Wheelchair question

bailey5697

Original Poster
We are traveling with a 90 year old man that is literally in great shape. He continues to shovel snow, dig holes, plant in the garden, carry heavy items, he is truly amazing. He does however get tired FASTER then everyone else.
When I asked him about a wheelchair for Disney, his comeback was that as long as his legs worked he was not sitting down to have someone push him. Amazing. :lookaroun
My question is:
Can you just get them at anytime at the main entrance of the parks? If he walks for several hours and is not ready to leave, can I just run and get one?
And my sisters question is if Grandpa IS in a wheelchair, do we get to go to the front of the line? :lol:

WDWSwashbuckler

Well, i have a weird progressive form of muscular distrophy so I should be able to answer this one for ya, seeing that I sometimes have to use a wheelchair during my visits. You can just run to the front of the parks at any time of the day and grab a wheelchair, but they do cost a minor amount of money (like four bucks i think) and you can have it for the day. If you need to go to another park, they'll just give you a slip of paper that you carry to the other park and they'll give you another one for the day. As to getting in front of the lines, they used to do this alot more often, but they still do it in alot of rides. Sometimes you have to wait for about 1/4 of the line then go through another entrance to get in, but fair is fair, i guess. Happy vacation!!

Irrawaddy Erik

Wheelchairs are avalible for rent at anytime but durring extreamlly busy times I have seen them run out (this was only like 4th of July and Christmas) But yes you can get them anytime you need them.

With getting to the front of the line with a wheelchair. It depends on the particular attraction ask a greeter each attraction and they will be able to explain it to you. Some attractions you will be told to get a fastpass and return through the fastpass line, some you will go through the exit and some you will have to wait the normal queue. Also if the person in the wheelchair does not ride then your party will have to wait the normal queue. Hope that helps.

Yellow Shoes

I think the front of the line thing was from when the queues weren't wheelchair-friendly.

Little by little the queues are more accommodating. If that is the case, you will wait in line like everyone else. I think that Epcot is better than MK--and Fantasyland is the most difficult in a wheelchair.

Sounds like your travel companion is independent enough that he wouldn't want special treatment anyway.

FLcastmember

It depends on the attraction, they are ALL different. Here are the ones i know of for sure, as i work in this area...

Big Thunder Mtn.....if its busy, you have to get a FP or see a CM for a RETURN CARD, then use this or your FP at the exit.
If its not busy, just go to the exit and get right on.

Splash....both lines are Handicap accesable. When you get to the stairs (or the barn doors, depending on how busy we are) you will be pulled out of the Queue and sent to the exit. A good rule of thumb is if the line is over 25 min, get a FP, but if its less then 25 min, you will get pulled out of line with little wait, as a 25 min wait at splash is backed up just to the stairs anyway.
NEVER go directly to the exit, we will not be able to take you from there.

Country Bear Jamboree...Seperate door to the left of the main entrance. You will get to sit up front, but will still have to wait to the next show.

Tom Sawyers....you can go over in a chair, but i dont recomend it.

Just ask the CM at the entrance to all others, they will explain the policy.

HAVE FUN!!!

Eljay

I'm not sure if you've been to WDW or not, but there are literally miles of walking. No exaggeration. Another option is to rent an electric scooter. I think they are $35 or so. That way he could be a little more independent. I admire his ambition!
Have Fun!

SpongeScott

Another thought is to go ahead and rent a wheelchair at the beginning of the day to insure that you will have one (in case they rent them all). Also, if you go to EPCOT, where you will do the most walking and you are in the World Showcase anywhere, it's a haul to go back and get a chair. If he doesn't use the chair right away, you can put bags, gifts, etc. in the chair and push them around. I know of his determination--my father is 79 and refused one to begin with, but as the day wore on we had to get him one.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by bailey5697
Can you just get them at anytime at the main entrance of the parks? If he walks for several hours and is not ready to leave, can I just run and get one?
My M-I-L (1st timer to WDW) walks with the aid of a stick - she is normally pretty mobile. But, knowing the sort of distances that we're likely to walk each day in the parks we will be getting a chair upon entry (to ensure that they don't run out). If she decides to walk for a while then its always some thing to carry the backpacks in.

BUZZ BABE 34

WHEELCHAIR GUESTS

I WORK IN TOMORROWLAND AT BUZZ . THE REGULAR LINE FOR BUZZ IS ACCESSIBLE FOR WHEELCHAIRS. THE ONLY PEOPLE WE TAKE THROUGH THE EXIT ARE MAKE-A-WISH ,ECT.

TTA IS NOT WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE.

CARROUSEL WHEN OPEN IS WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE.

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

:) :) :)

CMTinkerBell

The regular push wheelchairs rent for $8.00 a day ( you get a Disney Dollar refund when you are done for the day). The receipt will get you a wheelchair in all 4 of the theme parks for the same day. The electric wheelchairs (ECV) rent for $40 a day (you get $10 cash back once you are done). These are transferable to all 4 theme parks based on availability. It would be easy for you to get a push wheelchair, but if you want the ECV, he should be with you since there is a waiver he would need to sign, since he is the one driving it. The new ECV are sort of slow, so it might be easier to get a push wheelchair. The main rental areas for all 4 of the parks in is the front. I think in Epcot you can rent them from the Gateway area in World Showcase. Hope this helps in addition to the other info!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom