What's up with Indy?

75disney

I rode Indy for the first time in 18 years last week. I remember really liking it back then, but I was very unimpressed this time. I didn't really get the storyline; the effects were really difficult to see (I was in the back row middle seat). I felt like I got whipped and jerked around for no reason. Also, we tried to do the interactive elements in the queue that I had read about, and none of them worked. Since I am unfamiliar with the ride, I can't weigh in about what effects were missing, but I was sadly disappointed in the ride.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Indy is definitely showing its age.
For a while prior to the most recent refurb, it was fairly likely that you'd get stuck towards the end. I recall one instance of sitting at the edge of the climax under a swinging Indy for a good 3 minutes. Totally eerie too without the music or sfx.

I like how they've updated the Mara scene, but I am in agreement that the rest of the ride could use some tlc. The bug crawling projections have ALWAYS looked out of focus to me. Never cared for the rat on tree projection either (when it worked), and always thought they could have added something to the dark winding tunnel.

It's still one of my favorites, and the queue with its effects (when reset in time for you to pass through) give it the true sense of immersion you want from a big E-ticket.

mickEblu

I would like to see some "Alice in Wonderland" / "BTMMR" type enhancements and for a few of the lesser quality scenes to be rethought or redone.

Basically if Mara, the main room w/ bridge and boulder/ drop are still there im cool.

Oh ya sound track, can't forget about that.

George Lucas on a Bench

I want it to be more about Indiana Jones, not random phobia and temple references. I think that's my issue when you get down to it. The idea of an IJ ride seemed amazing but when I rode it I saw a guy who sounded nothing like Indy dangling over the car like a weirdo while these vaguely IJ-esque things occur. Look, a boulder and spear sound effects accompanying air blasts! Cue the music! Wait, why is it a giant cartoon Jafar snake? It's Disney, screw it!

shortstop

I want it to be more about Indiana Jones, not random phobia and temple references. I think that's my issue when you get down to it. The idea of an IJ ride seemed amazing but when I rode it I saw a guy who sounded nothing like Indy dangling over the car like a weirdo while these vaguely IJ-esque things occur. Look, a boulder and spear sound effects accompanying air blasts! Cue the music! Wait, why is it a giant cartoon Jafar snake? It's Disney, screw it!
You bring up an interesting point. How is it that they haven't gotten Harrison Ford to do the audio for this ride? It would take maybe 20 minutes for him to record.

mickEblu

Wait, why is it a giant cartoon Jafar snake? It's Disney, screw it!

Lol. The snake is by the far the worst. Followed by the rat projection, air blasts and bugs. But to me it feels like Indiana Jones. If you think about it, the way Baxter and imagineers treated the Indy IP is the same way the current imagineers are treating Star Wars Land at DL.

George Lucas on a Bench

I don't know about that. If IJA was done in the way they're doing Star Wars, that death trap room with the spikes would literally trap you in there with Indy and Short Round while the truck out front transported people through the jungle in a Nazi chase that armed you with a gun to help Indy murder legions of guys and retrieve the Ark, which would open just like in Raiders and murder people while causing the whole land to light up and explode every half hour.

Phroobar

You bring up an interesting point. How is it that they haven't gotten Harrison Ford to do the audio for this ride? It would take maybe 20 minutes for him to record.
If I remember correctly Harrison Ford was all set to do the recording then he was offended by someone and the deal was off. I think it was Eisner.

180º

If I remember correctly Harrison Ford was all set to do the recording then he was offended by someone and the deal was off. I think it was Eisner.
I thought it was some intern or other who didn't get the memo that Harrison threatened to walk away for good if he was pestered about it one more time. It sounds like a joke, but I honestly heard this was reason.

On a different subject, I know I should praise the chamber of destiny/hall of promise upgrades, but I prefer the old version. It used to be more subtle and restrained, there wasn't such a cacophony of sound effects, and it made a big difference when it was actually lit by lights and not mapped over by a CG cartoon.

George Lucas on a Bench

Legend has it Disney's complete and utter embarrassment of a Super Bowl halftime show in 1995, which was an advertisement for the Indiana Jones Adventure (!), caused Harrison Ford to disassociate himself from the ride. It's why he only appears briefly in a photograph in the preshow. Viewer discretion is advised. It's what happens when they give Indiana Jones the Haunted Mansion Holiday treatment.

The Super Bowl halftime show wouldn't be redeemed until Prince performed "Purple Rain" in the rain.

mickEblu

All this Indy talk got me thinking... Indy was the last time we were really wowed by a new attraction, at least on the West Coast. And maybe Soarin to an extent too. Hopefully, the new Star Wars battle escape attraction does the same thing.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

All this Indy talk got me thinking... Indy was the last time we we're really wowed by a new attraction, at least on the West Coast. And maybe Soarin to an extent too. Hopefully, the new Star Wars battle escape attraction does the same thing.
I have little doubt it will wow us...but its pretty sad to realize that it opened in 95, and we've been devoid of "wow" since then. Maybe Radiator Springs...maybe. But nothing else.

mickEblu

I have little doubt it will wow us...but its pretty sad to realize that it opened in 95, and we've been devoid of "wow" since then. Maybe Radiator Springs...maybe. But nothing else.

Completely forgot about RSR. Hmmmm. For me personally it didn't have the WOW factor although I appreciate the size and scope and the fact that it is a solid E ticket. The mountain range definitely has the wow factor but the attraction not so much.

Last edited:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Completely forgot about RSR. Hmmmm. For me personally it didn't have the WOW factor although I appreciate the size and scope and the fact that is a solid E ticket.
True.
Soarin' had wow factor, but I just rode it on my last trip and its problematic in its current "new" version. Curved Eiffel Tower anyone?

Point is though, west coast has been largely lacking in newness for the better part of 2 decades. Indy was kind of the last hurrah for total attraction immersion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom