What's up with Animation Tour at MGM??

luvJC4saken

Original Poster
Ok, we all know that Feature Animation in Florida is done for, but no where have I found how this effected the attraction itself??

Did it close?? If so, how come it isn't indicated on www.disneyworld.com? Did they change it in some way? I thought the animation pavilion at DCA was decent without seeing the actual studio. I mean it wasn't the same, but there were plenty of fun and interesting things to do. I'll really miss Robin Williams and Walter Kronkite though if they're gone.

Bill

Account Suspended
Cronkite. ;)

But yea, they are gone, but were replaced with a movie with Mushu. I like the old one better. heh heh.

hoppypooh

I was very excited to do the animation tour in January - however I was very disappointed with the experience. The new movie does star Mushu (from Mulan) and just seemed like a big commercial to me. There was virtually nothing about the history/art/secrets of animation and it certainly didn't feature any "classic" characters or movies. As there were no animators left - the rest of the tour was pretty empty. Many of the windows into the animators offices were dark or blocked off with coverings.
The tour ends with a chance to draw your own Mickey (which is fun since I studied art) but this was certainly not the attraction I expected to find at the world's best known animation company!
This was one of the few real let-downs of the trip.

DisneyWood

Animation tour?

When did they decide to close down the animation studio? This was one of my favorite attractions at MGM Studios. I really enjoyed the mini movie with R. Williams and W. Conkrite. What did they replace it with? I am not sure that I completely understand.

Our family is heading to Disney World this coming fall and we are staying at Fort Wilderness (cabins). We have never stayed there and were curious about it. Could anyone give us an idea of what to expect? Like transportation to the parks, activities at the campground, pool, etc. We would appreciate it.:veryconfu

Mr. Tom Morrow

The Animation Tour was rehabbed late last year. The first film, the one that explained animation with Robin Williams and Walter Cronkite has been replaced with a film that explains the creation of a single character in this case Mushu. The second stop where we saw an Animator draw a character from a recent release was replaced with a cast member taking questions about animation. The third section was the fish bowl, the viewing area of the Animators at work. The final film, the one with the highlights of all past Disney movies has been replace with the animation academy where you can learn how to draw a character.

The Mushu film and the animation academy are both imported from the Animation attraction at California’s Adventure. The Mushu film is a downgrade from the Williams/Cronkite film. The cast member taking questions is a downgrade from the animator. As you probably know the Animators are now gone from the fish bowl. The animation academy is a good addition but not at the cost of loosing the movie it replaced. I don’t think I had ever seen anyone walk out of that movie and not have a tear or two in their eyes. This was a must do for us on every trip, sadly now we won’t return until there is another rehab completed.

Mr. Tom Morrow

Disney2002 – I feel your pain. The simple answer is that they do it the same way they replaced…….

Mr. Toad with Pooh or
Monster Soundstage with Sound Dangerous or
Kitchen Kabaret with Food Rocks or
Journey Into Imagination with Journey Into Your Imagination or
World of Motion with Test Track or
Horizons with Mission: Space or
you get the point!

Stop the insanity, update good attractions and place new ones in open locations!

mickeysaver

Being that I live on the boards, I knew about the fate that was in store for the animators and about the changes that had been made to the Animation Tour. We went though the attraction back in December. I cried. It was so sad. The heart and soul of what the attraction was supposed to celebrate was just gone.

This was such a huge difference from the experience we had there back in May of 2001. Jen Kagel was a CM on the tour that actually did the "meet the animator" part of the tour. She was so sweet. We asked for her autograph, she did us one better. She drew a Mickey head for us and signed it. It's framed and is displayed with our other Disney stuff. It was our favorite momento from the trip. Now it just makes me sad to know that that woman was an aspiring animator and is now, most likely, without a job.

Dangit. :brick:

Eisner :fork: and his bright freakin' ideas.

Maggie

Dayma

Eisner and his bright freakin' ideas.

Dot forget that we as Disney fans need to support the old syle animation for it to be a success and looking over the last few years that is not the case :(. This is not entirely Eisners fault on this one.

On the other hand I loved this attraction and I hate to see it go...

DarkMeasures

And nobody should be sad Food Rocks is gone because I went on it one last time because I knew it was closing and the show was horrible to the max.

Scooter

Originally posted by DarkMeasures
And nobody should be sad Food Rocks is gone because I went on it one last time because I knew it was closing and the show was horrible to the max.

I'm sad...I Loved Food Rocks.
ALl the music was from my generation so I found this show to be both entertaining and amusing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom