Wheelchair Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtoad

barnum42 said:
Any so you would after waiting in the same queue as all the other guests - as I have repeated on numerous occasions - simply being in a wheelchair is not a licence in itself to queue jump. It's only if someone has issues beyond a simple inability to stand for any period that a guest assistance card is issued, though you may be split up if going to a wheelchair viewing area for a parade, as they are few and far between and do not have room for many chairs.

No I understand that. It was just that it was stated that they only allow you to bring up to six guests with you through any special lines if the normal ones don't accept a wheelchair to get through. I think in those cases to split up a family is just wrong.

I agree with you on what you have said. :)

Becky

shoppingnut said:
when they hand out the cards for the line jump, QUOTE]

It's time to yell. WHAT LINE JUMP!?

Some of you must not be reading these posts or watching what really happens at WDW. :lookaroun Maybe you just want something to gripe about. Get over it and go to WDW to enjoy life not to look for one person out of a thousand who abuses rules. :zipit:

For almost all rides and attractions wheelchair users e.g. persons with a disability wait as long or longer than everyone else.

This is my last post on this subject as no minds will be changed either way on this thread :brick: I said it once before and here it is again- If you are lucky enough to live a long life you WILL become a person with a disability. Our bodies do wear out.

Now that I have cooled down, I wish all of you wonderful experiences at WDW where tha magic DOES truely live. :) :)

shoppingnut

Becky said:
shoppingnut said:
when they hand out the cards for the line jump, QUOTE]

It's time to yell. WHAT LINE JUMP!?

Some of you must not be reading these posts or watching what really happens at WDW. :lookaroun Maybe you just want something to gripe about. Get over it and go to WDW to enjoy life not to look for one person out of a thousand who abuses rules. :zipit:

For almost all rides and attractions wheelchair users e.g. persons with a disability wait as long or longer than everyone else.

This is my last post on this subject as no minds will be changed either way on this thread :brick: I said it once before and here it is again- If you are lucky enough to live a long life you WILL become a person with a disability. Our bodies do wear out.

Now that I have cooled down, I wish all of you wonderful experiences at WDW where tha magic DOES truely live. :) :)

First of all maybe I used the wrong word "line jump" but meant priority access. Get a grip on yourself, abuses happen and people who follow the rules get mad when they think about the abuse.

Second, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH PEOPLE IN WHEELCHAIRS GAINING ACCESS TO THE RIDES WHETHER IT QUICKER OR NOT, NOR DOES IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO ME ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. ALL I STATED IS WHAT UNIVERSAL DOES BECAUSE IT WAS BUILT IN A DIFFERENT ERA AND THE COMPLAINTS THEY GET BECAUSE IT ISN'T LIKE DISNEY. THIS IS A FACT.

If I do live long enough to need a wheelchair so be it, but I hope by then the states will change the laws so that assisted suicide is acceptable.

DisneyFreak529

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH PEOPLE IN WHEELCHAIRS GAINING ACCESS TO THE RIDES WHETHER IT QUICKER OR NOT, NOR DOES IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO ME ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. ALL I STATED IS WHAT UNIVERSAL DOES BECAUSE IT WAS BUILT IN A DIFFERENT ERA AND THE COMPLAINTS THEY GET BECAUSE IT ISN'T LIKE DISNEY. THIS IS A FACT.
I totally agree with you. I think that if they let 3-4 people jump or hop ahead I don't think it's gona effect my weight time by anything longer then a minute.

I agree, we should be so lucky we can walk on our own with out help!!!

barnum42

mrtoad said:
No I understand that. It was just that it was stated that they only allow you to bring up to six guests with you through any special lines if the normal ones don't accept a wheelchair to get through. I think in those cases to split up a family is just wrong.
If you've waited in the regular queue up till that point, then I agree with you.

barnum42

DisneyFreak529 said:
(Edit by Barnum42) As original quote has been edited, I thought it a good idea to remove it from here
That's pointing down a slippery slope of religious interpritations! Probably best to draw a line under that thread drift.

bsandersjr

I Understand that some people NEED them. But the worst abuse I have seen was when we waited for the bus as EPCOT closed. One group rolled up front, got out of the chair, walked on to the bus, and left the chair.
As you know, after a long day running around, and waiting over 45minutes to get on a bus, If I had it my way, they would end up really needing that chair.
:drevil:

momto3grr8tkids

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 1120861" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>bsandersjr</TD><TD class=alt2>I Understand that some people NEED them. But the worst abuse I have seen was when we waited for the bus as EPCOT closed. One group rolled up front, got out of the chair, walked on to the bus, and left the chair.
As you know, after a long day running around, and waiting over 45minutes to get on a bus, If I had it my way, they would end up really needing that chair.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

See now you are one of those making assumptions about what others need kind of people.

As I posted earlier in the thread, my youngest daughter has juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. You can see her and not have any idea that she has an autoimmune disease that causes her extreme pain. We have to get her a chair at disney since she doesn't normally use one because she doesn't walk nearly as much. And yep when it is time to go, we are that group that gets wheeled up to the front of the line and boarded while leaving the wheelchair behind. The CMs have always been wonderful about it because she can't stand and wait in the line that long.

My advice to you is to NEVER judge others. It may not look like there is anything wrong with someone but you will never know without walking in their shoes.

It is people like you that make others feel bad when there is NO reason too. It is people like you who can ruin my children's wonderful day by making ASSUMPTIONS and stupid comments!

mrtoad

bsandersjr said:
I Understand that some people NEED them. But the worst abuse I have seen was when we waited for the bus as EPCOT closed. One group rolled up front, got out of the chair, walked on to the bus, and left the chair.
As you know, after a long day running around, and waiting over 45minutes to get on a bus, If I had it my way, they would end up really needing that chair.
:drevil:

If you really were trying to say something really mean and stupid you pulled off big time. Congratulations! :sohappy:

bsandersjr

No, I was not trying to be mean or offend anyone here. If I have, I am deeply sorry. The point is, aggrivation takes over after a long day at the park. I have arthritis in my ankles, and my surgically repaired knees, so I have a small idea of what the poor little girls goes through. And yes, you have nailed it, I was not taking the "unseen" into consideration. Sorry.

mrtoad

bsandersjr said:
No, I was not trying to be mean or offend anyone here. If I have, I am deeply sorry. The point is, aggrivation takes over after a long day at the park. I have arthritis in my ankles, and my surgically repaired knees, so I have a small idea of what the poor little girls goes through. And yes, you have nailed it, I was not taking the "unseen" into consideration. Sorry.

I understand, and forgive. :)

But I am unsubscribing from this thread as it is getting nowhere...

momto3grr8tkids

Thank you for your apology. I just get so upset because it is that same attitude that has caused nasty remarks to be said to and about my family. It just really makes me angry because my children deserve to have a wonderful time and not deal with people, who out of tiredness or lack of compassion for others, strike out at us because they think we are getting over on something.

Ralph Wiggum

Account Suspended
our 11 year old daughter also has JRA, but not bad enough to require the use of a wheelchair at the parks. but I can see it as a case of a normal looking kid sitting in a wheelchair. we did use one last year when she broke bones in her foot. CM's and characters were wonderful to her. we never got preferential treatment in lines except for space mountain, where we used the fastpass line due to the stairs. I was pretty aware of her wheelchair and it's surroundings, and it seemed idiots were cutting us off or jumping in front of us. having way too many close calls with people using strollers as bulldozers I stayed pretty alert with the chair every time we were there. I've concluded that there's always going to be a percentage of people that don't belong out in public. but what do you do?

DisneyFreak529

It just really makes me angry because my children deserve to have a wonderful time and not deal with people,

It's like some one said earlier. We should be worry about our selfs and making our own trip as memorible as possible in stead of worring about who is cheatting the system or who needs a chair and who doesn't. If we get mad we only ruine our day at WDW or our trip. It's better to just keep a positive additude and make your trip as great as you can for your family and you.

Dwarful

Back to post about the bus and people dumping their wheelchairs. This is exactly where I think Disney is failing everyone. At the end of the night people are really tired and some people do and say stupid things when they are tired. We saw four men get into a HUGE Brawl at the Pop bus at MK one night because someone thought someone was cutting line (no wheelchairs involved here but lots of blood)...but my point is that wheelchairs or no wheelchairs everyone should wait in the horrible awful line at the end of the night to board the buses. If no wheelchairs are near the front line when the next available bus comes then the bus fills to standing cap. w/o any wheelchairs. I think at that point in the evening everyone should wait...esp. at the value resorts where long lines for buses tend to be the norm at park closing.

I would never say anything to anyone about being in a wheelchair. My nephew had to use a wheelchair during our '04 visit, he had just completed knee surgery at 14 yrs of age, we had no snide remarks or mean comments. We did have a big grand gathering and for things like the parade area and a few rides we were split up, but that wasn't a big deal, you can only fit so many people into a ride seat anyway right.

AEfx

Dwarful said:
We saw four men get into a HUGE Brawl at the Pop bus at MK one night because someone thought someone was cutting line (no wheelchairs involved here but lots of blood)...

OT, but man...I hope those four men got arrested and spent a nice night in the local jail and weren't welcome back at WDW.

People that get into fistfights over a bus at Disney World...words cannot express how wrong that is.

AEfx

weluvtink

I hate the fact that the parks will rent a wheelchair to anyone who's willing to pay for it, instead of saving them for the people who actually need one.

We went down about 5 months after my mom had a heart attack. She got the ok from her doctor to travel and got a little note to show if she decided she needed a wheelchair. We went to MK, maybe an hour after opening, and they were already out of chairs. They sent us over to the first aid station and they gave her one for the day for free, since she had a letter from her doctor.
We were not interested in line jumping and believe me, it's much easier to get around the parks without a wheelchair.

barnum42

weluvtink said:
I hate the fact that the parks will rent a wheelchair to anyone who's willing to pay for it, instead of saving them for the people who actually need one.
It's a tricky thing - how are they supposed to verify an individual's need for the chair?

On the plus side of your story, I'm really happy to read that despite having run out of rentals, they were able to provide one due to the doctor's note. You have to give Disney kudos for that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom