What's your experience renting DVC points?

Missing20K

Be warned, studios at BLT are the smallest I think. We always book 1 beds, but I hear the studios are cramped, depending on how many people will be in a room.
Two adults, a toddler and a baby. I hope it would be big enough, I know a Pop sized room would be wayyy too small.

The baby is the biggest reason we would like BLT so we could potentially walk.

aliceismad

Two adults, a toddler and a baby. I hope it would be big enough, I know a Pop sized room would be wayyy too small.

The baby is the biggest reason we would like BLT so we could potentially walk.
Here's a link to a list of room sizes. https://dvcinfo.com/dvc-information/resort-information/dvc-room-inventory/

The baby would be in a pack n play/crib? The toddler could sleep in pullout couch, or just on the couch without pulling it out. If you google, you can find the floorplan and pics.

Missing20K

Here's a link to a list of room sizes. https://dvcinfo.com/dvc-information/resort-information/dvc-room-inventory/

The baby would be in a pack n play/crib? The toddler could sleep in pullout couch, or just on the couch without pulling it out. If you google, you can find the floorplan and pics.
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.g.../bay-lake-tower-at-contemporary/points-rooms/

Floor plans are here. I think it would be OK. There will be a pack n play ( or you just ask for it if it’s not in the closet).
I did see the floorplans and square footage so I was pretty sure the size was ok.

I did not, however, know that they provided a pack'n'play, that's fantastic.

Thanks for the info!

Weather_Lady

I did see the floorplans and square footage so I was pretty sure the size was ok.

Thanks for the info!

This list of DVC studio amenities may help in your planning. (There's also a link, top left of the linked page, for the amenities lists for 1 and 2-bedroom villas.) http://allears.net/walt-disney-world/wdw-accommodation/disney-vacation-club-studio-amenity-list/

As far as room size, it really can make a difference depending on how many sleeping spaces you plan to use. In looking at floor plans, give some thought to just where you'd put the Pack 'n Play, whether your toddler would be okay on the sofa without folding it out, and how much space an unfolded sofa/Murphy bed will take up. Then think about where you'll put your luggage and store clothes, etc.

When we stayed at the Beach Club, we needed to fold out all of the studio's sleeping spaces in our studio (Murphy bed, plus the sofa) and find room for the displaced sofa cushions, coffee table and chairs. Doing so blocked our access to the balcony and to every drawer in the room (except for the one in the nightstand), deprived us of any usable table space (as the table folds up under the Murphy bed) and took up nearly all the floor space. In order to move about, we had to hop from one piece of furniture to the next, in a perpetual game of "the floor is lava," and had to live out of our suitcases since we couldn't open any drawers.

On the other hand, when we stayed at the Polynesian in a much-larger studio, every sleeping space could be utilized and we still had a ton of room to walk around, had full access to the table and chairs and storage areas, and of course, could make use of that luxurious extra 3/4 bath. (Granted, this came at a price: our Polynesian stay cost about $400/night, compared with $250/night for the Beach Club.)

Obviously, the smaller studios are a great value, and I wouldn't discourage anyone from staying in them, but you will want to thoughtfully consider how you plan to use the room and what you'll need to store there, and think about that when selecting a room and formulating your packing list.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, pack ‘n’ plays are available at all DVC resorts.

At some resorts, especially where there are non-DVC rooms, you can get a crib. But this isn’t always guaranteed, whereas they should always have a pack ‘n’ play available.

Last edited:

correcaminos

Yeah, pack ‘n’ plays are available at all DVC resorts. No cribs though, although sometimes people have been able to request them at resorts like BCV where they are available for non-DVC rooms. So never rely on a crib, 99% of the time the answer will be “no”.

I wouldn't say that about cribs. In fact I would say almost the opposite about the answer being no. A place like BLT has them available. OKW was the questionable one. I saw mixed on responses for that. I did not personally stay at OKW while needing one. However, I have traveled a lot with a small one who couldn't do a bed, but too big for a pack n play. My average is 100% in getting one when requested.

There are also companies that rent cribs if you want one. Pack n plays for ours beyond the age of like 4 or 5 months wasn't an option. They just were not comfortable.

nickys

Premium Member
I wouldn't say that about cribs. In fact I would say almost the opposite about the answer being no. A place like BLT has them available. OKW was the questionable one. I saw mixed on responses for that. I did not personally stay at OKW while needing one. However, I have traveled a lot with a small one who couldn't do a bed, but too big for a pack n play. My average is 100% in getting one when requested.

There are also companies that rent cribs if you want one. Pack n plays for ours beyond the age of like 4 or 5 months wasn't an option. They just were not comfortable.

Fair enough, I stand corrected!

Edited reply above for clarity.

Jedi Osborn

Hi guys, I'm new to this DVC idea and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. If I understand this David site correctly, I need to send them my trip information, and a deposit then they determine if there are points available for me to rent?
Looking at the rates for a room at the Polynesian, theyre considerably cheaper than the current May discounts being offered. Is it too late to try for one of those rooms?

correcaminos

Hi guys, I'm new to this DVC idea and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. If I understand this David site correctly, I need to send them my trip information, and a deposit then they determine if there are points available for me to rent?
Looking at the rates for a room at the Polynesian, theyre considerably cheaper than the current May discounts being offered. Is it too late to try for one of those rooms?
Pretty much. Only a night here or there in both views.

ctcdisneymama

Original Poster
I've rented points for 3 stays now - all through David's Vacation rentals - and it's been a uniformly seamless experience. We don't mind the lack of housekeeping (I actually appreciate the added privacy and the chance to nap in the afternoon with no fear of an interruption), and we plan our vacations more than a year out with no changes in dates, so the lack of flexibility is okay with us, too.

In short, I agree with everything @CaptainAmerica mentioned in his post, although for my family, the things he mentioned as detractors are either positives or non-issues. I would, however, qualify his comments about savings. The amount of savings depends on the room category you're booking. We've only rented studios (at the Polynesian and Beach Club) or 2-bedroom villas (at Wilderness Lodge), and have saved 40-50% off of rack rate for those accommodations every single time -- far more than we'd have saved even with the most generous room discount offer -- even though we've always booked at 11 months out and therefore paid a "premium" rate. Those who rent 1-bedrooms, however, only save a little, the way the points are calculated.

We've loved renting DVC points, as it has allowed us to stay at deluxe hotels on a moderate budget. We do purchase vacation insurance to cover the costs when/if we have a longer stay or are traveling with other family members, given the non-refundability of the price.

Between Poly and Beach club (since you said you've stayed at both) which one do you prefer?

Weather_Lady

Between Poly and Beach club (since you said you've stayed at both) which one do you prefer?

That's a hard question to answer, as the nightly price ($250/BC and $400/Poly) was so different.

If I had my druthers, I'd choose the Polynesian every time. Everything about it -- the room size and amenities, the decor, the theming, the restaurants, the outdoor views, the pool, the access to transportation - was better at the Poly than at the Beach Club, or at least, was more to our liking. (I realize the pool comment would baffle most, as the Beach Club's Stormalong Bay is considered one of the best on property, but honestly, we were unimpressed -- it's too spread-out, the giant fence surrounding it is inconvenient and an eyesore, the slides are in an entirely different fenced area across a walkway from the rest of the complex, and the layout is confusing and doesn't allow you to keep eyes on your kids as they bounce between the pool, sand area, lazy river and slides. In contrast, the Polynesian pool, while much smaller and sans many of the bells and whistles, was beautiful and actually relaxing. YMMV.) We also found the Beach Club studios to be so cramped (for our party of 4) as to be almost non-functional in terms of space and storage, while the Poly studios were spacious and much more thoughtfully designed -- you could fold out the sofa, fold down the Murphy bed, and still have plenty of space to move, a useable table and chairs, and full access to all storage spaces and the balcony/patio. The extra 3/4 bath was also a huge plus.

However, $400/night (that was during a non-peak season, too) is a lot of money for most families. It certainly is for mine, which is why we split our Poly stay with the much less-expensive Beach Club. I was still really glad we stayed at the Polynesian, though, and if we had the cash, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. (As it is, I'm a federal employee, currently working full-time for no pay, scared to death that we're going to end up losing our home if this situation persists, and forbidden to take any leave -- not even for bereavement or a medical emergency, let alone a luxurious vacation -- so I'm feeling especially wistful and sad about the fact that just a year or so ago, we were able to splurge on a couple of nights in paradise. I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but if I seem overly focused on the cost differences between the two resorts, that's why...)

Last edited:

correcaminos

For those that have stayed at Poly and Beach Club, what did you like about it? We've narrowed it down to those two.
I prefer PVB. Better views, bigger rooms (assuming studios), better food options and transportation as a whole, and better pool options.

We're also ones who don't love SAB because its overcrowded and small for the main part for those who want to actually be in the pool. Too spread out as well and the slide location stinks. Better bar service and food near by at Polynesian

Lastly the 2nd shower at PVB is phenomenal.

FCivish3

I've never been the Rentee, only the owner who is renting out the points. I have rented points out through Davids's, DVC-Rental Store and one other agency, and had absolutely no problems with any of them. I have rented points out many times directly to people on these boards, without David's or DVC-Rentals as middle men, and again, had absolutely no problem. Some of these rentals were even very short notice, such as a few weeks. The people I rented to were pleasant and always easy to work with. I tell people when they rent from me that there are no refunds, but if their plans change, I will do my best to try to meet their needs, with NO guarantees. The result is that I have cut stays down for some people, extended stays for some people, moved reservations to a different resort, and added new days at a different resort. I have arranged for Disney Dining Plan and for Magical Express. I think my Renters had a good experience and saved money, and from my end it was always pleasant and worthwhile.

mf1972

never rented before, but i’m looking at the boardwalk villa for my wife & I. my october dates for a 10 day stay gave me a price of $1944 through david’s.
my question is how can i add the dining plan to it & do i have to buy park tickets separately & link it to DME? thanks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom