussed numerous times in threads before. I would suggest doing a search for "River Country" to find them... most of your questions can be answered in those threads.

Ziffell

I remember it as the only waterpark Disney had at one time. If I remember correctly it was fairly close to Magic Kingdom. And I also remember that it was part of a trio of waterparks with Typhoon and Blizzard Beach. Prior to 2009 the last time I went to WDW was 2002. For some reason I remember it still existing at that time. But I may be wrong.

So what year did it open and then close?
And why? (although I assume it was underwhelming compared to the other two)
And how was it for those who went to it?

How dare you commit the cardinal sin of starting a thread on a topic that has occasionally been discussed before! :eek: Gasp!!

Seriously, pay no attention to people who get bent out of shape about that. Your questions are relevant and perfectly appropriate. :wave:

All that aside, here you go...

River Country opened in 1976. At the time, WDW was still just a few years old. And even the concept of a water park was not as well established as it is today. It stopped operating in 2001 and officially closed in 2005.

There have been a couple of different theories expressed over why exactly it closed. Some will swear that they are giving the definitive answer and others will admit that they are just providing their best educated guess. As far as I'm aware, the company has never publicly given an "official" reason for closing the park. It could be either of the following or possibly both (or neither of these at all)... One reason that's been suggested is that it no longer made financial sense to operate the park once Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach were both running. River Country was a minor water park by comparison, and located in a much lower traffic area. Another speculated reason was due to some sort of parasite that lives in Bay Lake and which somehow managed to (reportedly) creep into the waters of River Country, thus posing a serious health risk. Amazing that all the people who visited River Country in it's 25 year history all managed to survive!

As far as what was the park like? I can only speak from personal experience, but I thought it was a great park. If it were still open today, I would probably make it a regular part of my visits to WDW. It lacked the grandeur and size (and CROWDS) of the other two water parks, but I thought it's slides were better than any found at the other two parks. And I loved the setting! Unlike Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach where, when you leave the park you basically just walk out to the parking lot and to your car, at River Country there were other things to explore and see that were all within walking distance of the park. It was great! I have many fond memories of it!

nepalostparks

How dare you commit the cardinal sin of starting a thread on a topic that has occasionally been discussed before! :eek: Gasp!!

Seriously, pay no attention to people who get bent out of shape about that.

Since I assume these comments were directed at me, let me assure you I was not bent out of shape over the question. And asking a question asked before is not a cardinal sin. I simply directed the OP to a way they would be able to find a wealth of information on the subject of River Country.

It is unlikely that everyone who posted their ideas, information and pictures on the subject in previous threads will see and/or respond to this one. I was attempting to help the OP find as much information as possible by suggesting the search.

:wave:

chwilson88

Seriously, pay no attention to people who get bent out of shape about that. Your questions are relevant and perfectly appropriate. :wave:

All that aside, here you go...

River Country opened in 1976. At the time, WDW was still just a few years old. And even the concept of a water park was not as well established as it is today. It stopped operating in 2001 and officially closed in 2005.

There have been a couple of different theories expressed over why exactly it closed. Some will swear that they are giving the definitive answer and others will admit that they are just providing their best educated guess. As far as I'm aware, the company has never publicly given an "official" reason for closing the park. It could be either of the following or possibly both (or neither of these at all)... One reason that's been suggested is that it no longer made financial sense to operate the park once Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach were both running. River Country was a minor water park by comparison, and located in a much lower traffic area. Another speculated reason was due to some sort of parasite that lives in Bay Lake and which somehow managed to (reportedly) creep into the waters of River Country, thus posing a serious health risk. Amazing that all the people who visited River Country in it's 25 year history all managed to survive!

As far as what was the park like? I can only speak from personal experience, but I thought it was a great park. If it were still open today, I would probably make it a regular part of my visits to WDW. It lacked the grandeur and size (and CROWDS) of the other two water parks, but I thought it's slides were better than any found at the other two parks. And I loved the setting! Unlike Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach where, when you leave the park you basically just walk out to the parking lot and to your car, at River Country there were other things to explore and see that were all within walking distance of the park. It was great! I have many fond memories of it!

So funny, I've received similar messages about repeat threads also...have actually had threads closed on me for asking a question that's already been asked previously...I think people take the forum a little too strictly..people that aren't die-hard followers of this forum are bound to ask older questions and that's just life and it should be allowed...thanks for adding the humor into it...always needed!

Andrew54

I think the rule would be do quick search for the topic, if you dont find it make a new thread. Some people just take things so serious here..

Ziffell

Since I assume these comments were directed at me, let me assure you I was not bent out of shape over the question. And asking a question asked before is not a cardinal sin. I simply directed the OP to a way they would be able to find a wealth of information on the subject of River Country.

It is unlikely that everyone who posted their ideas, information and pictures on the subject in previous threads will see and/or respond to this one. I was attempting to help the OP find as much information as possible by suggesting the search.

:wave:

I have a difficult time buying that your intent was simply to "be helpful". It seems to me that if that was your true intent, then it would have been more helpful to simply answer the OP's questions and/or post some links to some of the threads that you're referring to. I'm more inclined to believe that you just wanted to chastise the OP and are now unwilling to own up to it. :wave:

On a separate note, I keep meaning to post some pictures I have from just a few years ago at River Country. They are very similar to the pics in the link that G-Bone posted. It looks like a scene from Logan's Run or Life After People. It is very eerie to see River Country in that current state, especially remembering the place being so full of life.

nepalostparks

I have a difficult time buying that your intent was simply to "be helpful". It seems to me that if that was your true intent, then it would have been more helpful to simply answer the OP's questions and/or post some links to some of the threads that you're referring to. I'm more inclined to believe that you just wanted to chastise the OP and are now unwilling to own up to it. :wave:

You should check my posting history then. I'm one of those members who will often answer those questions that have been posted time and again (especially on the Trip Planning forum).

My knowledge on River Country is little, which is why I didn't answer it myself. But I did remember seeing a number of threads about it over the last two years that I have been a member here. Since it was rather late at night, I wasn't feeling up to running a search myself and posting links. Since no one else had responded, I wanted to let the OP know a way to find the information.

You are free to believe what you would like, but my record speaks for itself.

Bigart

Ziffell was correct in the theories behind the closing of River Country. There was always concern about the lakewater being contaminated with some sort of microorganism, as it was lakewater that made up the swimming hole. The park stopped operating right after 9/11, and it was actually slated for a refurbishment. Of course that didn't happen. Simple Economics.

It was a great little water park that had a wonderful feel and layout. Just like the steam trains that ran through Fort Wilderness, it had its run. What is so sad is that it still remains in a delapitated and abandoned state, as the photos on the link in a previous post shows. It really could be refurbished. However the cost vs. attendance would simply not be a viable ratio. The lakewater swimmin hole would have to be sealed off and chlorinated as per a florida law about swimming facilities. Its a shame, as it was always so much fun.

G-bone

I will always remember this place because I almost drowned when I was like 8. Being not the greatest swimmer yet my older sisters put me on that slide and said they would catch me at the bottom. They missed and I went under. Scared me for a long time. We still joke about it every now and then. I will have to show them these pics.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster

lol, regardless of what message board I am on I don't pay much attention to those posts. The time it takes a person to tell another person to do a search is the exact time it would take to answer a question

But in all honesty thanks for the info everyone. I knew River Country was close to Magic Kingdom but in some of those pictures I can see the resort (not the Poly but the one where you go through it with the monorail) on your way to Magi Kingdom.

Yeah the place looks like a dump now. Seems very unlike Disney not to do something with that land. I don't see why they wouldn't do a refurb of it. 3 waterparks are better than 2 afterall. I think if a refurb would be done with extra slides and such than it would draw interest from the fans. I'd go to it. There hasn't been a new park added since 1998 and that includes the waterparks. A refurbished River Country would be practically new to everyone

Ziffell

lol, regardless of what message board I am on I don't pay much attention to those posts. The time it takes a person to tell another person to do a search is the exact time it would take to answer a question

:lol: Yeah I thought the exact same thing. That's another reason I didn't buy his excuse that he was just being "helpful". :rolleyes:

But in all honesty thanks for the info everyone. I knew River Country was close to Magic Kingdom but in some of those pictures I can see the resort (not the Poly but the one where you go through it with the monorail) on your way to Magi Kingdom.

That's the Contemporary. You can definitely see it quite well from the proximity of River Country and other spots in that general area. It's actually a great spot to get some cool photos of both the Contemporary and also Space Mountain.

Yeah the place looks like a dump now. Seems very unlike Disney not to do something with that land. I don't see why they wouldn't do a refurb of it. 3 waterparks are better than 2 afterall. I think if a refurb would be done with extra slides and such than it would draw interest from the fans. I'd go to it. There hasn't been a new park added since 1998 and that includes the waterparks. A refurbished River Country would be practically new to everyone

I would love to see them create a whole new River Country from scratch. it wouldn't even have to be in that exact same spot. But I think the theme of River Country was great, and obviously the Fort Wilderness area is the perfect setting for that theme.

mp2bill

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I just noticed this one, so I figured I'd comment in case people are still reading this thread.

I think the rule would be do quick search for the topic, if you dont find it make a new thread. Some people just take things so serious here..

The only problem with doing a search for a topic is that it'll bring up all the threads that even mention a certain subject. For instance, I recently posted a new thread discussing the fact that the WDW website still has the old monorail pics up in which the beam has not been refurbished. I did a search for "Monorail beam refurb" and it brought up 19 pages of results. Thus, I quickly ready the first dozen or so thread titles and then started my own.

Luckily, no other thread had brought up the same exact issue, so I was in the clear. In my opinion, if somebody is annoyed at a a duplicate thread, they can just pass it by. I don't know why people feel the need to even make mention that the subject has already been covered (unless they're just posting a link to the previous thread).

As for the answer to the question as to why River Country was shut down, I was told it was because Florida passed a state law saying that all water parks must get their water supply from a municipal source. And...since River Country got it's water from Bay Lake, it got shut down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom