When did Disneyland “peak,” if at all?

Donald Duck 25

I recently was thinking about most of Disney’s parks and how a lot of people think that they have been going downhill with decisions, often pointing to better times and times when the parks had “peaked.”
This got me thinking... Epcot and MK peaked in the mid to late 1990’s, Animal Kingdom Peaked just afternoon Avatar opened, but before entertainment got cut (late 2017-2018), Studios depends on who you talk to, and DCA peaked when Grizzly Airfield got done but before Tower closed.
But Disneyland... while there have been additions and retractions over the years, I can’t think of any significant change, that didn’t come with a big enough benefit to warrant the change or generally detract from the park.
It makes me wonder, did Disneyland peak, or is it still on an upward trajectory?
I hear the pirates ride in the late1970's was pretty epic.

*Q*

Epcot and MK peaked in the mid to late 1990’s
EPCOT peaked in 1991-1992 after the International Gateway opened but before they started changing CommuniCore and some of the other original Future World pavilions.

Magic Kingdom... probably 1993 after Splash Mountain opened but before 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea closed.

And as for Disneyland, of course the Spring and Summer of 1995. Indy was brand new, Fantasmic and Toontown were still relatively fresh, the PeopleMover was open, you still barely had the promise of WestCOT Center ahead, and I think that's about the time of peak Disneyland Hotel, too. Just imagine if the Skyway had hung on another year and they'd added the music to Space Mountain a year earlier, 1995 would've been unstoppable.

Okee68

A few people have already suggested this, but my vote goes explicitly to 1969. Aside from simply being a time well before any of the major attractions in the park had been removed, and long before IP attractions started replacing actual theming, and before Disney began its descent into the greedy, abhorrent megacorporation we all know it as today, 1969 is when The Haunted Mansion had just opened, and New Tomorrowland was still fresh and not outdated in any real capacity.

Now, Disneyland obviously wasn't perfect in 1969 either; Fantasyland and the interior of the Matterhorn still looked pretty hideous for instance, and there were still a few non-IP greats which weren't around yet, such as the Country Bears, Space Mountain, and Big Thunder. Of those, however, it was only Country Bears which actually existed during a time in which no major attractions had yet been replaced with something of lesser thematic relevance (America Sings replaced Carrousel of Progress in 1974), but even by the time Country Bears opened in 1972, Tomorrowland '67 was just that much more dated, even if on a negligible scale. In that sense, I guess 1972 is kind of even with '69, as one more great attraction had been added while one whole themed area was slightly more dated.

Last edited:

Miru

A few people have already suggested this, but my vote goes explicitly to 1969. Aside from simply being a time well before any of the major attractions in the park had been removed, and long before IP attractions started replacing actual theming, and before Disney began its descent into the greedy, abhorrent megacorporation we all it as know today, 1969 is when The Haunted Mansion had just opened, and New Tomorrowland was still fresh and not outdated in any real capacity.

Now, Disneyland obviously wasn't perfect in 1969 either; Fantasyland and the interior of the Matterhorn still looked pretty hideous for instance, and there were still a few non-IP greats which weren't around yet, such as the Country Bears, Space Mountain, and Big Thunder. Of those, however, it was only Country Bears which actually existed during a time in which no major attractions had yet been replaced with something of lesser thematic relevance (America Sings replaced Carrousel of Progress in 1974), but even by the time Country Bears opened in 1972, Tomorrowland '67 was just that much more dated, even if on a negligible scale. In that sense, I guess 1972 is kind of even with '69, as one more great attraction had been added while one whole themed area was slightly more dated.
Well, I will resist the “OK boomer” meme, since I know many kind-hearted boomers, and instead analyze this critically.
There have been plenty of perfectly good IP rides; Splash Mountain, Star Tours, Indiana Jones Adventure, Radiator Springs Racers, Navi River Journey... on the other hand, many others are mediocre (Incredicoaster, Smuggler’s Run, Slinky Dog Dash, Beauty and the Beast Enchanted Journey, etc) or even poor to awful (Emotional Whirlwind, Stitch’s Great Escape, Launch Bay). Pixar Pier is also an example of a terrible IP land, failing where Pandora succeeded. The same applies to original attractions; in fact some of the worst Disney attractions were original, such as Habit Heroes and Superstar Limo, as were many of the best like Horizons.
From there; a few attractions of that era were in somewhat poor shape, such as Alice, and they would improve over the years. Character costumes were of a better quality than in the years prior, but would improve in design and variety in the late 1980s. I’m still sticking by 2012 as the peak. Any notable dining experiences in 1969?
I'd say the park peaked in 1959, when the Matterhorn, the tallest peak in the park, was built.
Hahahahaha! This made me chuckle here.

Darkbeer1

Well, I will resist the “OK boomer” meme, since I know many kind-hearted boomers, and instead analyze this critically.
There have been plenty of perfectly good IP rides; Splash Mountain, Star Tours, Indiana Jones Adventure, Radiator Springs Racers, Navi River Journey... on the other hand, many others are mediocre (Incredicoaster, Smuggler’s Run, Slinky Dog Dash, Beauty and the Beast Enchanted Journey, etc) or even poor to awful (Emotional Whirlwind, Stitch’s Great Escape, Launch Bay). Pixar Pier is also an example of a terrible IP land, failing where Pandora succeeded. The same applies to original attractions; in fact some of the worst Disney attractions were original, such as Habit Heroes and Superstar Limo, as were many of the best like Horizons.
From there; a few attractions of that era were in somewhat poor shape, such as Alice, and they would improve over the years. Character costumes were of a better quality than in the years prior, but would improve in design and variety in the late 1980s. I’m still sticking by 2012 as the peak. Any notable dining experiences in 1969?

The thread is discussing Disneyland Park, located in Anaheim, California.

Not the Disney Parks.

Okee68

I was born in 2001, lol. I just happen to envision the ideal Disneyland as one in which there are no IP-based attractions outside of Fantasyland's traditional animated film fare. There's an unmatched type of charm to be found in IP-free Disney theming, which was 100% prevalent throughout almost the entirety of either of the American parks until the eighties and nineties, when the very first modern, non-Fantasyland IP attractions creeped in. The original lands were built around timeless locations and featured timeless adventures and scenery, for the most part at least. The only exception was of course Tomorrowland, but even then, the concept of the future is very broad and holds the potential for so many unique and creative experiences, which Disney in the Eisner and Iger eras has clearly preferred to waste on Buzz Lightyear, Stitch, and Monsters Inc.

Modern themed sections in Disney parks are based solely around popular franchises (essentially slowly-fleeting fads that eventually nobody will care about) which provide no room for original, unfamiliar experiences. Furthermore, IP attractions that are added to the traditional, broadly-themed lands diminish the aesthetic and thematic value of those areas, as instead of being immersed in a whimsical and believable place the whole way through, you are faced at some point with an anachronistic icon of popular culture where there should be something timeless and far less meatheaded.

Attractions such as the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and Space Mountain are iconic works of creative genius and have defined Disney parks for many decades. The Imagineers had unique visions and went all out with them, creating original experiences that newcomers can never truly anticipate. Original attractions like those would ever be allowed today, of course, as they aren't arbitrarily tied to a familiar property, despite the fact that they have proven to be among the most beloved theme park attractions of all time, and that it's nearly impossible to imagine the state of Disney parks without them.

We have at least gotten occasional glimpses of modern-era original attractions, such as Mystic Manor, but they are few and far in between.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

IP in and of itself doesn't degrade the quality or thematic legitimacy of an attraction.

Indiana Jones is an IP that is as adventure as adventure can get- and the attraction is a perfect fit for Adventureland.

Designing an attraction around traditional African folklore makes Splash Mountain a far richer experience then a generic log flume.

Miru

I was born in 2001, lol. I just happen to envision the ideal Disneyland as one in which there are no IP-based attractions outside of Fantasyland's traditional animated film fare. There's an unmatched charm to be found in IP-free Disney theming, which was 100% prevalent throughout almost the entirety of either of the American parks until the eighties and nineties, when the very first modern, non-Fantasyland IP attractions creeped in. The original lands were built around timeless locations and featured timeless adventures and scenery, for the most part at least. The only exception was of course Tomorrowland, but even then, the concept of the future is very broad and holds the potential for so many unique and creative experiences, which Disney in the Iger era has clearly preferred to waste on Buzz Lightyear, Stitch, and Monsters Inc.

Modern themed sections in Disney parks are based solely around popular franchises (essentially slowly-fleeting fads that eventually nobody will care about) which provide no room for original, unfamiliar experiences. Furthermore, IP attractions that are added to the traditional, broadly-themed lands diminish the aesthetic and thematic value of those areas, as instead of being immersed in a whimsical and believable place the whole way through, you are faced at some point with an anachronistic icon of popular culture where there should be something timeless and far less meatheaded.

Attractions such as the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and Space Mountain are iconic works of creative genius and have defined Disney parks for many decades. The Imagineers had unique visions and went all out with them, creating original experiences that newcomers can never truly anticipate. Original attractions like those would ever be allowed today, of course, as they aren't arbitrarily tied to a familiar property, despite the fact that they have proven to be the most beloved theme park attractions of all time, and that it's nearly impossible to imagine the state of Disney parks without them.

We have at least gotten occasional glimpses of modern-era original attractions, such as Mystic Manor, but they are few and far in between.
Cool! Maybe you could post your ideas for an ideal Disney park experience over in the Imagineering forum. I’d love to hear them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom