What's the scariest mountain?

SamandplanningUK

Original Poster
Nervous Nelly here! I have always had a bit of a fear of rollercoasters, having done Big Thunder and been ok I was wondering if anyone could tell me their opinion on whether Space Mountain is comparable to Big Thunder or is rougher/scarier.
I am very tempted to attempt all 3 Mountains on a date night with my hubby on our next trip.

jonnyc

Space Mountain feels rougher as you are closer to the track and feels faster as it's in a darker environment - however I would think you should be fine if you were okay on Thunder Mountain. Space and Thunder are no where near as intense as RNR or Expedition Everest.

I think I read somewhere that whilst Space Mountain feels fast, its top speed is only a few MPH more than the Barnstormer!

kalel8145

I agree with @jonnyc on Space Mountain. If you can do Thunder you should be ok.
Everest is a little more "adult" coaster. I don't mean it's only for adults, just has that bigger coaster feel. That's just how we referred to them when I was a kid, adult coasters and kid coasters. Has some bigger drops, some outside, some inside. It does have a short sections where it goes backwards. Still the top speed is around 50MPH I think so not too bad.
The good thing is that the drops end in a banked curve so it helps with the stomach quiver.

Smiley/OCD

For a coaster novice, the mountains can be a little intimidating…my DW doesn’t do coasters, so when it’s just the 2 of us, I’m solo.

The coasters at Disney aren’t “thrill rides” to the same degree as the coasters at UNI or most other parks.

For me, 6’3, my worst coaster at Disney is Space Mountain only because it’s in the dark and it really beats me up, but I’m kinda a glutton for punishment so I still go on it. If you’ve been on BTMRR, than 7DMT, Slinky DD, even EE should be fine…just don’t go on after you’ve eaten and if you’re really worried about it, try a pair of sea bands. Have an AWESOME time!!

graphite1326

Disney coasters really aren't that scary. If you would take the the top 20 scariest coasters in the country they probably would not make the list. The exception may be RNR and it would be in the low end of the scale. High end being the scariest. I do them all at Disney and I'm 65. Does that help?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I don't find thrill rides scary I find them fun so its kinda hard to say.

I guess it would depend on what scares you about them?

If the jerking around scares you then Space Mountain would be more scary because unless you have been on it a few times to know the layout its hard to let your body flow with the turns and drops.

If big hills are scary then Splash Mountain would be scarier.

Sbk1234

I think it may have to do with what aspect of roller coasters you find scary. If it's the speed, as has been already said, neither Space Mountain, nor Big Thunder are particularly fast. If it's about height, then in my opinion, Space Mountain shouldn't really be much of a problem since it's hard to actually determine the height, due to it being in the dark, so that may not be a problem.

JIMINYCR

Usually people fear the most what they dont know. So I'd suggest you go online and look up ride through videos on You tube which can give you a sense of what to expect. It may help you knowing how each coaster works. The dark aspects of each can make it more thrilling for some but more nerve wracking for others. Each coaster has its own roughness and the turns will jostle you differently with each unique set up and where you are seated as well. IMHO BTMRR with the scenery to look at as you roll through helps it be less frightening.
There are videos of SM running through with the lights on which can give you a lighted perspective of how it operates.
In both cases, be sure to secure your things, I have had a few hats almost fly off.

KaliSplash

Space is probably the scariets because it's in the dark. But as others have noted, the actual speed is not that fast. Test Track and Rockin Roller Coaster are much faster from a literal speed point of view. Splash has a big drop, as does Everest. Also as noted, depends on what scares you, speed, drops, inversions, ? Rockin Roller Coaster is the only one that goes upside down.

NelleBelle

Space isn't necessarily scary, but it is certainly "rough"! Heavens, I can't ride it anymore as I come out of there needing about 4 ibuprofen and a chiropractor! If you aren't really a coaster "fan", RnRC will certainly feel "scary" for the launch and the loops in the ride, but it is smooth and fun! If you can do BTMRR, you could certainly do EE--it's just bigger and faster.

Disstevefan1

Space Mountain feels rougher as you are closer to the track and feels faster as it's in a darker environment - however I would think you should be fine if you were okay on Thunder Mountain. Space and Thunder are no where near as intense as RNR or Expedition Everest.

I think I read somewhere that whilst Space Mountain feels fast, its top speed is only a few MPH more than the Barnstormer!
This 💯☝️

GuyFawkes

I'll say Space Mountain is not taller or bigger friendly. I'm 6 foot 190 Lbs and let me tell you the front seat is a squeeze for me. If you have long legs or you weight a lot SM will not be a friendly to you.

The ride it's self isn't very intense except for the fact that it's in the dark. If you could see everything it would be a fairly lame coaster.

Space isn't necessarily scary, but it is certainly "rough"! Heavens, I can't ride it anymore as I come out of there needing about 4 ibuprofen and a chiropractor! If you aren't really a coaster "fan", RnRC will certainly feel "scary" for the launch and the loops in the ride, but it is smooth and fun! If you can do BTMRR, you could certainly do EE--it's just bigger and faster.
I think this is right. If it's the "being jerked around" aspect of coasters that you dislike, Space is definitely rougher than BTMRR. I love them both but if you don't have a crick in your neck when you get on Space, you may well have one when you get off.

Walt Disney1955

Nervous Nelly here! I have always had a bit of a fear of rollercoasters, having done Big Thunder and been ok I was wondering if anyone could tell me their opinion on whether Space Mountain is comparable to Big Thunder or is rougher/scarier.
I am very tempted to attempt all 3 Mountains on a date night with my hubby on our next trip.

Oh yes, try all three of them. Splash Mountain is tame. It is a normal drop that other log rides have, but the ride in itself is actually calm and "Small World-like" before the big drop. You'll know you are going to be dropped for the long one at the end when you are being cranked up and there are vulture animatronics there.

Space Mountain actually only goes 28mph, but feels much faster. It is because it is in the pitch dark. So keep that in mind.

Thunder is probably the most thrilling with the most twists and turns. But the theming is great and the attention to detail is superb.

Ride them all.

Brer Oswald

I am typically intimated by drops, so I’d say Splash. Though if sudden turns in the dark frighten you, maybe Space. Thunder is the tamest of the three but still fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom