What's The Earliest I Can Arrive At One of The Parks?

muse1983

Original Poster
We are going to be staying off-site (Windsor Hills Resort 1 mile from Disney) in October and are planning on making it to all of the rope drops. My main question is what's the earliest time I can show up at the pay for parking area to get into the park? If the rope drop is at 9am for example I would like to be parked by 8am.

David S.

I'm not sure if the MK parking lot ever really closes. I know I've parked there as early as 5 AM before. If you get there real early (or late, depending on your point of view), there won't be any booths manned by attendants, and a sign will just say "Please proceed to your destination". (Not that dodging the parking fee is an issue for me, as it's covered on my AP).

Also during my visit to Star Wars Weekends last year, there were Star Wars fans parked all night at the Studios who were trying to be one of the first in line to get FP's for celebrity autographs the next day. I don't know if they made an exception and kept the parking lot open all night for this special case, though. But when I got to the park at around 7 AM (for a 9 AM opening), there were a bunch of people already there and a security guard told me "Many of them have been here all night!"

I do believe that at least the AK parking lot closes at some point though. I remember getting there at around 7 AM for an 8 AM opening and there were cones blocking access past the parking tollbooths. Shortly afterward, the cones were moved, a booth was manned, and the few cars already there were allowed in. Apparently that lot opens at least 1 hour before park opening and they were running a little late that day.

PS. Muse1983 - You have the right idea in wanting to get there by at least 8 AM for a 9 AM opening, especially at MK, as the MK has one issue not found at the other 3 parks. Transportation to the park itself!

Also, sometimes they stop filling the Minnie lot (the closest!) for some reason after just filling one or 2 rows and start parking Pluto, which is a bit further away. I've seen this happen as early as 8 AM or a few minutes after. So, you already have less time to work with if you are running a little late, and now you are faced with either waiting for the tram or a longer walk just to get to the TTC from your car.

In my experience, everytime I get there nice and early, (one hour before opening, the norm for me) everything goes smoothly with the monorail, and I get to the MK by around 8:30 AM for the 8:48/8:50 AM Welcome Show.

But almost without fail, (call it Murphy's Law), on the odd day I am running a little late, something always seems to be wrong with the monorail that causes me to either almost miss (or occasionally miss) the Welcome Show. Sometimes it's technical difficulties; other times they are late with the safety checks for Express, and the only option is the resort line, which takes longer to get to the MK since it has to stop twice. Further compounding the issue is if you are running late of the ideal 8 AM arrival time, the lines for the monorail can get backed up, especially if there is some sort of issue on their end. There is always more demand for the monorail the closer it gets to opening.

I think the first ferry is supposed to leave for the MK at around 8:30 AM, but I've seen days where it was later than this. The last time I was running later than 8 AM, the entire monorail system was down, but luckilly they were loading buses from the TTC and I walked into the MK turnstyles about 5 seconds before the first notes of the Welcome Show! ;)

SRisonS

Some of those Star Wars Weekends people actually line up the day before. And i'm not talking about 11:59 PM; I mean at like 9:00 AM. That's what they did when Billy Dee Williams was there, anyway. But i'm one of the crazies that has gotten then at like 3 AM before. ;)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Some of those Star Wars Weekends people actually line up the day before. And i'm not talking about 11:59 PM; I mean at like 9:00 AM. That's what they did when Billy Dee Williams was there, anyway. But i'm one of the crazies that has gotten then at like 3 AM before. ;)
My wife and I got to DHS at 3 AM for Billy Dee Williams and Ray Park last year. I was the second to last person to get a fast pass for Billy Dee. Good thing we did not sleep in and get there at some crazy late hour like 3:30 AM.:p

cowanfamily

My wife and I got to DHS at 3 AM for Billy Dee Williams and Ray Park last year. I was the second to last person to get a fast pass for Billy Dee. Good thing we did not sleep in and get there at some crazy late hour like 3:30 AM.:p

I honestly did not know the Star Wars weekends were this popular.

David S.

When I first started going to SW Weekends, I don't recall the line for Fastpasses to meet the celebrities forming outside the park before the park even opens. They used to use the FP machines over by Indy and all I had to do was get to the park early enough to get a good spot by the rope, and head to the machines right at rope drop.

With the current system of an "organized queue" forming outside the park before the park even opens, it seems to encourage the "camping out" phenomenon, and makes it harder to meet the celebrities for those not willing to camp out.

Not that I'm "complaining"; I understand that Disney didn't like having people running to the machines in a mob at rope drop and that they feel this way is safer and fairer. But I'm just saying this may be why it seems to be "getting worse" every year with having to get there so early to get the FPs.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
When I first started going to SW Weekends, I don't recall the line for Fastpasses to meet the celebrities forming outside the park before the park even opens. They used to use the FP machines over by Indy and all I had to do was get to the park early enough to get a good spot by the rope, and head to the machines right at rope drop.

With the current system of an "organized queue" forming outside the park before the park even opens, it seems to encourage the "camping out" phenomenon, and makes it harder to meet the celebrities for those not willing to camp out.

Not that I'm "complaining"; I understand that Disney didn't like having people running to the machines in a mob at rope drop and that they feel this way is safer and fairer. But I'm just saying this may be why it seems to be "getting worse" every year with having to get there so early to get the FPs.
Having been to nearly every SWW since 2001 the outside line ups became a necessity as the crowds have just gotten too large. There was quite a bit of line jumping happening the last year they did them using the Indy Machines. They then went to an outside line up that was marched into the parks and went to the FP machines at ST if I remember correctly. Same problems, not as bad but still there. I think it was the next year they went to the current system. You still have line saving which is a bit of a sore spot for some but the current system works the best for the crowds that they have. It is not perfect and the average guest that just shows up without knowing what is going on will kind of get the shaft but it beats the free for all that would happen without it.

ddbowdoin

I honestly did not know the Star Wars weekends were this popular.

Yes. And it has gotten worse every year. I shudder to think what I am in for on May 20th this year.

Having been to nearly every SWW since 2001 the outside line ups became a necessity as the crowds have just gotten too large. There was quite a bit of line jumping happening the last year they did them using the Indy Machines. They then went to an outside line up that was marched into the parks and went to the FP machines at ST if I remember correctly. Same problems, not as bad but still there. I think it was the next year they went to the current system. You still have line saving which is a bit of a sore spot for some but the current system works the best for the crowds that they have. It is not perfect and the average guest that just shows up without knowing what is going on will kind of get the shaft but it beats the free for all that would happen without it.

I am definitely a huge fan of the films... but I went in May of 2010 and I wasn't very impressed. Besides from the celebrity signings its nothing more than a parade and random prop sets throughout the park. I don't want to sound like a downer... but, nothing that impressive. I saw Star Wars Live in Concert... whoa baby, now that was amazing!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am definitely a huge fan of the films... but I went in May of 2010 and I wasn't very impressed. Besides from the celebrity signings its nothing more than a parade and random prop sets throughout the park. I don't want to sound like a downer... but, nothing that impressive. I saw Star Wars Live in Concert... whoa baby, now that was amazing!
Like I said when you had posted this before you missed a good half of what was offered at SWW.

David S.

My favorite part is the "Stars Of The Saga" talk show featuring interviews with whatever celebrities are guests that weekend, and hosted by the SW Weekends host of that year. This show has a hilarious preshow featuring the Stormtroopers. This now takes place inside the air-conditioned "Premiere Theatre" behind "San Francisco street" (it used to be where Idol is before Idol opened), and is one of the signature attractions of the event.

The indoor venue has other presentations as well, and the day concludes with the always festive "Hyperspace Hoopla" on the Jedi Training Academy stage, featuring a TON of SW characters.

Back in the days when the Millionaire Attraction was open, there was a special Star Wars themed edition of Millionaire. I would watch this show more at SW Weekends than I would the rest of the year! One of my favorite parts was when R2-D2 was one of the contestants!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
what else was there?

My favorite part is the "Stars Of The Saga" talk show featuring interviews with whatever celebrities are guests that weekend, and hosted by the SW Weekends host of that year. This show has a hilarious preshow featuring the Stormtroopers. This now takes place inside the air-conditioned "Premiere Theatre" behind "San Francisco street" (it used to be where Idol is before Idol opened), and is one of the signature attractions of the event.

The indoor venue has other presentations as well, and the day concludes with the always festive "Hyperspace Hoopla" on the Jedi Training Academy stage, featuring a TON of SW characters.

Back in the days when the Millionaire Attraction was open, there was a special Star Wars themed edition of Millionaire. I would watch this show more at SW Weekends than I would the rest of the year! One of my favorite parts was when R2-D2 was one of the contestants!
David summed it up quite nicely. In addition if you are there when Ray Park is appearing he does a show called a Day at the Maul where he shows of some of his Wu-shu forms and does a class with about 30 kids. Also thy have a show called behind the force that details the making of the movies and tv shows. Last year they did audio recording sessions with some of the voice talent from the Clone Wars.

flavious27

We are going to be staying off-site (Windsor Hills Resort 1 mile from Disney) in October and are planning on making it to all of the rope drops. My main question is what's the earliest time I can show up at the pay for parking area to get into the park? If the rope drop is at 9am for example I would like to be parked by 8am.

Leave the car overnight at FW and stay overnight on tom sawyer island.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom